1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T - Any GM/Buick techs ??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by PA101_guy, Dec 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

Hi all,

I have a 1997 Buick Park Avenue and the rear window defogger suddenly quit working. The car also has heated mirrors which function from the same control.....both mirrors heat up and function as they should. The window grid is in pristine condition with no breaks anyplace.

Any suggestions on where to begin my diagnosis ?

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

2. cnsane

cnsane Member

That'd be the f u s e. Followed to the control switch. Followed by the timer/relay. No offense, but if you didn't know to test (not visually check) the fuse for continuity first, you probably shouldn't play around behind the dash, either. Or as we used to say in the dealership, "I'm sure it's nothing money can't fix- when would you like to schedule your appointment." In the meantime, a schematic and a VOM or circuit test probe light are going to be needed.

3. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

No offense taken Cnsane...it was late when I made my post and I guess I wasn't clear enough. The obvious has already been checked out....fuses, relays, the grid, connections. I was hoping to hear from someone who based on their experience with Buicks, could perhaps steer me in the right direction with this.

I have the factory service manuals and a basic knowledge of the electrical system. No damn scan tool though to check the HVAC programmer and BCM. Thought somebody might be able clue me in possibly saving me a lot of time and money. I'd really like to get it working again without emptying my wallet for a dealer fix.

Thanks,

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

4. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

Dave: I do alot of electrical work on cars. If this was brought to me this is what I would start out with. I use a Fluke set in Ohms. Unplug both electrical connectors off the back window. Check reading between pins on glass. If open its in the glass. If has continuity then next is to check the wires at the window. Both should go to front of car. If you already have a wiring diagram and know what wire goes back there check continuity of both. If they are good then the dealer probably have a BCM and HVAC programmer to try and see which one is the problem. email me if you need to. Don

5. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

I had a similar problem with my '97 Buick. It was caused by a broken connection at the terminal on the window on the right side. They had to replace the rear window. They also managed to drop it on the rear fender when they took it off. My car was in the shop for two days. Ron

6. Doubles Shooter

Doubles Shooter Member

I had a similar problem with my 98 LeSabre. There is a module in the passenger side hidden under the interior trim panel between the back window and the rear passenger window. The panel pulled off in my car and it was hidden there. The module also is the signal booster for the radio antenna[the radio antenna cable plugs into it]. I had to replace the module and the wires leading to it. It was only available at the dealers. It was quite pricey like all dealer stuff. Hope this helps.

7. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

Thanks to all who've responded thus far. It's been so nasty here for the last few days I haven't been able to do anything. Can't stand the cold like I used to.

I'll update my progress for those interested as soon as I find something out.

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

8. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

dblsshtr, you nailed it. The module was bad just like the one in your LeSabre. The plug and module were both melted. Luckily only the plug was trashed no wiring was damaged. I found out it's a common issue with these rear defogger/antenna style windows. It's a weak design and eventually the module just overheats and fries. I installed a new plug and module .....problem solved !

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

9. Doubles Shooter

Doubles Shooter Member

Dave,

Glad it helped. Happy New Year.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.