1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Anybody have a Corgi dog for a house pet?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Chris, Feb 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris

Chris TS Member

Had to put down our 13 1/2 year old Shitzu and were looking to get another house dog. Does anyone have any experience with a Corgi? What kind of house dog do they make? Pictures would be helpful!

Thank you!

Chris

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

The AKC link to Cardigans is above; the Pembroke here:

http://www.akc.org/breeds/pembroke_welsh_corgi/photos.cfm

I've known a couple and they were fine house pets with a nice attitude.

Neil

3. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

The girl that rides my event horse has one. She brings him to the barn every day. He's hilarious!

He's dominant over other dogs that come to the barn, but that may be his personality. He's not mean about it (no growling or biting), but he torpedoes other dogs by running at them and slamming into them. The big dogs in the barn are afraid of him. LOL!!!

He definitely herds...horses, cats, puppies, etc. He's very quick, and he likes a lot of attention. He is a high-energy dog.

He's pretty smart.

Keep in mind that the only Corgi I've ever known is this one.

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Nice looking dog, but it looks like his legs never grew in proportion to the rest of his body. IMHO.......

Hauxfan!

5. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Here is one for you French Bull Dog Best Dog I have ever had and he was born deaf. If I didn't tell you he was deaf you would never know. Bill
    <a href="http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/billgrill/?action=view&current=DSC00074.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    Cat is just there to show Tron what a grown up cat looks like. Her name is EM
    it is short for eating machine. Good luck with your hunt and I am very sorry you lost your pal. Regards, Bill

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

They do a lot of yip yipping. Way to much noise for me

7. shadow

shadow Active Member

A neighbor had one that I adored. For sure,"Lilly" was a keeper.

8. pfofml

pfofml Member

I worked with a woman who suffered from degenerative polio. Her trained sevice dog was a corgi. The dog could remove her stockings, pickup and replace the telephone, and could find her car keys. It was an experince to watch that dog do its work. I also worked with a woman who was born without arms. Setting with her in the cafiteria while she fed herself, was a rememberance. She could also strike matches and light her our cigarretts using her feet. She did not drive an automobile.

PF

9. cls

cls Member

My daughter has one, noisiest darn dog I ever saw... cls

10. skiroy

skiroy TS Member

My son has a Corgi and he is a great dog. Well behaved and not a lot of work. Doesn't bark or yip a lot either. Training is everything in any dog!!!
    Laurence

11. Fireball

Fireball Member

My wife and I have a 5 year old Pembroke Corgi and a 15 year old beagle. Both females. Rosebud and Daisy, my two flowers. lol
    The corgi is a great little dog at about 29 lbs. and much smarter than the beagle. She is a excellent watch dog but is really a big chicken. They tend to be couch potatoes and would rather watch other dogs play.
    When we go in the woods she always stays very close to us, which I like, whereas the beagle is on a leash. She barks very little and usually only when the doorbell rings but she will "speak" to you around dinner time.
    Great little dog and she loves to travel. Dave

12. Chris

Chris TS Member

Bill you look so content! Not a worry in the world! I like your animals!!!!! That is one big cat!

Keep them comming. Thanks for the pictures from some of you!

Chris

13. chastaj

chastaj Member

We have a 6 yr old female corgi in our home, they are really smart, but has started barking a lot more as she has gotten older when she wants food, or needs to go outside.

14. TF

TF Active Member

Had a Corgi-Lab mix that lived to be 17. Geot her at the local shelter when she was 2. Probably the best dog I've had; smart, protective of the family and just a great companion. She too had a dominate personality and wasn't shy about letting other animals know it. Funny, even the biggest dogs always get out of her way. She displayed all the appearance characteristics of a welsh corgi, except she was solid black. Havea purebred rat terrier adopte from the same shelter now. Pretty good dog; smart as can be but scared of everthing. She also doesn't appear to have an off switch--pretty much goes at full speed all the time. Often shelter dogs make fine pets.

Tom Frazer

15. BustClays

BustClays Member

This is my shelter rescue dog, Mandy. I got her out of a municipal pound in Savannah, Ga. about 12 days ago. They were going to put her down. She is as sweet as they come. About two years old, 36 pounds, color of a lab but the size of a very small Springer. She is going to be a great dog for us. I looked for a dog for about 3 months and finally found her on-line (petfinder.com), I drove 250 miles to get her. I hope that you will be as lucky as we are.

bustclays

<a href="http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c224/rdrnr/?action=view┬Ąt=mandybeforeadoption.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

PS, I took her to trap shoot last week. She was a real hit with all the guys and never flinched a bit with the shooting. She even growled at a few of the grouches. I told them that was because she was a good judge of character.

16. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss! A friend had Corgi's for years and they are great little dogs. I enjoyed rough housing with his dogs every time I was there. He thought they were the best breed out there.

17. fletcher

fletcher TS Member

My Mom has Corgi's and they are thearapy dogs here in Nebraska. They are the Queens dogs as she tells all the kids she works with, each has their own personality but all just as special as can be. They do shed some but she loves them to peices. If you want to talk to her she would be happy to spend your nickels on the phone drop me a PM and I will get you in touch with her. Jeff

18. tallpaul

tallpaul Member

A good friend of mine had a Corgi, and I had the good fortune to spend quite a bit of time around this dog for several years. I had never seen one before, but I have to say she was the funniest, sweetest dog I've ever known. She would sit in front of me and I would talk to her and she would talk right back! I can't tell you how much I wished I knew what she was trying to say. When she finally had to be put down, I cried like a baby. If I ever move to a place where I can have a dog, it will be a Corgi.

19. BustClays

BustClays Member

hey rich-s,
    Thanks regarding Mandy. Check out the tail?

<a href="http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c224/rdrnr/?action=view&current=P1020168_edited-1.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Since she's a spaniel, it was suggested that I have her tail docked, but I think it gives her personality so I am leaving it as it is. I like it that way.

20. 9800312

9800312 TS Member

I raised and showed Pembroke Welsh Corgis for several years and wouldn't be without one. Hubby and I have only one as a pet now. As you can see by the different responses, they are all different. Personally I have only had one yapper. All depends on the breeding. They come in various shades of red with white markings and in tri-color. The reds are usually more striking to look at but their coats are a bear to take care of. You can't comb them until they are completely dry....the tri's on the other hand have a much harder outer coat for whatever reason and you can give them a bath..towel them off and comb them. Corgis do shed but usually is gone in a couple of weeks if you comb them. Most bitches are alpha....very bossy to other dogs and protective of their "people"...while the males are usually not overly concerned with protecting anything but their current girlfriend..if they have one. As with any dog they all have different personalities...from laid back to wildly playful. They love kids but sometimes scare little ones as they herd everything in sight that moves. Show breeders will charge you way too much money for a pet. Best bet is to find someone who breeds for pets and there are not many reputable pet breeders out there. The corgi we have now came from the Ashland, Ohio area and is a real joy. If you have ever shot in Mason, Mi or been to the Missouri Fall shoot you may have seen him as we take him with us a lot. If you need more information feel free to e-mail me (drop the x's in the e-mail address) and I will give you some information on where to find some good refernce material.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.