1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T - A shout-out for MidwayUSA

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by AveragEd, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

For some time now, I have been buying shooting accessories from MidwayUSA when I want something my local shop doesn't carry. I find their selection good, prices attractive and their prompt shipping even by standard UPS Ground never fails to have my order at my door in south-central Pennsylvania two business days later. Additionally, I have taken advantage of their liberal return policy on a few occasions and always feel safe buying something because I know that if I don't like it, the most it can cost me is the return shipping charge. Last week, that point was really driven home.

Back in December, I bought a Kimber Rimfire Target 22LR conversion kit from MidwayUSA for my Kimber Stainless Gold Match II, which functions absolutely flawlessly as a .45ACP. Long story short, it never worked properly and was returned to Kimber four times, twice on my gun's frame so it could be eliminated as a causation factor. They changed parts on both the rimfire slide and my frame and replaced the entire conversion kit the last time but the problems continued. In fact, the last 100 rounds of their recommended ammunition resulted in a 74% failure rate so I sent Kimber a letter asking that they take the kit back and allow me credit for it toward one of their 1911 rimfire target guns.

After hearing nothing for three weeks, I asked MidwayUSA to allow me to return it to them. Even though it had been longer than they normally allow items to be returned for anything but "store credit," which would have been okay with me, they took my efforts with Kimber's service department into consideration and promptly refunded the full $307 purchase price for the kit and an extra magazine to my credit card.

It has now been five weeks since I sent my first letter to Kimber and I followed it up with another two weeks later but they remain unanswered. Fortunately, MidwayUSA's great customer service came to the rescue.

Ed

2. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Three of us tried Kimber .22 conversion kits a few years back on our .45's and not one worked! We sent them back and got Ciener kits and they all three worked great!

3. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

For all those that think Midway is the best, THEY AINT!! I made an order with them for some reloading stuff and sent them a check. They accepted my order over the phone prior to me sending tie order and check. When I recieved the order, about a week later, it was not complete. I called back and they told me they didn't know when they would have that MEC part and refused to refund my
    $7.65 --- It's not the amount of money that bothers me, it's their arrogance. They told me if they had to write a check for every refund they would have to hire a full time squad to do so? SO? What's the problem isn't that called customer service? Two years later I am still waiting for my check. I WILL NEVER ORDER FROM THEM AGAIN-- AND --I HOPE EVERYONE THAT FRQUENTS THIS SITE WON'T EITHER. There are many other suppliers in this country that like your business and have great customer service.

Chuck

4. Firewater

Firewater Member

Hey Ed,was that a causation factor or a caucasian factor? Mike

5. crusha

crusha TS Member

Midway is ok, and donates a lot of money to good causes...but far from the only good game in town. I've ordered from them quite a decent number of times. But they do have minimum orders, and I've found their availability of items to be quite spotty for a place their size. My expectation is, if I'm paying minimum order fees to pay for their overhead...they ought to have everything in stock, or be able to get it quickly. Hasn't always been the case, in my experience.

I have found that when Midway didn't have something, Graf & Sons and Champions Choice usually did have it.

Midway is ok...but not my automatic go-to place anymore.

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Chuck, sorry about your experience with Midway. But myself, and all of our club members, over the last five years have had great luck and customer service with Midway. I called them up about a can of Ballistol that did not have a cap on the container...They sent me a two 16 ounce cans overnight. JMO

Wayne

7. AveragEd

MidwayUSA isn't perfect - no one is - and they did screw up an order of mine a year or so ago. As with Wayne, they made it more than right and overnight, too.

kiv, I tried a Ciener kit several years ago on another 1911. It fired, extracted and ejected the empty but would not return to battery without a push on the slide and also did that on my son's 1911. I called them for assistance and got the most arrogant recorded greeting I have ever heard. It said that I could leave a message if I wanted to but my call probably would not be returned because their website is all-encompassing (their term) and contains the answer to any question I could have. Really!

Well, their website doesn't mention failure to return to battery, so it isn't as all-encompassing as they like to think. Fortunately, I bought it from MidwayUSA so back it went.

I thought buying a kit from the same manufacturer as the gun would result in seamless operation. But since it didn't, I've been doing some research online and have learned that many of these kits are problematic and none are considered failure-free by the masses. So I'm going to scrap the conversion kit idea and replace a gun I never should have sold years ago, a High Standard Victor or failing that, a S&W Model 41.

Ed

8. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Back in the 90s (and before) Midway was the go to place for many of us involved in cast bullet shooting and other types of rifle competition. They had free shipping though their prices were just a bit higher than their competitors. With the free shipping, however, prices were usually below those of other companies.

Then they decided to change. To start charging for shipping, but, since they no longer paid for the shipping, their overall prices would go down. Larry actually posted on at least one of the Forums I frequented explaining how both Midway and the consumer would benefit.

Well, when free shipping was discontinued, he immediately raised almost all his prices, at least those for the items cast bullet and rifle shooters might need. Many shooters I knew and many on the forums I frequented vowed never to use Midway again.

I didn't make that vow. Rather, I decided, and continue so to this day, to try to use another source for anything I need on-line. ONLY, if it is not available elsewhere, or if Midway's price is significantly less than the other sources (rarely has happened for me) do I use Midway.

In my occasional dealings with Midway in the past ten years or so, I have also noticed that the CS reps are not nearly as knowledgeable about their products as they used to be, though that problem exists at many other on-line vendors, too.

So, I'll use them, but only if it really benefits me.

Bob

9. AveragEd

Bob, I used to buy cast bullets from MidwayUSA, too. But I somehow discovered Missouri Bullets and now buy all my cast bullets from them with one exception - .38-caliber 148-grain hollow-base wadcutters. Hollow-base wadcutters are have to be swaged and the only brand I can always find is Hornady. I get them from my local gun shop.

Missouri has a huge line of bullets, their prices are good and here's the best part. When I was filling out my first order with them, I fully expected to cancel it when I saw the shipping charges. But they use the USPS Flat Rate Priority Mail, where "if it fits, it ships." Up to four boxes of bullets - 2,000 of them - ship for $13.00! My mail carrier almost gives himself a hernia carrying the box to my door.

They also have a very educational page on their site about bullet hardness that will open your eyes, especially if you subscribe to the popular theory that the harder a lead bullets is, regardless of the application, the better.

Ed

10. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Ed, I definitely agree with you about Ciener's attitude. He's an A-number 1 a$$hole for sure! Last I heard he was in a jam with both the IRS and ATF.

11. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Ed:

Thanks for the tip on Missouri Bullets. I don't shoot rifle or handgun as much anymore since I discovered Trap (and some skeet). But I will try them out the next time I make an order.

Bob

12. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

I'm always amused at some of the discounts Midway post on there closeouts...
    many are just pennies!

13. revbook

revbook Member

My gripe with Midway is their shipping policy. They will ship a portion of your order that is in stock and then hit you up for a second shipping charge when the rest of the order is ready to ship. I paid $8.00 shipping for a $7.00 part!

14. shadow

shadow Active Member

I will always miss Herters !

15. AveragEd

rev, just tell them to hold the order until it is complete. Works for me!

Ed

16. wackdux

wackdux TS Member

Yeah they can donate alot of money when they don't refund the customer !!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.