1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O.T. A moment of silence for Pontiac

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by eagleonePA, Apr 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eagleonePA

eagleonePA TS Member

Well it looks as if Pontiac, a source of many fond memories of My youth is dying.
    Good Luck and God Bless, Bill Ivins

2. Steve A.

Steve A. Member

Thought I picked up on that tonight on the evening news............ I had a very nice 1996 Oldsmobile -- guess there will be no more. Had two very nice Pontiacs -- those may be history also. Still have an Uplander and LaCrosse -- maybe I'd better hang on to them for relics.

3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Very sad. The Pontiac 389 CID 4bbl and 421 CID tri power engines of the 1960's were awesome.

IMO, when GM made all their cars look the same and shared mechanical components in the late 1970's, this was the beginning of the end for Oldsmobile, Pontiac and maybe Buick. The unique "BOP" divisions are what made GM great.

I had a 1970 and a 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass with 350 CID 4bbls and a 1977 Delta 88 with the Chevrolet 350 "LM1" 4bbl engine. They were smothe, silent and powerful. All were great cars.

My dad had a 1967 Olds 98 with the 425 CID engine and a 1971 Delta 88 with a 455 CID engine. My brother also had two 1970's era Cutlasses.

We all thought that "Oldsmobile Ruled The Road."

Ed Ward

4. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I have to agree with school_teacher.

"IMO, when GM made all their cars look the same and shared mechanical components in the late 1970's, this was the beginning of the end for Oldsmobile, Pontiac and maybe Buick. The unique "BOP" divisions are what made GM great."

5. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

'Tis a shame; I remember my father's 1970 Sebring Yellow 442 Oldsmobile Holiday Coupe. Very comfortable, fast for the day. Lousy steering, big and roomy.

6. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I had 1965 and 1966 GTO's. I was cool back in the day.

7. eagleonePA

eagleonePA TS Member

I had a 1965 GTO and I have a 2005 GTO, I guess I'll keep the 2005.
    Good Luck and God Bless, Bill Ivins

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Up until recently, I had a mid-60s Lincoln Continental... suicide doors and all. That was before they shared a common production platform with Fords... today's Lincolns are Fords only with different badging.

Ceberus (sic?!) is about to put Chrysler on BP (bankruptcy protection) if the deal with Fiat falls through - FYI...

regards to all,

Jay

9. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Never owned a Pontiac, as my heart lies with there Oldsmobile brethren.

My Dad's first Olds was a 1940/41 straight eight and was a heck of a car. Two tone blue.

Well, as I was born in 1938 that was the first car I remembered in the family.

My Dad went on to many more Oldsmobile's, while my Uncle Vernon had many a Pontiac.

Along about 1974 I bought my first used Olds. It was a 1973 2 door Cutlass with a 455ci motor. Talk about running........Wow! That car was fast, and this was right after having a Plymouth Fury with a 440 motor. And it still delivered 18 mpg on the highway and 16 while pulling my fold down camper. A great car.

Anyway, went on to many more Olds over the years, but then something changed. They stopped being the fast cars of the past and they lost their luster for me and apparently a whole lot of people.

GMC buried them................May they rest in peace.....

Hauxfan!

10. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

had a memorable trip in a '66 GTO when I was in college....500 miles in 6 hours!....always wanted one of these ever since....

11. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

First car I ever bought new, 1961 Oldsmobile 88, Damn good car and it could scoot. R

12. butch's90t

butch's90t Member

Came back from overseas (Bermuda for 3 years) and bought a '67 GTO. Best car I've ever owned!HarryC

13. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/Jerbear1098/potus/?action=view&current=09-13c.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/Jerbear1098/potus/?action=view&current=vaseline.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Enough said.....

Jerbear

14. plabels466

plabels466 Member

First car I ever owned was a tweaked up 50 Olds -This one chirped tires & ate up the 57 Chevys. Also had a 54 red & white Starfire convertible, & a 61 super 88....Awesome cars........Pete

15. Sam Ogle

Sam Ogle Member

I thought the Pontiac Solstice was a really great looking car. Then, the test reports were so disappointing I backed off.
    I still think they are Foxy looking.
    Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE

16. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

See ya around, Chief.

17. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I still think Pontiac should be given seniority over Saturn,..up until they produced that neat little sports car, The Skye...I had never seen Saturn I was attracted to by its styling...Let Saturn die...Keep the Tin Indian

18. rich-s

rich-s TS Member

First car, 67 Firebird, 2nd car, 66 GTO. Hauling machines. Tin Indians rule!

19. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Eddy Hill, fast man of dragsters. was sponsered by Pontiac, built a twin eng super car and was first to break 200 mph on gas. turned 202.78 on gas at amarillo tx in the early 60's painted it purple passion, He patn'd the color. good motors.
    Bob

20. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Pontiac has been dead a long time they just never buried it. Pontiac was an awesome car in the 60's and 70's till they down sized it death.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.