1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T any plumbers out there?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Frank C, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Question for a plumber...I have a aged Delta Scald guard Shower stall faucet, the problem.....when the water gets HOT, the whole unit starts to stutter, a rapid stacatto, turning the water temp down and it goes away. I replaced the guts of the valve, which I didn't think would help, and it didn't. any ideas?

2. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Perhaps the "Scald Guard" is attempting to shut down the flow of really HOT water....... as the name implies. My suggestion is to simply replace it with a new unit if you can't run the water hot enough to suit you without all the racket.

Easystreet

3. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

After 42 years of questions like this do yourself a favor and replace it with a Moen posi-temp. That is my best advice to you.
    If it is in a hard place get to (fiberglass unit) it can be done with a mini copper cutter and be sure to buy slip couplings (no roll stop),,Need any more help PM me,,,jim

4. Frank C

the problem is that it IS really hard and will require cutting the wall etc. I just want to know WHY it is happening at this point.....see the pic, what are the two valves to either side???
    [​IMG]

5. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I live in an older house with really hard water. In other words it eats copper. If I get 8 to 10 years out of a unit I'm lucky. Just replace it and thats that. You can keep trying to fix it and wast time and money.

6. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Frank, I'm no plumber, but the valves you ask about are just flow/volume controls for the hot and cold. In my camp in NB. I have to remove them with a 9/16 wrench to fully drain the valve body. Sorry I can't help you with the problem. I had the same problem with the shower in my old house in Lynnfield. When it burned down in 93 the problem went with the house. I do not recommend that as a solution by any means. Good luck, Bob

7. hammer-time

hammer-time TS Member

I agree, replace it! I believe it's Delta that makes a metal piece that will allow you to cut your shower surround a little and install another control vavle in it's place. The piece even comes with a template to use to cut the wall. Makes for a clean installation without having to install a new shower wall system.

8. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

Remove the black ring that sits around the valve and replace it through the hole you pictured. I've replaced many shower valves throught the shower unit wall. Yes it sucks but so does patching a wall. Looks like money to me I do that stuff for a living

9. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

Frank that valve body can be replaced through the existing hole,,or Meon makes a chrome plate called a repair cover which will allow you to cut the hole larger,they look good when finished,,,

10. d endicott

d endicott Member

the two screws are water shut offs so that you can repair the internal parts of the valve....if you can not get it repaired replace the valve.

11. Frank C

all fixed, the hot water shut off washer is just a slip fit over the stem, no traditional screw to hold it in place.....the washer was sloppy loose, as a result it would start fluttering, slipped a new one on and ahhhhh hot silence...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.