1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Abe Lincoln quote-still true today

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Hipshot 3, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Very true!

2. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I like this one (supposed to be from Wil Rogers):

" A lie can travel around the world by the time the truth gets it's pants on"

Danny

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

It just looked a little odd, you know? Possible, I guess, but worth checking. It is supposed to be from an address on the 22nd of August, 1864.

It's in volume 7 of a series called The Writings of Abraham Lincoln, link above. The date, 22 August, 1864 has but one entry (page 178) , and it's to the right regiment but it says none of this. Instead we read something which reads "right" in contrast to the putative quote:

The Writings of Abraham Lincoln: Vol Seven
    ADDRESS TO THE 166TH OHIO REGIMENT,
    AUGUST 22, 1864.
    SOLDIERS—I suppose you are going home to see your families
    and friends. For the services you have done in this great
    struggle in which we are engaged, I present you sincere thanks
    for myself and the country.
    I almost always feel inclined, when I say anything to soldiers,
    to impress upon them, in a few brief remarks, the importance
    of success in this contest. It is not merely for the day,
    but for all time to come, that we should perpetuate for our
    children’s children that great and free government which we
    have enjoyed all our lives. I beg you to remember this, not
    merely for my sake, but for yours. I happen, temporarily, to
    occupy this big White House. I am a living witness that any
    one of your children may look to come here as my father’s
    child has. It is in order that each one of you may have, through
    this free government which we have enjoyed, an open field,
    and a fair chance for your industry, enterprise, and intelligence;
    that you may all have equal privileges in the race of life with all
    its desirable human aspirations—it is for this that the struggle
    should be maintained, that we may not lose our birthrights—
    not only for one, but for two or three years, if necessary. The
    nation is worth fighting for, to secure such an inestimable jewel.

Which, I guess, is why Will Rogers was right.

Neil

4. Neil Winston

My point is that it's not Lincoln - and it should make a difference, especially in a thread whose title ironically includes the fragment "-still true today."

My second point is that we should all have our BS meters set to "high" when we read something from the internet since the truth/fake truth ratio is so unfavorable.

My last point is that there are a lot of people who don't think others will listen to their ideas unless they coin a false attribution - whether it's Lincoln, Carlin, Rooney or any of the many others we've run into here recently. And they are right.

Neil

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Lincoln said during the debates with Judge Douglas that he had no intention of interfering with slavery in the states that recognized it.

There is a great misconception about Abraham Lincoln out there, brought on by people generalizing on certain subjects and deliberately misquoting others.

Here is a good example, word for word: "I have no purpose to introduce political and social equality between the white and the black races. There is a physical difference between the two, which, in my judgment, will probably forever forbid their living together upon the footing of perfect equality, and inasmuch as it becomes a necessity that there must be a difference, I, as well as Judge Douglas, am in favor of the race to which I belong having the superior position. I have never said anything to the contrary, but I hold that, notwithstanding all this, there is no reason in the world why the negro is not entitled to all the natural rights enumerated in the Declaration of Independence, the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. [Loud cheers.] I hold that he is as much entitled to these as the white man. I agree with Judge Douglas he is not my equal in many respects-certainly not in color, perhaps not in moral or intellectual endowment. But in the right to eat the bread, without the leave of anybody else, which his own hand earns, he is my equal and the equal of Judge Douglas, and the equal of every living man."[Great applause.]

So the question is: is it a horse chestnut or a chestnut horse?

I get flamed by liberal pukes every time I Quote this one and I am sure this is no exception. (puts on firesuit).

HM

6. Pat McKean

Pat McKean Active Member

Boy, Lincoln sure had it right. I used a similar message to hopefully impress upon some friends why it is so important to exercise our right to vote at every opportunity. With the way our electoral system is set up on the national scale, it is seldom that one will get to vote for the person they like. The voter has to pick the candidate that will do the best job for our country not only in the next four years, but many years down the road. One has to keep their eye on the big picture.

Pat

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Pat McKean- Yes, we should elect the people who will do the best job, but how do we know what kind of job they will do? They have the ability to trick us.

Pat Ireland

8. Pat McKean

Pat McKean Active Member

Yes, they do have the ability to trick us. Four years later we'll have the opportunity to do it all over.

Speaking for myself, by the time it come to the general election, I usually have to use my vote against someone, rather than for someone.

Pat

9. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I'm not aware of Lincoln ever referring to any American, North or South, as "our enemies."

10. Neil Winston

nspktr1, I regret that you think that there's time to post something but not time to see if it's true. You must indeed be terribly busy, I can't think of any other explanation; it didn't take me more than about a minute.

Neil

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Hairy, you're thinking of Reggie White. Neither one could fit the stovepipe hat.

HM

12. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

All, check out the above link. It has some great quotes from President Lincoln.

Best,
    Dennis

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

"... believe in half of what you see and honey none of what you hear..." Sang Marvin Gaye. Or was it the Temptations or Lincoln? Whatever, I forget which.

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

When I post something that is incorrect, and I have done so, I appriciate learning of my eror. Others appear to be offended.

mrskeet410- A. Lincoln did frequently refer to many around my home as an enemy.

15. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Barry, I think Moms Mabely said something like that! (LOL)

Danny

16. JLW

JLW TS Member

"mrskeet410- A. Lincoln did frequently refer to many around my home as an enemy."

Mr. Henry- did you hear that personally or just read it on TS?-Jerald

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.