1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T any veterinarians on this site?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bodybuilder, May 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

    bodybuilder TS Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    1,118
    My vet says my dog was poisoned last week. He has spent several days at the vet getting IV's and medicine. Yesterday she pumped him up again and said the blood work showed his liver was getting better but his kidneys worse. She said the kidneys can substain some damage and he can still live if we can keep enough fluids going thru him to flush out any toxins left. I'm to give him Malox every day and take him in for IV treatment every other day. She is basing his kidneys getting worse by the high creatine and bun level which she said added together was 115. Any advise or answers? Thanks
     
  2. grnberetcj

    grnberetcj Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    5,680
    Sounds like the dog got into some rat poison...Happened to my Lab some years ago. Lots of Vitamin K helped.

    Curt
     
  3. pyrdek

    pyrdek Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    2,297
    More Likely candidate, but not the only candidate is grape or rasin poisoning. Kidney failure is the ultimate result of dogs eating as few as seven rasins. Check out the Snopes page for additional information. I am NOT a Vet but my daughter, who works as a licensed wildlife rehabilitator, is aware of this problem occurring. Many times the result is a dead dog but no one even suspected raisins or grape based products, including juice, jams or such.

    The Vitamin K mentioned is for Warfarin/cumadin (sp?) poisoning. This cause severe internal bleeding by greatly reducing the clotting ability of the blood. That does not seem to match with the symptoms you described.

    Good luck with you dog.
     
  4. arend003

    arend003 Member

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2008
    Messages:
    265
    with the kidney problems I would also consider anti freeze as a possibility would raise the creatine levels. with the rodenticides mentioned you would have a prolonged clotting time and elevated ACT.
    And as mentioned raisins can also cause severe kidney damage. any other lab tests run?
     
  5. Kim Little

    Kim Little Member

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2008
    Messages:
    596
    Location:
    Washington D.C.
    I am glad to hear that they figured out what happened to your companion. I am sorry to hear about the poisoning. Not a vet, but my Jack Russell ate a small bottle of children's Tylenol out of my purse and we had to go through the Malox routine too. Lucky for her she pulled through with no lasting disability. They can get into anything, chocolate causes pancreatitis. This was the first I heard of grapes and raisins. My dad lost a dog to antifreeze. Praying for a complete recovery. Kim
     
  6. SR1

    SR1 TS Member

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2007
    Messages:
    390
    Hope the dog pulls through I had to put my yellow lab Bono down a year ago because of kidney issues. I would ask the vet if they would let you do the IV at home to save on some costs. The vet I use will let you do as much home care as is possible to save some coin. That is as long as its not something that needs to be done by a vet the vitamin K is a good idea ask them. Good luck and I hope all is well for you and the dog soon.
     
  7. bodybuilder

    bodybuilder TS Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    1,118
    All other blood tests normal but creatine and bun.
     
  8. Dahaub

    Dahaub Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    1,309
    Sorry to hear of your pets poisoning. Man did I learn a lot about the things dogs are poisoned by. You guys should read the articles from the first posting and learn what never to let your dogs get ahold of. Never would have thought those foods would have caused those illnesses. Dan
     
  9. pyrdek

    pyrdek Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    2,297
    The URL listed above has a listing of many things that are poi]sinous to canines. You may want to take a look at what can injure or kill your dog. There is also a 24 hour hotline (fee charged) to connect to an animal poison control.

    Among them are:
    Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
    Alcohol
    Antifreeze
    Aspirin
    Avocado
    Caffeine
    Chocolate
    Cleaners
    Fish
    Antifreeze
    Garlic
    Grapes
    Insecticide
    Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin)
    Lead
    Macadamia Nuts
    Mothballs
    Naproxen (Aleve)
    Onions
    Plants
    Psuedophedrine (Sudafed)
    Raisins
    Rat Poison
    Salmon
    Slug and Snail Poison
    Tick Products
    Zinc
     
  10. X Trap 2

    X Trap 2 TS Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    1,125
    This is a vet surgeon that posted on other thread. Might send him a PM. Ray.....


    Subject: O/T does everyone hurt this much?
    From: bob radasch
    Email:
    Date: Tue, May 12, 2009 - 05:15 PM ET
    Website Address:

    If your current vet doesnt know whats wrong- I would not just put him/her to sleep without knowing what the problem is. The problem very well may be a bad one with no good treatment and putting her to sleep might be the best answer. But untill you know what truely is wrong- its a guess right now.

    Ask to be referred to a veterinary board certified internal medicine specialist - they will have more expertise, experience and diagnostic equipment to at least give you an answer of what is wrong- then and only then will you be able to make an educated decision if euthanasia is the correct/best answer.

    Im a board certified vet surgeon- and I cant tell you how many times over the past 23 years I have seen animals that the client was told by one vet that their pet needed to be put to sleep - when in fact they had a treatable problem with a good long term prognosis. Again - your vet might be right on the $ and euthanasia is the best answer- but how can anyone know for sure without a diagnosis. I suspect they will recommend an ultrasound to at least start out.

    Look up American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine - you should be able to find someone in your geographic area to get a referral. If your current vet wont give you a refferal- then go to a different vet to get one!!!!!!!!

    Good luck and I hjope all turns out well

    Bob R
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.