1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Any one like to snowmobile?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rifle guy, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rifle guy

rifle guy TS Member

Just wounderin if any one on this forum likes to ride because all i hear is complaining about the weather and the cold. Granted there hasent been much snow this year but still!!!

Rifle guy

2. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

Grand Maris, MI 2002.

[​IMG]

Have been out of it for a couple of years. But still have a 97 XC600 project sled. Have replaced nearly every part on the thing I believe. It started out stock weighing 494 lbs. with 94 HP. Now it weighs under 400 lbs. and has over 150 HP. Many $$$ later.

[​IMG] cls

3. rifle guy

rifle guy TS Member

I rode a 700xc anivarsary ed. 2 seasons ago. nice sled
    im now on a 06' fusion 600 and love it.

rifle guy

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I used to work at a Polaris shop a few yeas ago and had a 700 Ultra as a demo. Everyone was raving about the 12" suspension on the XLT's and they couldn't understand why I was railing around them in the tight stuff. The 10" suspension on the Ultra was plenty and with the lower center of gravity I could out turn them. The extra HP didn't hurt either!

ec90t

5. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

When in Colorado skiing and the weather turns extra cold and windy we then bundle up and go snowmobiling. I learned a lot the first time out. Lots of fun and great scenery to see. Ray

6. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

grew up on them. gave it up a while back when western ny quit getting the snow like we used to.

brett d.

7. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Finally getting some snow today in NH!!Trails should be better by this weekend..._Frank C. (Polaris RXL)

8. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

MIA, Gerry let's you ride that ditch pickle with him and Cheryl? Just funnin with ya. My brother in law has the same sled. I ride a 2000 Pol Triumph (same thing as an XLT). Well, it sits in my garage more than anything. The kids have put 30+ miles riding in the yard. Not much snow down here in Southern IA, and if there was, very limited trail system. WI spoiled me. Great trails when there is snow.

9. chopperman

chopperman Member

I ride a 2005 RX 1 Yamaha. We have been riding Franklinville area NY. and Northern PA . Got 12 inches last night and still snowing . Will be riding this afternoon. Chris

10. rifle guy

rifle guy TS Member

I just came back from Rhinelander (northern WI). The trails were much better than i expected but were a little thin on the corners. Hope to ride some here at home in IA if the ditches get good fluff in em. Need more snow and less sub zero temps.

Rifle guy

11. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

MIA - I've got a cottage in Webster on Warner Lake just west of Spooner. Some beautiful country up there isn't it?

12. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

Tom, if I'm not mistaken that 2000 Triumph was the last year for the Fuji 597 monoblock XLT triple. Great engine, they put it in a ton of sleds for quite a few years.

Anyone ever ride Wawa, ON.? cls

13. Mac V

Mac V Guest

To those of you who ride these things...

what works best to keep you out of someones fields and off their property??

Signs haven't worked, threats don't seem to do anything and I can prosecute only the ones I catch.

Mike

14. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Until they come out with a cab and a heater ..... NO

15. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

Chuck, you're correct. It was the last of the little tripples. By today's standards a little light on HP for a 600cc but plenty for me. Fortunately, my son isn't heavy enough to allow for good weight transfer so the track just spins when he pins the throttle. If it would hook up he'd never wear out the carbides cause they wouldn't be on the ground very much :)

Rifle Guy, Where you live in IA?

16. XT Trap

XT Trap TS Member

Nothing better to do when there is about a half a foot of snow or more. 2005 Arctic Cat F-7, with all extras pushing 175hp.

17. Mac V

Mac V Guest

From MIA:

<blockquote><I>"mike. That is a good question. Seems nothing has worked in some areas. MOstly where there are few trails. Write me will ya and tell me whare you are and will see if I see any potential solution. You can write back on this forum as this is not confidential stuff. Jack"</I></blockquote>

I live in the southern part of Penna. in an area that doesn't have an extensive snowmobile culture and only a few trails. Riding on public roads (except those signed for snowmobiles) is illegal. The people here who buy these things know full well that local riding areas are almost non-existent and they're are too bloody cheap (or lazy) to trailer them to places suitable for riding. So they just ride illegally...on roads and on other people's property. They destroyed over $3000 worth of tree seedlings in my bottom meadow a couple years ago and I have to replace some of my shock fences every spring because they ride through them.

The land is signed and posted all around the perimeter and there are gates on all the accesses. They just ride through the creeks or over my fences. The police tell me to call when I see trespassers but police cars are useless against people on sleds. I know damned well I'll suffer the consequences if I do anything to hurt these people but I don't know what else to do.

Mike

18. ol 12 shooter

ol 12 shooter TS Member

Mike,

You tend to loose a whole lot more then a fence or seedlings if you harm one of them. Maybe it's time to find a sled (borrow or buy) to ride your property on and catch them yourself. Get a sled and a cell phone and enjoy the ride. If you see anyone call the police and keep going, I'll bet they'll stop and talk to you about riding while the police come..(sneaky) Also tracks aren't that hard to follow in a fresh snow right to thier front door.

ol 12

19. Skeeix

Skeeix TS Member

There is a snowmobile race going on in Alaska right now where they race 1960 miles in 6 days. If you google Tesoro Iron Dog you can find out about it. The 2nd place team last year lost by 1 second at the finish line after 6 days of racing. The top sleds are Artic Cats.

Clyde

20. Mac V

Mac V Guest

It looks like somebody decided to donate a snowmobile to me last night. I found a red machine with its back half stuck in the muddy bottom of my pond this morning and a pair of work boots filled with mud close by. Looks like a couple riders tried to cross the pond and one broke through the ice trying to climb out onto the impoundment dam. He must have revved the heck out of it cause its covered with mud. Doesn't look like any fuel has leaked into the water. The State Police are coming this afternoon and I'll drag the thing out with the CAT and stick it in the equipment shed until someone shows up. Police say they can tell who bought it by the registration sticker. I'm going to enjoy this!!

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.