1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Advice on Scope for Slug Barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by parrothead, Sep 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. parrothead

parrothead Member

I have recently purchased a rifled slug barrel for my Beretta 390 to use for hunting deer in Ohio where we are limited to shotguns for the gun season.
    Has anyone used or can recommend a suitable scope in the $150-$200 price range? Most of my hunting will be from a ladder stand where the maximum range would be around 125 yds. in woods with narrow shooting lanes. I have been thinking a variable 2X-7X? Two that I have considered are Burris Fullfield II 2-7X 35mm, and Nikon Pro Staff 2-7X 32mm. Any advise or experience with these or similar scopes would be appreciated.

2. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

First off make sure your receiver can be drilled and tapped for a base. If you have a steal receiver your OK if its an aluminum receiver most can not be drilled and taped.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Personally I'd be looking at a 1-4x shotgun scope. Slug shooting is relatively close range, and you're shooting a minute of deer. I'd rather have fast handling and more light than more power.<br>
    <br>
    The following scopes are in or close to your price range.<br>
    <br>
    Leupold 1-4x Shotgun Scope<br>
    My preference would be this scope. Don't let the small objective trick you into thinking it is not a bright scope. In fact, it is one of the brighter scopes Leupold makes, because brightness is not only affected by objective size, the power factor also affects this.<br>
    <br>
    Leupold 2-7x Shotgun Scope<br>
    This would be my second choice. It is also one of Leupold's brighter scopes. The 2x setting is still low enough for fast woods work, and the 7x allows more precision than 4x, though at a little lost of brightness.<br>
    <br>
    Leupold 3-9x Shotgun Scope<br>
    I think this one is going a bit far with a slug gun scope. On the other hand, if you are also shooting coyotes or other sub-deer size animals, or are doing a lot of range work with various slugs to wring out the most accuracy, or are trying for 200+ yard shots, this might work for you.<br>
    <br>
    All of these scopes have thicker crosshairs so you can come on target faster, especially in dim gray light where thin crosshairs tend to completely disappear. If you do not want the think crosshairs, Leupold also makes these scopes in a non-shotgun version.<br>
    <br>
    Note that the 1-4x is a VX-1, while the other two are in the Rifleman series. The 1-4x is on sale right now, else it would be about $50 out of your price range.<br>
    <br>
    Low power scopes are the ticket for woods hunting. For years I had a fixed 3x Leupold on my 45-70 rifle. Didn't need anything more for a 150 yard sledge hammer.

4. philk

philk Member

I agree with Brian, get the Leupold 1x4 shotgun scope. At 1 power it is quicker than any open sight in the woods or jump shooting and at 4x will do all you need at 150 yds.

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I used a 2x7 Redfield wide field on my fully rifled slug gun when I lived in Ohio and hunted whitetails. Is your barrel a cantilevered slug model? Myself, I'd prefer that to mounting a base to a receiver for a scope. Much better accuracy since it's more stable with the barrel. The barrel moves around some in the receiver mounted scoped shotguns I've used.

The 1X4 is a great choice too, has a larger field of view in case of a running shot in the thick stuff! I never had any problems with my widefield in honeysuckle patches though. Hap

6. parrothead

parrothead Member

The barrel does have a cantilevered mount. I have also considered the 1-4X as an option, as close/quick shots are just as likely as longer ones. Brian suggests the 1-4x Leupold, where might be a good choice to purchase this scope?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to mount a scope on cantilevered slug barrel