1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

* O/T AC-130 shooting from the fence *

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jerry944t, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Nice footage.....from a video game. Sorry.

2. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Sorry Hairy, but it's from "Code of Honor" and it's been posted before.

3. drbauer65

drbauer65 TS Member

I have to agree, as a former CC with the Air Force, the audio is a give away.

Dereck

4. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I have worked with the Spec Ops squadrons at Hurlbert Fld in the past, even have an AC-130 squadron t-shirt (that no longer fits my fat butt).

I have heard them called Spector (official name) but have never heard them called U-boat.

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

video game,,i know, i've played that level before!
    Best level of the game.

6. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

<embed src="http://www.liveleak.com/e/b07_1179719369" width="450" height="370" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" scale="showall" name="index"></embed>

7. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I'm quite proud to say I was part of the 4th SOS that flies the AC-130 U model from 1996 to 1998...I was on the crew that took delivery of the last U model that was built for us.

The 'old' AC-130s are the Spectres. The newer U model - and yes, the crewdogs often called it a U boat - is "Spooky".

I was an electronic warfare officer, by definition the only pacifist on the whole damn gunship crew, since it my job to keep us from getting shot down.

I can categorically say that it's pretty damn cool when the 105mm howitzer goes off - but not nearly as much fun as a 500 round burst from the crowd pleaser.

8. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I'll also (quickly) add that it was not uncommon for us to be able to hit a car sized target from 12,000 feet of slant range with the 105, and a really good pilot could that feat with the gun locked in position - where he had to hand fly the plane to change the point of impact of the round.

We also often shot out over the gulf of mexico, shooting at saltwater flares we'd drop in the water. A good shot would extinguish the flare - which was about the size of a brick.

Impressive machinery.

9. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

The video is actually from the game "Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare". The description of the video is really the name of the mission in the single player version of the game. Yes, it looks amazingly real. Hope this clears up some confusion.

10. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

jeff p - thanks for the clarification on the name of the bird. Last I was involved, I was a team leader for a contract to provide flight test planning and engineering for the special ops program office at Warner Robins AFB.

Most of our effort was aimed at H53 to MH-53J's but we did do a little work on SO c-130 platforms. I still have this great t-shirt I bought at the 1AC-30 squadron...death from the sky sort of thing :)

Now you want to talk brave, since I planned some testing related to terrain following flight (nap of the earth for you Army pukes) control systems on the MH-53, I had to go along on the test ride. 53,000 lbs helo flying on auto at 75 feet at night will definitely keep you alert and on your toes LOL.

That was a great job...lots of fun.

Cheers

11. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Baron, that's not for me. Altitude is your friend. Whenever the pilot wanted to fly 7,000 feet, I wanted 8. if he said ok to 8, I'd ask for 9....

The 3 most useless things in aviation are 1)an altitude above you 2)a runway behind you and 3) gas in a tanker you can't find...

12. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Trench...the new U model has a single 25mm gatling. The old A models have the 20, the 40 and the 105.

The U has a single 25, a 40mm Bofors cannon and the 105.

13. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

The SO guys do call the NEW Spectors U boats, but it's not commonly heard outside the AC-130 community. The name is derived from the AC-130 U designator. There is only one gun ship outfit here in FL now. They took the Spectors away from the Reserves at Duke Field and gave them Talons and Tankers instead. I still remember the old 3 bat prop "A" models. They were louder than the 4 bladers used today. The "cone of fire" from a Spector is something to see. In Vietnam they used the call signs to tell the gun ships apart. The AC-130s were "Spector" --The AC-47s were "Spooky"-- and the AC-119s were "Shadow" the TAC boys really resented them having a tactical call sign. The AC-47s, and AC-119s were assigned to SOG groups outright, but the AC-130s were still assigned to "MAC" although the SOGs operated them. This caused a lot of confussion from time to time. Baron is right. Low level 'worm burn" runs in any helicopter is a high pucker factor ride! I work CH-47 Ds and Fs now, and I still amazes me that the cumbersome things can FLY!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.