1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Air conditioner question?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

A person has a 2 1/2 yr old a/c package unit for sale but the compressor will not kick in, just the fans run. On an automotive a/c you can jump the wires to make the compressor kick in even if low of Freon. Can you do that on a home unit. I don't want to purchase the unit without knowing whether it will work or not. I need the unit for my fishing shack. Thanks for your help and info. Jackie B.

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

If it is just the condensor fan running the compressor should be running too.

There is a slim possibility that the fan might run without the compressor running, but generally it would only be in a heat pump. Look on the lines to see if you can find a switch looking apparatus, generally brazed on the line with two wires coming out of it, if so you can jump those to see if the compressor will fire up, if it does it has a low charge, and if it has a leak, you might not want it, R22 has gotten extremely high priced, some of my competition is charging $70 per pound

What brand of unit is it?

There is a chance one or more wires could be burnt off inside the terminal box, but if they are I wouldn't fool with it, the make some terminals that you can repair them with but if they are burnt, the repair usually doesn't last too long

3. CW638YORK

CW638YORK Member

In the condensor check the run capacitor - low & high pressure safeties if equiped & compressor contactor ...

Start with the easy stuff 1st...

Need any assistance pm me if needed...

Chris

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

It is a Carrier unit. And it is a heat pump with elec assist in heat mode. Jackie B.

5. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Then it probably has a loss of charge switch they put them in the liquid line to shut them down if it springs a leak

But on a heat pump the fan will run with out the compressor contactor pulled in, there is a possibility that some bug has crawled in the contactor and when it closed it will stop the circuit from making, we get a lot of those calls, fire ants are real good customers for us

If the unit is only 2 1/2 years old the compressor should be under warranty if it is bad, but you would still have to pay for the labor to change it

If you can look at the serial number it will tell when it is made, the first two digits tell what week of the year it is made, and the 3&4th digit tells the year

IE: a 1010XXXX would be the 10th week of 2010

The reason I am saying that is a lot of times people think the unit is only 2-3 years old but it really is a lot older

Time flies when you are having fun