1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

o/t a good hunting boot revisited

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by frank t, Sep 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frank t

frank t TS Member

Have had a couple of pairs of Danner's which have held up well. Also a friend wears Vasque and is happy with it.

Frank T

2. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Russell Boots.

3. tgun90

tgun90 TS Member

Danner;s.

4. Loyac

Loyac Member

You can't go wrong with MERRELLs. Check out the above website. John

5. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

My vote goes to Danner boots. I've been wearing them year 'round for more than 5 yrs. I worn Rockies before that. I've also worn cheaper boots and paid the price with pinched nerves and numbness in my feet. Like your shotgun your boots must fit to be worth a darn!

6. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

What Fred said. You get what you pay for with Russells, and you'll tend to get what you pay for with others. Maybe the question should be rephrased to "best under $150?" Phil E

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Whitey traced my feet 25 years ago in Berlin, wis. I can make a call and get true moc construction (leather goes under the foot completely)that is made to order for my feet. Russel Birdshooters. 2nd choice would be Red Wing.

HM

8. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

A $300 Russel Boot will out wear three $150 boots.

9. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I am anxiously waiting for my new Russell Signature South 40 boots to arrive. I recall this discussion last year and decided to try a pair. I've had a couple of pairs of the Browning boots and the soles self destructed after light use. I've had a pair of Danner's which were made in the USA and got a lot of good wear and life out of them. They only have a couple of boots left that are made in the US. The rest are all made off shore (likely in China). The Russell's have had such rave reviews on these threads that I decided to spring for a pair. Good quality footwear that is properly taken care of will last a long time. Bill Malcolm

10. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

Whites Boots.

Hand made in Spokane, WA. Many different varieties and they can also be custom ordered. They are hideously expensive though. You will spend a lifetime trying to wear them out If you're successful, they can be rebuilt. Your kids will inherit them. I wore them as a work boot for 10 years. I could wear out a pair of Red Wings in a year, it took eight years before I had to have the Whites rebuilt. Comfortable and tough. Buy one pair and you'll want more. They also cater to sportsmen and besides their own brand, they carry many more brands. If you decide to spend the money, you won't be sorry.

Shawn

11. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Whites have been around forever. I worked in the Washington timber in the '60's, and found Whites very popular with northwest loggers. Thought I couldn't afford them, but penny wise & pound foolish I wore out a pair of Red Wings every year, usually ripping the leather or a seam on a stob. Shawn's right, Whites are in the class with Russells. I see the Whites as best for heavy logging-type use, they'll stomp through any brush and dig in on downhills and sidehills; the big loggers heel is made for that. Like plunge-stepping or kick-stepping on glaciers with a good climbing boot. Very safe. Russells are more of a walking & hunting boot. I think it may depend on what you intend to use them for. Look at Russell's toe-lace hunter for even better fit. Russell will basically build to your specs, & will even add a loggers heel on most boots if you ask, though last I heard they won't bend/arch the sole-last with it. I like the air-bob sole. Both will cost you as much as a 3-day shoot with all the options. Phil E

12. Jim Sears

Jim Sears TS Member

I have a pair of Whites and a pair of Russels. Both are at least 10 years old and both have been back to the factory for rebuilding. I wear the Whites in the morning when the grass is wet and my legs are fresh. I wear the Russels in the afternoon when its dryer and and I am not so fresh. The rebuild costs around $100.00 and when they are returned to you they are as new.

tight lines Jim Sears

13. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I started buying Danners in the 60s when they were made in a little shop in Portland on 82nd & Burnside, about a mile from my folk's house. Back then they were about the best made, and they stood behind their product. Over the years they grew and moved several times, and my impression was that as that happened, their quality went down. Back in the 90s I had a pair that needed some repairs, so I took them in to the factory, located east of the Portland Airport. They told me they could fix them, but it would be cheaper to buy a pair of seconds from their outlet store. I said "no thanks" and have not bought another pair.

I agree with several above that Whites are among the best boots still made. I have a pair of Elk Guide pacs that are the ideal cold weather boot. I have also heard very good things about Schnees out of Bozeman MT. You'll pay a good price for either, but you'll never think you got a bad deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.