1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T 5Th wheel camper ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by msmith, Apr 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msmith

msmith Member

Hello,
    I am going to buy a new 5th wheel. I have owned 2 travel trailers and know what to look for. Since all the saleman all sell the best ! what are some brands that have a good reputation for durabilty? I am thing of Starcraft and Flagstaff. Any suggestions? I will be towing with a 2500 Chevy. Not sure if I will go w/ a diesel or gas since I will only do 8 -10 trips a year.Thanks, Mike

2. dfrank7262

dfrank7262 TS Member

Mike,

Who makes the Starcraft and Flagstaff? There are so many "models" out there now, that you really need to look at the parent company.

I might suggest that you look into the Outback fifth wheels made by Keystone. I just got one earlier this year (had an Outback TT before), and really love it. I've had NUMEROUS salesmen tell me that it's the most bang for the buck you can get in a fifth wheel.

Dana

3. smp005

smp005 Member

I have a 30' Gulfstream - good rig, but so are the Keystones and many others.... Mt recommendations:
    Look for a floor plan you like. Buy one that is fiberglass sided not aluminum (much easier to clean). Get the winterized package regardless of where your going to be camping.

If you haven't bought your tow vehicle yet, go DURAMAX - you will not regret it!

Enjoy it!!!

4. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I have a 2004 Cougar 30' which I love. The Montanta also gets good reviews from a friend who has one. The Chev 2500 HD diesel is the greatest. More power than you can use.

If you are in CA. I could make you a great deal on a used setup.

JON

5. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

I have a 2007 Weekend Warrior 30 ft. the Golf cart goes in the back. Generator etc I like it. Allen

6. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I have a starcraft and love it but I must sale it. See my other thread if interested?
    Don

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

If you can find (maybe in your bank or credit union - maybe from an insurance adjuster) a NADA RV value book for RVs, I think it's them, they have a section in the back that rates the builders of the RVs as basic, medium, and top of the line or some such system. This is a very good idea for rating the manufacturer of the ones you are looking at and "should" be considered in your considerations. Remember this too; all of the manufacturers use essentially all the same gear to build their rigs but HOW it's put together will make it a headache or a delightful experience. Id est, there are just so many windows, so many AC units, so many refers and stoves but it's the construction of the unit that makes it tight, reliable, comfortable, warm, use of space yada yada.

On the engine you're contemplating, if you don't anticipate hauling your rig over any serious hills or mountains, then the heavy duty gas rig just may serve you well up to 26 or 28 feet of trailer and especially if it's constructed lightly. But, even if you only cross the Rockies or the Sierra Nevadas once a year, you'll wish you'd bought the diesel. The diesel will give you better fuel mileage empty or towing and as often as not, the fuel is a bit cheaper - not always. Diesel tends to be slower on the rising market and also slower when it begins to drop; just the way it is....breakemall...Bob Dodd

8. darwinbene

darwinbene Member

Agree with BDodd about the 5th wheel.

We have had two new trailes now and they all have quality issues. The so-called up-scale coaches have so many problems. The industry is growing so fast the suppilers can't keep up with demand, so qualty suffers.

I just talked to an individual that bought a Gulfstream Yellowstone, and this line is considered luxury coaches. They stayed for two weeks near the factory for the sole purpose of getting things fixed before they started traveling. In the second week of their stay, the wife ask her husband what might go wrong today.

If you buy new be prepared to have a lot of problems.
    Darwin

9. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I just bought new and "knock on wood" I haven't had a problem yet. I went with the Keystone Montana and got the 3600RE. LeeAnn and I love it we also went with the cummings diesel in a Dodge dually with 4x4. I went over on the truck but I don't want to wish I had bought bigger so I went to the one ton. WE are expecting to go to the mountains and over the passes when they come up and I figure we will be able to pull them when we get there. My advice on the trailers is to go buy where they make them and that's northern Indiana. I did and I figure I saved right at 10,000. No joke, they will deal with you up there and in Elkhart there are 12 dealers to choose from. Have fun when you get your's and happy camping. Dan

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The first criteria is if you have a 4x4 or a 4x2 truck.<br>
    <br>
    Some 4x4 trucks may require a trailer that can have the ride height altered so it clears the bed of the pickup, especially on rougher roads. And particularly if you get a smaller trailer suitable for hunting on forest roads. Some trailers can have spring over axle conversions done easily, other can have torsion bars adjusted.

11. smartass

smartass TS Member

BDodd, do you know the difference betweeen a 5th wheel trailer and a MOTORHOME? I'll give you a hint: motorhomes have engines while trailers don't.

12. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

This Camper is still for sale. I also have the Ford F250 SD 4x4 Diesel extended cab(1999) that I pulled this camper with for sale ($11995.00).
    Don

13. nukinfuts

nukinfuts TS Member

Look into the Jayco brand.I have a 35' 5th wheel and these are the top of the line in the RV world.....Nuc

14. Robb

Robb Member

Check out Carriage.

15. hounddog41@charter.net

hounddog41@charter.net Member

Mike First of all I agree with Nuc. I own and have for sale a 31" Jayco Designer Model RKS. It still has about four months of warranty. I also own a 2005 Duramax Diesel. What a rig for towing. Im going to buy another Jayco Designer. Really like the one I have just want to go a little bigger three of four slides. Nuc is right the Designer is the top of the line. Mine has a king bed fireplace 4 table and chairs and a hid a bed. Im looking for somewhere in the low 30's. Still books retail for over $36000. My dealership will give me $28,000 on trade so you know they are going to price it up from there. I have no kids never been smoked in. Im going to try and sell it outright as I can make a better deal that way. Either way its going to be sold out right or traded. Im going to by a new 36" Jayco Designer, loaded. Sells for a little over $50,000. If you interested let me know and Ill send some pictures. Where are you located? Im located in superior Wisconsin. Id be willing to work out some type of delivery arrangement if not too far. Look into the Jayco Designer you cant go wrong with one. thanks and good luck in your search. alex Kotter

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

My pal has Duramax pulling Montana, 36 foot. On his 3rd rig. He will not have anything else.

I trust his judgement.

HM

17. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

If you can go to an RV show and look at the many models and do some comparative shopping. What some call top of the line are only in the middle. Go and set in the actual floor plan you are considering, what looks good on paper can be total different in person and may not fit your needs. Also bear in mind that the Manufacturers Suggested Price is at least 20+% over dealer cost.

Web sites are a tremendous source of info.

I tow with a Chev. DuraMax and am very pleased with performance.

Don

18. nukinfuts

nukinfuts TS Member

Also Mike If your truck is a Chevy Duramax you might have to upgrade to a better truck. Many surveys have been conducted to show that,when towing a trailer over 18' the performance drops very low with the duramax series....Nuc.. Might I say that the survey showed that the deisel's are much better!

19. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Nuc; That is absolute horse crap.

Don

20. Tom

Tom TS Member

rennerize, why didn't you start a new thread to sell your overpriced junk instead of resurrecting this one?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.