1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T 50 cal Muzzle recipes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BIGbill, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIGbill

BIGbill TS Member

What is a good recipe for a thompson omega 50 cal muzzleloader. I need to know what bullets to buy and also the powder and primer. This is my first trip into the land of muzzle loading.

Bill

2. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

it has been years for me, but for going into the woods after a bear after dark was 220 gr. of pistol pyrodex and 2 balls!!

tony

3. BIGbill

BIGbill TS Member

I want to fill the freezer with deer meat. Don't care how big the donor is

Bill

4. creteham

creteham Member

Bill,

Start out with 100 gr Pyrodex RS or the pellets, and whatever bullets look sexy to you and go from there. I've found that no two muzzleloaders like the same thing, that's why I prefer the loose powder over the pellets. Easier to tweak the load a little. Only real way to find out what works in your rifle is to do a lot of shooting and a lot of experimenting.

FWIW,

Terry

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

90 grains of Pyrodex RS under a Hornady Great plains or a Maxi Ball will shoot into a coffe cup at 100.

Send me some sausage.

HM

6. Guard Rail

Guard Rail TS Member

100 GRAINS OF FF AND 370 GRAIN MAXIBALL. PYRODEX NO GOOD!

BK

7. rick resko

rick resko TS Member

i had no luck with the pyrodex pellets in my encore. i switched to loose pyrodex. im shooting 90 grains with a 250 gr hornady sabot. 2 inch groups at 100 yds. i see guys stuffing 150 grains down the tube but its overkill to me. like cretham said above it pays to experiment.

8. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Bill,

Creteham is correct; it takes a lot of range time to find your rifle's pet load. I have a T/C Encore that after much experimenting will approach MOA with 130 gr. of loose Triple Seven ignited by a Rem. ML 209 primer using the Harvester ribbed sabots and a 300 gr Hornady 45 cal bullet. This is my elk load and it will put them down. DRT!

For deer this is a bit of an overload and the 250 gr bullets will be more suitable.

I am not a fan of the Pyrodex. I found it hard to light and more difficult to clean. I loved using Elephant and Swiss black powder, but real BP is so difficult to obtain nowadays that I settled on T7.

Good luck in your search. I found the journey almost as enjoyable as the destination. Muzzle loading is like a Japanese Tea Service; the joy is in the preparation as much as the drinking. Launching 300 grains at 200 yards and shooting small groups that will rival store bought deer rifles is a rush.

HBT

9. okieshootist

okieshootist Member

We use american pioneer powder. It burns clean and is much less messy than other powders I have tried. My load is 100 grains (volume) of AP with rem 209ML primer and Hoernady sabot with 300 gr SST. Shoots into a coffee cup at 150 yds and dumps our border whitetails on their nose. Okieshootist (David H)

10. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

This is a good gun of choice. 100 grs. triple seven, 209 ML Primer, Hornady low drag 250 MML

Joe Woods/Ontario

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Bill, I'll tell you what works in my 50-cal T/C Omega. I guess muzzleloaders are like any rifle in that what works in one may not in another, but this is what I found. Mine is a stainless thumbhole laminate version, if that matters, and I have a Leupold 3-9x scope with a special-made BDC reticle like the one in Nikon's Omega scope on it.

I tried three Pyrodex pellets and Hornady 250-grain SST/ML saboted bullets, the ones with the "tail" on the sabot. They shot into 3" at 100 yards at about 2,275 FPS. I then tried the same bullet with three Pellets of Triple Se7en - that load shoots into 1.5" at about 2,220 FPS. It's a little slower but twice as accurate. I didn't experiment beyond that, as I feel that is acceptable accuracy for a muzzleloading rifle that will only be used on deer-size game and - in Pennsylvania's woods, anyway - at no more than 100 yards.

The T/C Shock Wave bullets and sabots did not shoot as well as either Hornady load but I had just the five that came with my rifle, so I only tried them with Triple Se7en. Since I have Federal 209A primers on hand by the thousands for my trap loads, I use them in my smokepole.

Ed

12. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

Hey - I would not try the 100 grains of FF black powder right off the start - it will hurt your shoulder a lot -- use a 50 cal. ball with a patch and start with 55 gr. of black powder and work up to about 70 grains of FF and see how it performs for you in your gun. the beav

13. creteham

creteham Member

I'll echo what others have said....I prefer REAL black powder, if you can find it. The last batch I bought was Schutzen and it came out of the trunk of a car in a deserted parking lot! As for bullets, round ball in that Omega is probably not the way to go. Rate of twist is too fast and patched balls tend to fly all over the place.

Good luck,

Terry

14. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Been shooting black powder guns since the mid sixties...all the way from 31 cal squirrel rifle to 58 cal musket. Have more than I need but always want more. Used to go through a keg of black and about a hundred pounds of lead a year. All but quit when the kids were in sports and I was building our house. Got back into hunting with muzzle loaders after buying a farm and tried all the "new" stuff, sabots, pyrodex (sensitive to seating pressure and hard to "lite" up), triple seven, and found all of those combinations leave a crusty ring ahead of the powder chamber when fired making a second load and shot an exercise in futility...if you can't seat them the same, they don't shoot the same.

I have gone back to the basics. Fortunate to have several pounds of original Dupont black, I use it exclusively. Also, in the slow twist guns, (Renegade 58, and my home built John Rupp style flinter) I use patched round balls, lubing the patch with a little maxi lube and putting a milk carton disc over the powder to prevent contamination. For my TC 50 G2, I've gone back to the old Maxi ball lubed with bore butter, shot over about 100 grains of 2F. All three will group with fine accuracy. Round balls don't work in the 1 in 20 to 1 in 28 inch twists of most modern MLs. Slugs don't work well in the slower twists of the older roundball guns but maxis sometimes are satisfactory if the twist is no slower than 1 in 48.

If you want to be at least a little traditional, I'd suggest getting a box of the pre lubed maxi balls or maxi hunters and scrounging a pound of black. Can't beat the smell and just don't forget to clean. (you can get several shots off without having to swab).

15. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

When I used to hunt deer with a 50 cal muzzle loader, I used 60 grains of Pyrodex RS in slow twist barrels along with a patched .490 round ball. This load was accurate and did the job under 50 yards or so. I used it on the practice range and hunted with it. Too much powder IMO pushes the ball over the rifling and does not impart sufficient spin for accuracy.

I then got a .50 cal TC Hawken and a Ruger 77/50 each with faster twist barrels. Here, I found that a 240 grain Hornady XTP pistol bullet in a sabot ahead of 90 grains (weighed charges) of Pyrodex RS was a wonderfully accurate load in each rifle.

Whatever you use, you need to shoot your muzzle loader enough so that you can shoot at least a 2" group at 50 yards. The Ruger would shoot just over 2" at 100 yards.

Shot placement is the key. A well placed round ball will take more game than any high speed load that misses the deer or does not hit a vital area.

Ed Ward

16. birddogs46

birddogs46 Active Member

my favorite load in my omega 50cal. is 100 grs. triple 7 loose powder;250 gr. barnes expander bullets; remington ml primers; also u might want to get a jar of t/c cleaning patches and a jar of their bore butter patches, and after shooting and are done for the day run a bore butter patch down the barrel, t/c has a lot of great products for the ml's

17. birddogs46

birddogs46 Active Member

something else i forgot to mention in the above post, i had stu wright put a heavy caliber recoil reducer in my stock, did add some weight to the rifle, not much though, makes th recoil similar to a 20 ga, nothing macho about getting the hell kicked out of you shooting full steam loads in rifles iv'e also got a t/c rengade 54 cal. and u don't want a whole lot 0f 120 gr. black powder and the 400 gr maxi ball especially off the bench, u defintly know when she goes off anyways good luck with your new toy...dk

18. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

100 gr. Blackhorn 209. {Non Corrosive} Hornady 451 XTP bullet and Knight HP Sabot.

19. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

My load I worked up in my Knight was 100 grains FF and 300 grain XTP, it would thump you prety good, wife and grandson complained so I loaded a patched round ball and 70 grains Pyrodex. They both got deer last year and the deer could not tell the difference.

tom

20. ken a

ken a Member

I found that my thompson had the best results with 130 grains of powder and 300 grain sabot. Ken

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.