1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Airedale or Chesapeake

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JEB, Sep 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JEB

JEB Active Member

My wife and I are looking for a new dog, not for hunting but as a family pet. I have had 4 chessies in the past, hunted with two and love them. Had to put our last one down about two months ago. She is intrigued by airedales, no shedding and also a rough /tough dog. I had them as a kid but that was many, many moons ago. We currently have a Brussles Griffon, about 12 pounds with the heart of a lion and he grew up with large dogs so that should not be a problem. I know about chessies, anyone have any recent experience with airedales? Thanks,
    John Bergman

2. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

A Chesapeake is going to be hard to beat, most do-all breed I know of and the most loving creature I ever owned-----but you better be part of the family group or..............! Those I've had would fight a chainsaw and turn right around and all 100 pounds of them climb up into your lap to be close to their "person".

My best Bud had an Airedale for several years until he was stolen, he was a hunting fool and I also thought he was an airhead til I got to watching him, he was just mischevious-----took awhile to learn what he was thinking. An extremely fast learner but was hard headed, he knew what to do and why but would push you. Great dogs, great hunters though.

I wouldn't have a problem with an Airedale, but this life is too short not to have a Chesapeake.

3. pdq

pdq Member

Chesapeakes are great dogs -- I hunted ducks & geese with them for years & it din't matter how cold the water was, they loved to hunt -- tough dogs, sometimes a little (or a lot) hardheaded.

But, you say you aren't looking for a hunting dog, in which case I think the Airedale might make a better "family pet" choice. You may be able to get one for free through:
    http://www.airedalerescue.net/index.html

We got a standard poodle (also non-shedding) thru a rescue agency when he was 4. He's approaching 14, and has been a dog that's so great that I doubt we could again find an equivalent. Came with all his medical records, AKC paperwork, etc.

A funny thing about the Chessies. My friends family had one and after hunting we'd go back to the house and have breakfast. The dog would go find a warm place to go to sleep. All of a sudden we'd be hit by this powerful cloud of an evil smell, and we realized that the dog had passed gas. About 10 seconds later the dog would wake up, smell the air, and giving us a look of disgust for distrubing his sleep, he'd leave the room.

Pete

4. Neil R

Neil R TS Member

I have had three Airedales (the King of the Terriers) and they are great family dogs. My last one had to be put down she had cancer, what a black day. We now have Welsh Terriers, some folks call them miniature airedales. They look just like them and have the same wonderful disposition. When we lose the two Welshies we have (14 and 15 years old)I may get another Airedale. Can say anything about a Chesapeake, never had one. But Airedales definitely do not shed (nor do Poodles and Welshies)
    Regards,
    Neil

5. slik

slik TS Member

I have never had a Chesapeake. I have had an Airedale for two years. My Airedale is a great family dog, protective but never vicious, loads of fun, a real people dog. I would recomend one but I would first do a search on Airedales, there is a lot of information on the Web about them and now that I have one I can say most of that info was correct.

D.W. Sliker

6. Skeeix

Skeeix TS Member

We had to put our airedale down a couple of years agao and still miss him. They ahve a mind of their own but are fearless and have a pain threshold second to none. My wife and i are still debating the pros and cons of another one. Ours was the only dog we have ever owned that when you told him to do something he would give you the middle finger and keep on going.

Clyde

7. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

Hi:
    For a family pet that does not shed, is loving, no odor, and is easy to train, give a standard poodle a try.
    We are on our third, and are so pleased we could spit.
    dave

8. max trap

max trap Member

Hi my name is John Grubbs and i have a question for you, were you at the Grand American Trap Shoot and if so do you remember a kid about 13 with a grey hat... cause if so we have the same dog but his weight is about 25 lbs and he thinks he can beat up every dog in the neiborhood.

9. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

I've had Airedales almost continuously for over 25 years. I just had to put my last old pal down 2 months ago. They are the greatest dog you can possibly own - IF you have the right temperment for them. They are totally loyal, and will sacrifice their life to protect the family without hesitation.

However, they are spirited. They require a little heavier hand somtimes to get them to do what you want them to do.

I've also got a Lakeland which looks like a miniature Airedale. If you tell him to do something he just flips you off.

hubcap

10. JEB

JEB Active Member

Hi John Grubbs,

Sure we remember you and Joey too. You are a STCP shooter and you had a great cell phone picture of him. In fact Joey is almost as good looking as our Bugs. If anyone wants a small dog, around 15 lbs, you can't do better than a Brussles Griffon. I think that we both agree on that.

How did you make out at the Grand? Send me an e mail at bblairmach@aol.com.

Best regards,

John and Karen Bergman

11. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

Chessie's are hard to beat. We've had three and all were great dogs. Very protective when it comes to "mom and dad" and their "home". Michael

12. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

always good pickings at the local pound.

13. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

If there's any breed that beats a Chessie for hunting, companion, great disposition, loyalty, hardiness, and all-around good nature, God hasn't designed it yet.

The Chessie is His best canine.

14. Rorschach

Rorschach TS Member

We had airedales when I was growing up...My mother loves to tell this story. When I was a baby, we had an airedale named "Wolf", large for his breed, protective and loving. My mother had me out in the front yard while she was doing yard-work, a delivery man came and distracted her for a bit. Next thing she knew, I was crawling away, making a beeline for the busy street. She screamed and started running but knew she would not make it in time to get me. Out of the corner of her eye she saw a red and black streak leap over the back yard chain link fence and dash the 50 or so yards after me. Wolf skidded to a stop and grabbed a mouthful of diaper and pulled me back to my mother tug-of-war style, with me kicking and punching and wollering. Impressive dog.

15. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Over the years, I've had 4 Airdales (I'm a slow learner)one was a great dog except he chased cars tried every thing to stop him, but a bumper ended up curing the problem, one female was pretty good, she got heart worms back before they had a cure for them, and died. Another female was okay, she started hating wasps and bees, and bit one and got stung in the throat (we think) and died, and the last one was Alf, all airdales are tough, this one was covered in depleted uranium at least he though, he was the hardest headed dog in the world would bark non stop, could swim in ice water all day, we have a seven acre pond in our back yard, I would shoot a .22 at one end and he would swim down there, and then I would shoot at the other end and he would swim back, I could do that all afternoon and he wouldn't stop.Unfortunatly, his armor wasn't strong as my neighbors 30-30, as he started to like chasing cattle.

In my opinion there is no tougher dog than an airedale, mine have whipped every dogs ass that tried to take them on, Pit Bulls included, but they can be some of the most independant (dumbest) dogs on earth. The first one I had never came in the house, and at that time I was growing up on a farm in NW Iowa, it would sleep outside on a snow bank in the winter even though it had a spot in a heated barn.

They're okay dogs, but extremely independant,but tough as a two bit steak.

We've had Great Danes for the last 12 years, they don't live a long time, but they are cool dogs, scare off intruders,but wouldn't hurt a flea, if the intruders wanted to rob you, the danes would help as long as you pet them

16. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

Catpower is right. If you want the toughest, bravest, most hard-headed, not too bright there is, go for an Airdale. On the other hand, if you want a fantastic ice-breaking retriever, sweetheart, who will love you and protect your children, Chesapeake is the dog. Chesapeakes will retrieve ducks until they drop. An Airdale will try to retrieve a bear.

17. JEB

JEB Active Member

Thanks for all the input. My guess is that we will probably end up with both. As mentioned I have had 4 chessies, bunch of labs also, but I will take a Chesapeake any day. Nobody has to sell me on what a chessie can do. We live on a salt water bay full of ice in the winter, perfect for them, and I have used them for pheasant hunting. They are a good, close working dog. I know of a female 9 months old that is available and don't think I can turn her down. I got a laugh out of Catpower's comments, your last airdale sounds just like one I had as a kid. No dog, and I mean no dog, would mess with him. It looks like a new chesapeake for hunting and an airdale for a pet. Keep us in your prayers. I like your advice Sarge, I am an old E-8 myself, but my wife is too good a shot. She would not take kindly being tossed over for a dog, even a chessie.

JEB

18. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

You can talk about all your fancy bird dogs, but there ain't no dog as good as a Jack Daniels. These little buggers are tops!

19. scratcher

scratcher TS Member

I live next door to a lady with a 7 year airhead/dale..The poor lady has M.S. and when she takes the dog for a walk the sunuvabitch drags her all over the sidewalk and park; half the time she comes home with bloody knees. I'm a lab owner (yellow) and she asked me to train her dog in matters of obedience..I politely declined but offered to clean his ears out with a 22..

20. Skeeix

Skeeix TS Member

We used to book mountain lion hunts out of our gun store. The guide used his hunds to run the cats and then he would turn his 2 airedales loose on the cat. I asked him why he did this and his answer was good hounds are hard to come by but all the damn airedales are alike. No two tougher dags than chessies or airedales.

Clyde

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.