1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T AK-47 (Clones?) Semi-Auto's?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JonP, Dec 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonP

JonP Member

Looking to get an AK semi-auto - 7.62x39 (I think, for cheap ammo).

Our club can get Romanian and a Yugoslav ones pretty cheap - do they work? Can you drag them through the mud and will they keep work'n like AK's are touted to do?

Look'n for a cheap porch/yard cleaner - any suggestions or recommendations?

Jon

2. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Saiga (Russian made by Kalishnakov factory) sells a semi-auto with a synthetic sporter style stock and a 10 round detachable magazine in 7.62x39 for about $300 brand new. Extra mags are available. This is an AK rifle in sporter configuration. Probably a better rifle than the Ruger Mini-14 at less than one-half the price.

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Every ak clone I have bought has out performed its orignal price tag. I like my polytech version the best. Its acurate for what I put throught it and feeds everything. saiga has some good stuff too. if you factor in the price,,200 to 500 new depending on the configuration. They do what is exsprcted for that price. I have seen some miled reciever AK clones, but they jump way up in price. saiga warsa10 model. Saiga also has 5.56 308 shotgun and rumored 30-06. I stand corrected 30-06 is on line. These guns are selling fast in my area. These guns like the AR style are endless in up grades and ad ons. As far as cheap ammo right now in my area the cheapest you get is about 4.00 per 20 box bought buy the 1000rnd case.

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

check it.

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Slugger I agree on the CMP program guns for 308 30 06 shooting. I do believe he was looking for a high volume cheaper ammo lead chucker that can and most likly be miss treated. There for the cheapo ak47 clones are good for this. Many people at our club have the cmp guns and so far its a crap shoot, Most guys get the field grade/service grade most are happy a few are not???? But at 450 to 1000 bucks for a 40+ year old gun. Its something you have to want. I would like to get one, but I also want a decent 5.65 AR rifle of some sort too. I bought my AK clone for 250 with a bi pod and 3 mags. Great little plinker. Love to get it out to a 200+ yard range. Not exspecting much.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    All AK's are not created equally. Some are surprisingly accurate. Particularly the .223 models. The smaller bore makes the barrel stiffer, and our ammo is better than the commie stuff. Result is better accuracy.

7. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

I have two (now banned on CT and registered as "assault weappns" and non transferrable w/in state) Romanian SAR-1s. One is new in the box and the other I have shot about 500 rds through it. It's a POS! I have it only to be occasionally familiar with an AK style action, so I know how to use one, strip it, etc.

It actually does SUCK. It is plagued with functioning problems, not at all like a real, "AK". They are cobbled together and assembled very poorly by Century Arms with a certain number of cheap, US made parts (required by federal law for US parts count)Mine worked fine for about 300 to 400 rds and started malfunctioning.

Also, very bad "Trigger slap" - trigger slaps forward-HARD against the pad of the trigger finger causing pain within 10 shots.

The gas pistons are a two piece assembly with a very crude, cheap pin that holds the gas piston in place married to the bolt carrier. I've seen the pins shear off of other SAR-1s rendering the gun inoperable within 1,000 or so rds.

Accuracy is very good to about 50 or 75 yds but falls off to about six inch groups at 100. Typical, but real, military spec AKs are capable of 3 to 4" groups and - don't fall apart and stop working after 500 to 1,000 rds.

We have a term for them at my club. They're called, "Kalashnacrap".

If you want a good, 7.62x39 rifle - the BEST deal on the market is the Yugoslav SKS model 59/66. These can be had NIB for about $175; they are GENUINE military quality, and of very high quality with machined receivers; smooth actions, shoot extremely well for commie guns - 2" groups at 100 yds all day long and with a pack of 10-rd stripper clips, you can burn up a case of 1,000 rds FASTER than loading the 30-rd mags of an AK clone AND be able to shoot the rifle prone, or seated from a bench (try that with a 30 rd AK mag - good luck!-I bought two, Hungarian 20 rd "tanker" mags just so I could bench the rifle!)

Without question, the US made AR series from any of the major vendors, or the M-1A or the CMP Garand is by far the better deal and the BEST rifle you can buy.

If you don't already have a SAR-1 AK clone, do yourself a big favor - DON'T buy one!

8. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

I bought a nice SKS for $129 and can't believe for a so called "piece of junk" how nice that thing shoots! I was amazed. Shoots good patterns and feeds the cheapest crap I can find just fine. Shoots the same shell, of course.

9. furface

furface Member

When i first shot mine it would hang up with hollow points. just make sure it functions before using it for protection. all of my mags are chicom and only like full metal jackets. They are amazing and fun. i would take one over the M16 i had in Nam. Good luck, Joe

10. JonP

JonP Member

Thanks guys,

What about this SKS 59/66 - is it a semi-auto and can you point me where to get one?

Jon

11. JonP

JonP Member

Guys,

The Romanian seems to be the cheaper (an junky'er) ones from the sites I've been looking at - are the Yugoslav ones any better? The price for the Yugo's is a little higher, that's why I asked.

Thanks,

Jon

12. gunguyr

gunguyr TS Member

If cheap ammo is your goal, get an AK in 5.45x39. The ammo is much cheaper.
    You can also buy a parts kit and build your own. It's not hard and it's likely some near you has the tools needed to assemble.

13. scottheid

scottheid TS Member

The main difference between the yugos and romanian compared to the other aks are that the barrels are not chrome lined. They are still good guns and fun to shoot. Scott

14. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

The Romys are junk. They are junk because they are assembled by Century Arms which is known for crap level parts and even worse customer service.

They can be tricked out and smith'ed out to work well and eliminate "trigger slap" and the piss poor piston/bolt carrier arrangement can be replaced with better ones to enhance reliability and service life.

Remember - these are NOT the "AKs" from "Nam" Made in Russia or China on milling machines with mil-spec, mil-tested parts that can be "dragged through the mud" and beat our M-16s in torture tests.

These are CLONE receivers stamped out on very cheap machinery, then shipped to the US where by federal law, they need to be assembled with a certain number of US MADE PARTS to be legal, and those parts tend to be the cheapest, cheesiest suckiest parts known to mankind from lord knows what subaccount vendors, assembled and installed by bottom of the line, temp-hour workers, slapped together and jammed into cardboard boxes that don't even fit the rifles, with their bolt handles cutting through the sides of the cardboard.

The SARs and the WASRs are absolute TRASH and I'm sorry I wasted almost $600 buying TWO of them and regeristing them with my state police weapons office after my state "re-banned" them in 2002.

If you just want a good 7.62x39 and don't care about the "AK look" or 30-rd mag - get the Yugo 59/66 SKS. It's a veritable Rolls Royce compared to a Romy
    "SAR" or "WASR" slapped together by Century Arms The Yugo 59/66 is a true bargain. It's a dream to shoot, very cheap and very quick to reload-so much so, you won't miss the clunky, 30-rd AK mag that doesn't let you shoot from a bench, or from prone on a mat.

I haven't shot my AK clone in almost three years now, and it hasn't functioned 100% in almost five. I've also seen SAR-1s come damn close to firing out of battery, too - from people bump firing them and then hearing "click" mid way down the magazine load - only to discover a PARTIAL firing pin hit on a PARTIALLY chambered round! That's an explosion waiting to happen.

These Romy SAR/WASR guns are freaking JUNK.

Do yourself a favor, buy the Yugo SKS 59/66 and FORGET the Romanian Century Arms AK clones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.