1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Any masonry waterproofing contractors out ther

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bigbore613, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

I am waterproofing a large brick house with an alchol based Chemtrete BSM 40. My question is where can I get a spray wand to use with a Binks pressure pot.I would like to have one that could be extended with add on sections. Any help appreciated. Jeff

2. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Check out a B&G wand as they use in the pest control industry. I used my B&G stainless 2 gallon sprayer and wand and sealed a friends house with some kind of silicon spray. Ray.....

3. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

you need low pressure to spray or you will get a lot of loss of product. There are a lot of sealers . You get what you pay for, Thompson Water seal is the best at the price. It is not the best just best for price. the hand garden sprayer is the best way to go-no hoses to fight with- and you can control the spray better. rick

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

What I am looking for is a wand that will give me the aproximate pattern and delivery close to a pump sprayer. I am using a pressurized 10 gallon pot so I can maintain a constant pressure and even coating. This house is over 12,000 square feet. I already have the commercial waterproofing picked out , a silane product. I have done tests to determine coverage with a pump sprayer. If I have to I will fabricate one. Again I am looking for someone in the commercial waterproofing trade. Thanks, Jeff

5. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

6. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

7. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

well i dont know what you are wanting you can use the wand off a pressure washer that has the changeable tips to make a flat--round-- cone-- what ever you want they will work at any pressure. You only want around 10psi rick

8. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Rick , there are extendable versions I saw years ago and maybe the ones you are talking about are. I have five huge chimneys that are going to take all the reach of our 86 foot manlift to get to. The house has a newly renovated slate roof and we dont want to get on it unless there is no other way. I will check on the pressure wands and see if they are alchol safe. Thanks , Jeff

9. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I have sealed many commercial buildings and factories using pump sprayers. I rebuild and seal aprox 150 chimneys a year.

Shannon

10. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

I understand a pump sprayer will work , but not as consistant as a pressure rig and the chimneys are 1/100 th of the job. Jeff

11. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

86 ft chimney on a house?? Where do you live, The Biltmore House? Have the staff seal it.

12. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Typical , Bisi if you have nothing positive, .....

13. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

My comments weren't meant to be negative. I was impressed by the fact that you said an 86ft manlift would be strecthed. I have never seen a chimney that tall on a single family home. 86ft. that is 17 sections of 5ft scaffolding tall.

Quite impressive.

14. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Bisi, to the top of the chimney is only 60 feet, keep in mind that with a straight stick boom you must be a good ways from the house and the back side of each chimney is near the peak of the roof , so I would be spraying the back side from the opposite side of the house. the house is nearly 50 feet wide.I am not sure the lift at max extension will get to the back of the chimney. That is why I am looking for an extendable wand. Jeff

15. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

I dont know if you do this all the time the ajustable telescope pressure wand is not cheap the one that will reach 24 ft is about $1800 I dont know if you live near a large rental place they may have one. you can make one for a little job go to plumbing supply and get 1/4 in ridged copper pipe and put a small rope around the end to help hold it from bending you can use hose and clamps for low pressure. The pipe is avaible in 20ft rick

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

Sealing just a 6 foot chimney that is near the center of a slate roofed home could be quite a challenge. I understand the problem faced by Jeff well enough to know I can't help him with a solution. That fact that you have an 86 foot lift tells me that you have a lot of experience with this type of work.

Jeff- Good luck. Let us, or at least me, know how you solve this problem.

Pat Ireland

17. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Maybe a picyure or two will help. Jeff

18. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Jeff, You will be supprised at how little time it takes to seal those chimneys with your 86' rig and a good manual pump applicator {deck sprayer} . I see the most of your time in covering windows and finishes on the main elevations {sealers can leave spots . Getting around the trees and shrubs with your machine will take some time, I found JLG's with "up and over" capacity to be helpfull. I hope you have dry weather to prevent turf damage. {watch for sprinkler heads with that heavy of a lift.}

Waterproofing can be profitable if damages and overspray can be kept to a low roar. I hope all goes well.{wear the safety harness].

O'Shannons building Restoration Inc.

19. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Shannon, I am restoring the whole house inside and out. All the slate has been removed and complete roof resoration has been completed. All exterior paint surfaces are being stripped to bare wwod along with restoration where needed.All the mortar joints have been ground out and re tuck pointed. The whole house including the chimney's are being waterproffed. coverage is running about 25 square feet per gallon so close to 400 gallons for these porus made on site brick. We did it with pump sprayers 30 years ago. No fun. so this time I am using a 10 gallon Binks pressure pot with agitator set to about 10 pounds. With this setup the pressure is constant so even coverage is much easier to obtain and refils 5 to 1 less.Also where ladder work is needed you just have the wand and hose. Glad to have the work in this recession. Jeff

20. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Sounds like you have it covered, definately a high profile project. 100% mortar and new slate replacement in it's own right would be very costly. I guess I'm old school on sealers[400 gals sounds heavy}, and my guys are hard on expensive frail parts being masons.

I aways like to learn new ways, Thank you,
    Shannon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.