1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T any Traffic Laywers out there?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by richrob, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrob

richrob TS Member

Anybody out there any knowledge of Illinois traffic laws? I got a speeding ticket in the begining of March, took the class and got supervision, 6 months I believe. That was my first ticket.

Saturday I lost control of my vehicle and wrecked it. I was given an improper lane usage ticket, as well as a failure to reduce speed, giving me 3 tickets in a year, afeter going 6 years without one.

Do I need to get a lawyer to assure I do not get my license suspended?

Thanks, Rich

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

If your licence is in jeopardy, then yes I would get an attorney.

Just because you get an attorney doesnt mean you will not lose your licence but you at least will have an advocate for you.

Cheaper isnt better. You need to get an attorney that deals routinely with the prosecuter in that jurisdiction. Ask for reccomendations.

regards from Iowa

Gene

3. yodes

yodes TS Member

The first question is are all the tickets in the same county? If the tickets from the accident are in a different county than the supervision, then the first county will most likely not pick up the new tickets. We usually only checked to see the fine was paid and traffic school completed, although some counties may do things differently now.

In any event, try to have the new tickets set for hearing after the period of supervision is completed. Go ask the traffic clerk to set your tickets for a pre-trial conference in October or something. At the pre-trial, you'll most likely get an offer from the State's Attorney. My advice would be to see if they will dismiss one ticket for a plea to the other, maybe with an enhanced fine. It was a one-car accident it sounds like, you didn't hit anyone/anything else?

Hope this is of some help.

Steve

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Yes, get an Attorney because you will need legal representation and thats not a guarantee that you will not lose your license ... I'm not sure how the points system in Illinois works now, but it used to be 3 tickets in one year and you lost your driving privilages for up to a year ... I'd check with the Secretary of State and get a booklet they have for new drivers that explains all of the ways the system there works ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Rich,

Depending on your relationship with your insurance agent, you could also talk with him/her. My agent is a friend of mine, and very knowedgeable about the traffic laws. He also gave me the name of an attorney in our church who cut me a deal on a minor case. Same outcome, but I didn't have to show up for the traffic court.

An attorney referred by someone like that usually beats someone out of the phone book. Also, if you wait a little while, you'll start getting letters from attorneys. Then those attorneys are fair game to ask questions and get some small amount of up front advice.

Danny

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

Dude ... your screwed.

You might want to ask your attorney about the scooter laws in Illinois also. When you lose your license you will want to be sure your new transportation will be small enough as to not require you to have a license for it ... they used to call them mopeds I think.

Good luck but ... your probably screwed and are going to lose the license.

7. yodes

yodes TS Member

It actually does matter if the second (and third) tickets are in the same county as the supervision. If the tickets are kept pending until the period of supervision is over, and the State's Attorney doesn't file a petition to revoke the supervision, then the first ticket is dismissed. The SA would file such a petition if the fine is not paid, the school is not attended, or a new violation occurs during the six month supervision. If the tickets are not in the same county, the only real way the SA would find out is running the driving record with the Secretary of State, which only shows convictions and supervisions for regular traffic tickets. The new tickets won't show up on the driving record until that case is concluded.

Just my two cents worth.

Here's hoping no one from the first State's Attorney's office reads trapshooters.com.

8. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

I have gotten a speeding ticket or two through the years but I never had to "take a class" and be "supervised". How far over the speed limit were you?? Now you are driving down the road, lose control of the car, wreck the car, and pick up a couple more tickets.

Rich Rob, I hope you are. Three convictions for traffic violations within a 12-month period can result in the revocation or suspension of your driving privilege. How long this revocation or suspension lasts depends on the number of points you have accumulated against your license.

First-Time Suspension

If you have not had your license suspended or revoked for the past seven years, these penalties apply:

0 to 14 points?no action
    15 to 44 points?2-month suspension
    45 to 74 points?3-month suspension
    75 to 89 points?6-month suspension
    90 to 99 points?9-month suspension
    100 to 109 points?12-month suspension
    110 or more points?12-month revocation

I suspect the tickets you picked up were at least 20 points a pop. I won't wish you good luck because I feel the same way 687EEL does - the other drivers need people like you walking.

9. frank t

frank t TS Member

Dont mess with it. Get a lawyer. The lawyer may not get all the tickets dismissed but may be able to get the majority of them erased. Go in and consult a lawyer to see exactly where u stand. The county the tickets were issued in is also important. Make surfe the lawyer handles traffic cases in that county. He/she will no the judges and what can be done.

Frank T

10. Bubba

Bubba Member

Pretty sad a guy can't ask a question on TSC without being judged.

11. vanman

vanman TS Member

Congrads on going six years between tickets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.