1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T-Any coin collectors here?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gbatch, Dec 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

I'm not a coin collector but am intrigued by the newly minted $1.00 Presidential coins. I can go to the bank and get them or I can sign up with some firm like Franklin Mint and they send them to me as issued. Any thoughts / advice from knowledgeable folks here is much appreciated.

Gene Batchelar

Wheaton, IL

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I think the Franklin mint went out of business years ago.

3. WilliamMR

WilliamMR Active Member

Not sure if this site is the original Franklin Mint, but check it out. I don't collect, but maybe these are the dollars you're looking for.

Bill Radwan

4. Disco200

Disco200 TS Member

Do not go thru any third party dealer. Go to the usmint.gov website and buy direct from the mint. Been buying proof sets and others for 39 years direct from the mint.
    Merry Christmas.

5. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I buy new uncirculated rolls of the $1 coins from the bank within a few days of their release. I have the bank stamp the roll with the date and put them away. I'm not a coin collector but a coin gatherer. Each year I also buy the Silver Dollar, Silver Proof Set and rolls of each of the new dollar coins.
    I don't go through the US Mint for the rolls, they get something like $35 plus shipping I get them from the bank for $25.

6. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I have bought every year now direct from the U S Mint for some time and have need very happy with the products and pricing.

7. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

i hate dollor coins. they put holes in my pockets and bounce around and hit my B's

8. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Gene.....I collect them for sentimental reasons! I remember when they used to be worth something!

9. scratcher

scratcher TS Member

Pretty to look at, lousy investment...

10. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Just go to your bank. It will be cheaper.

11. Mr.M

Mr.M Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Float a fiver by your favorite bank teller once a year and have her put aside a roll for you each quarter as they are issued. Most banks still have all four 2007 issues in new unbroken, untouched rolls and sell them for $1.00 per coin. Don't go anywhere near Franklin, late night TV or any of these other idiots who are packaging and "grading" these pot metal coins. When you buy a new roll at the bank, the majority of the roll will be the highest possible grade anyway, since they haven't been touched and are protected by the two end coins and the roll paper. Unfortunately, when we break those rolls ten or twenty years from now to give the Grandkids (Great Grandkids) a treat, they might have five percent of the purchasing power they have today.
    No investment potential at all.
    Sorry for the rant but one of my businesses is selling the Silver and Gold American Eagle coins all over the country and the late night guys are really fleecing a lot of unknowing folks.
    You might consider buying an American Eagle once a quarter with part of the cash you'd spend on the Presidential Dollar roll. In ten or twenty years, the purchasing power would be intact, if not greater.

Off my soapbox, Regards and Merry Christmas to all, Mike Mann

12. porky

porky TS Member

If you collect coins for an investment, you really should go to the Mint and buy them. Keep the box and all the literature that comes with them and whatever you do don't open the rolls. Just look at the end coins to see if the machine that rolled the edges shut on the wrapper didn't mark the end coin. If you want to sent the roll back, then you may, but the Mint gets really crazy when you open the rolls. Besides, collectors only want the rolls that are produced by the mint with the mint wrapper and the box and literature with it to prove authenticity. Rolls from banks are hard to move, just like buying silver ingots or silver commemoratives and trying to sell those. You had best have a silversmith for a friend.

13. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Gene:

I've collected coins, currency and stamps. I don't know that these mass produced commemorative coins will appreciate significantly in a few decades. There are so many and no one is putting them into circulation.

U.S. coinage and currency has never been made obsolete, so if you've got a hankering to collect, there is no real downside, you can always go and spend it!

Hey - glad to have you with us and continued good progress on your recovery,
    Jay Spitz
    Naperville

14. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

How many coin mints are there and where are they EXACTLY? Thanks

15. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

Coin collecting is a dreaded disease...almost as bad as trapshooting. I know because my husband does both. Collecting coins as an investment takes alot of knowledge, kind of like buying the right stocks. Collecting coins for the fun of it is a wonderful hobby.

16. guncase

guncase TS Member

Coin Collecting in only one step poorer than Stamp collecting!! I have stamps from the 60's, 70's and 80s.. tried to sell them. Cannot find anyone wo is buying.

I was told by the postmaster that I was better off to use them,,, just for regular postage. You should see the looks I get when I sent out Xmas Cards with 1968 Christmas stamps on them!! Was almost worth the trouble!! Paul

17. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Bob Levine -

Depending upon condition and year - 1928 $500/1000 are the goodies with the "gold" clause, not that '34s aren't collectible. Even in good condition, which is barely collectible they're worth $600-700/$12-1400 at a minimum because of their rarity, '28s even more so.

Stamps are always worth their face value also, so use, eBay 'em - pass 'em on to the next generation - good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.