1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T 6.8mm SPC Questions

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Scott Thompson, Mar 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott Thompson

Scott Thompson TS Member

Do any of you black rifle fans here have any experience with the new 6.8mm SPC?

I've been saving up for a new RRA and I just learned about this cartridge the other day. I like the idea of this more powerful but less than a full .308 intermediate round.

I'm apprehensive about adopting it as my only rifle in the even ammo is hard to find, overly expensive, or if the military logistics crew gets it axed form service supply to avoid ammo logistics problems.

How much does the ammo run for this? (Assume I would buy 1000 rounds at a time.)

What are your opinions of the cartridge? I know how I want the rifle set up, I just don't know if going with the 6.8 is a safe bet.

Oh, and if IL passes this stinking ban then only the guns / mags I have procured before the governor signs it will be legal so I have to act quick with this purchase and this one might be my only one. That fact alone might put a 5.56 in the safe.

--Scott T.

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I also have looked hard at the 6.8, but am waiting for a Ruger MKII All Weather rifle.

Right now, it should be considered a commercial cartridge. There is a small chance the military will adopt it, but with conflicts like they are, the likelihood of a new cartridge being phased in is remote.

There is NOTHING wrong with the original 308 in a Patrol rifle confifuration. It seems there is a 308 Patrol Rifle out there that takes FN-FAL mags. As you said, hard to find or $20 a box ammo is not the way to go for what may be a last-ditch rifle.

3. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

I've heard that the military may be switching from the standard 5.56mm round, to the 6.8mm, which, in my opinion, would be one of the smartest things the military has done. Anyone else heard about this? I'm not sure if it's true or not.

-Jollytrapshooter

4. Nate_w

Nate_w TS Member

I believe that the Jan or Feb issue of Shooting Times had a good wright up about the 6.8 and 6.5 rounds. There was one of the big custom guys that was starting to produce match grade stuff for them so that they could be a more viable coyote rifle too. I believe that the Army is looking at the 6.8 instead of the XM200 (or whatever its called). The cost to put new uppers on the existing M4's would be much cheaper.

-N

OK, found the article: http://www.gunsandammomag.com/long_guns/ar15_071105/index.html

5. mallardfilmore

mallardfilmore TS Member

Here's the link to a good friend of mine that runs a gun shop and is a cast bullet and ammunition manufacturer. He just added the 6.8 SPC to his line of loaded ammunition so give him a buzz and he should be able to hook you up with some high quality ammo for a real reasonable price and should be able to help you with any info about the cartridge.
    http://www.carrollsweb.com/gunshop/

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

If you reload, get one.

Here's a website. My son and I put his togeter from RRA lower and a model1sales.com upper and had no problems. There are two brands of magazines out here, PRI which is kind of expensive and another brand (can't remember the name - check midwayusa.com) that is easier on the wallet. Ammunition is expensive if you don't reload since the selection is limited to Remington if you want any quality. SilverState Arms makes ammo, but I wouldn't recommend it after our experience. Bullet selection is pretty limited at around 115gr in .270 caliber. You might try Golden West Bullets or check out Ebay, for the guy that sells 115 gr FMJ seconds. Right now the caliber is essentially a novelty, but so is pretty much anything in this sport. If the military adopts it, it should help the popularity, but how long are we talking here?

7. trapperpg

trapperpg Member

I favor the 6.5 Grendel over the 6.8SPC.
    Check out http://www.defensereview.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=600

PG

8. Scott Thompson

Scott Thompson TS Member

Thanks for the info folks. Pretty much along the line of what I've been reading. I knew some of you on here have a lot of experience with those guns.

--Scott T.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.