1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Accurizing a MINI 14 ? ? O/T

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by locdoc, Dec 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. locdoc

locdoc Member

There was a thread on here a while ago about accurizing Rugers. It mentioned Cheif AJ. I checked his site but didn't notice any info about the Mini 14. There must be some info out there in cyber space. Any suggestions ? TIA

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

2. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

I've had these folks do a couple of Mini-14's. Excellent work.

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

Chief (the one I know anyway) does 10/22's.

The Mini 14 is a POS. 4-5 inch groups @ 100 yards. Save your money and get an AR15 from Rock River or similar.

Don

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I have both too. Don is right. Put your money in a Rock River heavy barrel version (Predator or Coyote)if you can find one.

5. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

The wood-stocked gun in the picture is just like mine was. I had them put on a 23" barrel, and slick up the trigger. It would shoot as well as my buddies HB AR-15 Match.

6. locdoc

locdoc Member

RickN,

Your results are what I'm hoping to wind up with. I was thinking of a DIY project for my Mini. But, if that becomes too costly or for some other reason I get discouraged, I could always scope my Panther and start fresh. I'll keep looking.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I will 3rd what was said so far about the accuracy of the mini 14. I seen a tack driver mini 14 that shot 2 1/2 inch at 100

8. turmite

turmite Member

Doug from what I have read, and conversations I have had with three different mini builders, one of which has already been listed here, the key to accuracy for the mini is in the rebarrel, and the gas port. If you decide to build one, pm me as I may be able to hook you up with a custom stock.

Mike

9. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

You can tighten up the groups by adjusting the allen screws - this is true - but simply tightening them evenly is not the answer.

What you do is loosen them completely, and shoot a 5 round group. Let the barrel cool. Take a torque wrench and add a few inch pounds to each screw, tapping the collar as you do so to ensure the load is evenly distributed around the collar. Shoot abother 5 round group. Repeat this process until you determine how much torque on those screws works best for your gun. The make sure to check it/keep it properly torqued.

This process works for the M-77 series rifle as well, except tee torque you want to play with is on the screw behind the trigger.

Joe

10. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

2 1/2" ???? that is a POS rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mini 14 accurizing