1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T a little....223 load?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Dec 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

What would be a good powder for .223? I've been using 4198, but it meters lousy. Just for plinking, nothing serious.
    Thank you, gentlemen. And a very happy holiday season to everyone..
    Bruce

2. Dick The Shooter

Dick The Shooter Member

Hodgen H335 meters great and has always worked good for me

Dick The Shooter

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Try Hogdon's H335.

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Look at Varget loads for So-Cal; very stable pressure with ambient temp variations...varmint hunt from cold in the am to hot midday.

5. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

BLC-2 works for me with lighter bullets. 50gr and under. Like Reloader 15 for heavier 55gr. All of the forementioned will work as well. I had a load for 4198 that shot very well out of a Rem. 700 Varmint, but understand your metering problem.

Good shooting

Steve

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If using a progressive press, you want a dense powder that does not fill up the case.

I have been using Accurate 2015 in my Precision and Patrol Rifle loads. It is superbly accurate, meters VERY well, and does not spill out of the case when using a progressive.

The above group was shot in a factory Browning barrel with non neck turned brass. The Browning has a Wylde chamber, and is marked 223/5.56mm.

Another plus for 2015 is the reduced muzzle flash in Patrol Rifles with shorter barrels.

7. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

I've always liked Winchester 748 for target. My favorite all-around is Accurate AA2230. Phil E

8. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

+1 on the W748. What type of measure are you metering with?

9. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I use Winchester 748 also.

John C. Saubak

10. Robb

Robb Member

4895 used to work well for me.

11. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

A-2230 and 2015 work very well in the 223 at around 2400 fps . If your putting holes in paper speed is bad .

ALF

12. capvan

capvan Active Member

I'm using a RCBS measure.

I've tried finding the powders listed at the local shop with no luck. Their selection is pretty limited. And they carry NO shot, which gives you an idea what they are like. I'll keep looking and thanks for all the help.

Bruce
    kb1iix@arrl.net

13. bambambam

bambambam Member

I like to use Benchmark, excellent accuracy with a heaver bullet

14. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

NO SPEED? Accurate 2015 is very well suited for the 223. My load of 25 gr with a 60 gr Hornady V Max bullet is right at 3200 FPS out of my Browning's 22" heavy BOSS barrel. It is not a starting load, but is not at red line in my gun.

I load the same powder charge in Military brass with the Hornady 55 gr FMJBT in my Patrol Rifle. This one gets 3050 out of the 16" barrel. The accuracy of the Colt's LTWT Comp with its 1-9" twist 16" Heavy Barrel and Trijicon ACOG is better than one would think, when good bullets are used.

I started using 2015 in the Patrol Rifle so my Dillon 650 would not spill powder out of the hulls during loading.

I thought I would try it in the Browning. It outperforms Varget, RL-15, Accurate 2520, and 2230 (which was a surprise).

The Browning has a 1-12" twist, which is quicker than the average 223 bolt gun, and has a slight freebore, which might help velocity.

I had a Remington 700-V in the same caliber, but sold it because the Browning handed the Remington its behind at the range!

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

My prairie dog partner is using 2015 with 40 grain Vmax, as much as he can get in the case. I think about 27 grains.

I use Reloder 7 with 40 grain, Used a lot of 748 with 50 & 55 pills. If the gun doesn't shoot 748, get rid of it.

Varget and Benchmark are like sisters. If one doesn't perform the other will.

You can get most anything from Powder Valley.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.