1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T 500 S&W Mag/Special

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tonygrz, Jun 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonygrz

tonygrz TS Member

Hi,

Was looking for a forum on the 500 S&W Mag but couldn't find one. Maybe someone on this forum might know. The latest issue of Shooting Times has an article on the 500 S&W Mag and it also shows a 500 Special (shortened 500 Mag). Anyone have any experience with the 500 Special ??? I like the idea of a 50 cal barrel but I don't want a magnum. Maybe the 500 Special will have less recoil, less cost to load and a lot more comfortable to shoot.

Any opionions or comments ????

Tony G (Texas)

2. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

The one I am waiting for is when they start producing a short barrel rifle (like a Rem. 788 or a Marlin lever) in that .500 mag. The brush hunters will flock to that like a bear to honey.

Big Jack

3. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Buy the 500 mag and load it down. Been doing that for years with the 44. Light practice loads but the ability to load hot for hunting or protection.

4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The best commentary on the gun I have heard came from someone who owns one. He said he fired one shot, and had no desire to ever fire another one.

5. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

Check out the Smith Forum. Lots of great people and info.

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

6. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

I looked at several used 500 S&W Mags at Cabelas several months ago. One gun's cylinder had two rounds fired thru it and the other had three. Tell you something?

7. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

I briefly owned one of the first .500 S&W's made in 2003. Serial# BCE 1587 if I recall correctly.

It BROKE on the FIRST shot using COR-BON 275 grain Barnes copper solid, the LIGHTEST of the original three, .500 S&W rounds available at the time.

The problem was the recoil forces galled the tiny hand and ratchet interface.
    The gun is built like a bank vault with regard to its frame and cylinder, but the tiny, internal action parts are no bigger than those in a K-frame Model 10
    M&P .38 special.

I sent it back to S&W and it was returned to me three months later - where it lasted exactly two more rounds before seizing up again. I noticed when the gun was shipped back to me - only three of the five chambers had been test fired at the factory-

I then traded the gun in at a 50% loss just to be rid of it. Prices for the .500 S&W have decreased in my area more than 30% since they first came out.

If you shot the 440 grain hard cast COR BON, you risked having the cylinder flop open during recoil and some have even skipped a chamber when the cylinder stop was pulled down during double action.

A four pound stainless steel paperweight and the world's most USELESS Piece of Junk handgun ever made. If you want the ballistic equivalent of a .500 S&W firing the 275 gr Cor Bon Copper solid - buy a $200 Mossberg 500 deer gun in 20 guage with sabot slugs using the same projectile. The gun will work, the recoil is more managable, the gun will be easier to shoot and have the same if not higher muzzle velocity.

The only thing worse than a .500 S&W is one of the new Airweight 637s that have "almost no rifling" in their bores. Seriously, take a bore light to one at a gun shop - there'll be a little pressed in groove but no cut rifling and the POS can't put a bullet on three foot by five foot target FRAME past 15 yds

My little M-38 Airweight with pinned barrel made in the 1960s can group 2" from a bench at 25 yards.

New S&Ws are JUNK Absolutely overpriced, badly made, rest on their laurels namesake - JUNK

8. Explorer1

Explorer1 TS Member

I own a 4" 500 S&W; fun gun if you like big stuff. No, I do NOT shoot much factory ammo as it simply hard to hold. I cast my own ~500 bullets and "load down" to around 44 mag levels, it is then fun.
    Helped with a ladies introductory class last weekend, the hit of the event was the 500. I did not get it out, had a request after one of the gals shot a 44 DW. Then several more had to try 1 round each.
    No, I do not shoot buckets of ammo each outing but I do have confidence when picking huckleberries that I can ward off problems.

9. tonygrz

tonygrz TS Member

Thanks for all the great info. Borrowed a friend's Ruger Blackhawk in 45LC and talked him out of it. A lot better for me since I can download it to Cowboy shooting velocity or upload it to near 44mag. Works for me.

Tony G (Texas)

10. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Blackhawk - MUCH more versatile, well made and re-sellable handgun. A much better choice than a 500 Smith.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.