1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T 8.15 x 45r Loading Data???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Dynokick189, Feb 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dynokick189

Dynokick189 TS Member

A friend of mine just got a nice, single-shot J.P. Sauer rifle in 8.15x45r. I'm trying to find either ammo or reloading materials (as well as load data) for this caliber.

I've seen sources that list the 8.15mm as a 318cal. This doesn't seem right since a normal 8mm is 323.

Any info would be appreciated. If anyone knows of another site besides TS that might have load data for oddball cartridges like this, I'd be interested in knowing what it might be.

Thanks folks, I know someone will be able to help me out.

Mike

2. 100straight

100straight Member

Found this comment on another site...........

"I make my 8.15x45R cases from trimmed, and blown out RMC .32-40 brass, sized with a Redding FL sizer, but since the darn things never wear out, I don't get much practice. My current batch of 25 cases have over 2500 rounds through them. The single shot, breech-seating game is pretty easy on brass."

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

3. 100straight

100straight Member

The link above shows 8.15x45R bullets at .324 diameter.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

4. Dynokick189

Dynokick189 TS Member

Thanks Mark,
    I was able to find some components from Midway, but I can't find any load data on powder/bullet weight.

Does anyone know of other sites with reloading info on them???

Thanks,
    Mike

5. 100straight

100straight Member

I'd suggest using a "slug kit" determine the bore diameter. Here is a website where you can see how it works and buy a kit if you wish. I don't understand why a catridge designated as an 8.15mm would use an 8mm "J" (.318) bullet as some suggest, but I have never loaded this round so I can't say for sure. Best to determine the bore for your rifle, and then you'll know.

The website I linked in the earlier post shows a bullet weight of 150 grains.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

6. larryjk

larryjk Member

Gentlemen: The 9th edition of "Cartridges of the World" shows a 8.15x46Rmm. Is that the one you are referring to? It is listed as comparable to the 32-40. Developed by Frohn of Suhl, it was the cartridge for 200 meter off-hand target shooting in Germany and Austria. Data from the reference:
    151 gr. SP, 30 grains of IMR 4895, velocity of 1900
    151 gr. SP, RWS factory load, velocity of 1805
    190 Gr. lead, Lyman #338237, 23.0 grains of IMR 3031, velocity of 1500
    The reference page at the end of the chapter on Obsolete European cartridges shows the bullet diamenter as 0.316.
    I also recommend slugging the barrel to see what you need to use. Most of these old guns will last forever if they are shot with cast bullets.

7. Dynokick189

Dynokick189 TS Member

Thanks guys,

Very useful data. I haven't inspected the gun, just got a call and description from my friend. I'll check to see if the gun has the "mm" suffix.

Seems most prudent to slug the barrel before I go any further. I may have to cast some bullets for this one.

Its amazing how much good info you can get from helpful folks on TS.com.

Thanks again,
    Mike

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Slug it. Then you'll know what bullets to use. Pretty easy to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.