1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Anti Virus and Internet Security Help

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by gusto777, Apr 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gusto777

gusto777 Member

I recently bought another computer (desktop). I will need some sort of anti-virus and internet security protection. I use AVG on my laptop, but was wondering if there are better products/downloads that some of you might recommend.

Thanks,
    Gus in Las Vegas

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

AVG Free is very good ... but some people say that Avast is better.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Avast only let me down once in the several years I've used it on several machines.

The problem is, there is no perfect AV software. Some is better than others, but sooner or later something will get into a Windows machine.

Make sure you back up your data to an external hard drive.

My XP machine recently got a rootkit that was not correctable. Instead of reinstalling an outdated operating system (XP SP1, and XP SP3 support ends in two years) I installed Ununtu Linux, which I have been running on an older, outdated machine for several years. (Linux is great for older machines that bog down when running Windoze, because it is lightweight and not a resource hog.)

My personal game plan is to no longer use a Windows machine to surf the net or interact on websites like this. The Windows machine will mainly be used for some Windows software that does not interface well on Ubuntu. (On a professional basis I have to support Windows, because my company is committed to it.)

In all the years of my running Ubuntu it is never had any virus, malware or rootkit attacks.

I an NOT suggesting Ubuntu as a replacement for Windows. I'll bet only a few here could make Ubuntu work for them. What I am saying is to back up your data to an external drive no matter what else you do or what AV you use.

4. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Avast is pretty good. You can run programs "sandboxed", kind of like running them in a VM (virtual machine).

Tell you what I do though. I run a real virtual machine (VMWare, free version), with no A/V. You install an OS to a folder on whatever hard drive via your VM software. You'll need a separate license for the OS if using Windows. Or maybe you have a Win7 machine, you can use the free Windows virtual machine (the name of it escapes me at the moment), and you can get a free download from MS to run an XP VM.

I do all my browsing in my VM. The folder is backed up to another hard drive. If the OS in the VM stuffs up, I just burn it down and copy the backup folder. Running a VM insulates whatever you do in it from your base OS, so long as you don't enable it to see too many shared folders in your regular OS. You can switch at will from one OS to another.

You need a fairly powerful machine to do the above, and ideally a 64-bit OS with lots of RAM. But it'll work okay in 32-bit Windows if you have at least 3 GB of RAM, with 1 GB allocated to the VM while it's running.

5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

What is wrong with Microsoft Security Essentials? I've never had a virus on my computers and used AVG until they came out with MSE and have no complaint so far. Why used something else when MSE is free. Jackie B.

6. Advocate33

Advocate33 TS Member

I have used Avast for a long time without complaints. Couple it with Online Armor as a firewall.

7. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: Microsoft Security Essentials

All I've been using the last two years.

8. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Ditto for MS Security Essentials.

9. grunt

grunt Well-Known Member

Also use Mircosoft essentials. My computer runs/downloads faster.No problems so far..

10. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I got infected running AVG. Switched to McAfee years back and all was fine. I am still on dial up and now can no longer do the updates since about last September. My connection will not stay connected and the updates are too long. I talked to both with no resolve. I tried a download manager but I guess it did not work or I did not do it right. So for now I have nothing since last year. Ray

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.