1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T 5.56mm

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, May 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Little of topic, but the MSAR STG556 Microtech semi auto riffle has just made the Massachusetts aproval list. I have been thinking of getting some sort of 5.56/223. I have SKS, AK47 and a wasr10. These where all perchased in the sub 300.00 range and are great shooters for 100yards or so. As I scan through my safe I seem to be lacking a more modern US military type riffle. Been wanting a AR15 type for a while. Been tossing around between S&W M&P AR or The Stag arms. OR do I just build one from componants. I have looked at used but it seems everyone selling them used locally thinks they have some rare above the norm ARs. ????

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Rock River, best value for the buck. I have heard the Stag is good, though.

HM

3. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Go to above web site. I have what you want there under New Arrivals.
    Mike Battista

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Mike, sent you a email.......for those interested in some things we need to go through to get NEW model guns here in mass. This is the handgun Ban/requirements.

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

As a Law Enforcement Patrol Rifle Instructor, I always recommend the AR-15 platform.

Parts, general good quality, easy repair, cheap mags, unbelievable accessory availability, and easy stoppage reduction techniques, if needed, are in this gun's favor.

Rock River, Bushmaster, Remington, DPMS, Smith & Wesson, and of course, the Colt's, are all quality arms.

I prefer the chrome lined barrel with the NATO chamber and a 1-9" twist.

I couldn't care less about a flash hider or bayonet lug. If I run out of ammo or experience a stoppage, I am transitioning to my Glock 17! My training arm is an older Colt's Competition Match with detachable carrying handle and has a post ban 16" HBAR with the above specs. The only addition is a Trijicon ACOG. ALL internal parts and the trigger are stock.

These guns are handier and more reliable with the 20 round mags.

I use AA2015 and Military brass exclusively in my 5.56 rounds. This fabulous powder produces minimum muzzle flash, and factory ballistics with moderate pressure. These guns do not need small base resizing dies, and are easy on brass. Use canellured bullets and a Lee Factory Crimp Die.

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

would you build from parts or buy complete?

7. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

I have 3 Rock River Arms , but right now there is an incredible backlog on them. Unless you can find what you want in stock, you will wait longer than most people care to wait.

I have heard very good things about the STAG rollmark if you don't mind the deer head logo. Might be your best bet for the money.

Del-ton is also making some very good rifles for affordable prices

If you are looking for high end, check out

LMT, Noveske,Sabre defense (SDI)

8. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

I would recommend building your own lower receivers, and buying complete upper
    assemblies, unless you want to invest in the special tools needed to build and check headspace on the upper assembly.

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Whatever you do, get them now before one of the three gun banners gets elected.

10. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Go with the Stag. From what I read, the company is spin off of CMT Co. which makes parts for the other mfgs. of AR rifles. I figured any company that can produce a left hand model has to know what they are doing.

I purchased their M4 flat top with the flip up rear sight. Runs like a champ with all types of ammo. Their stock is milspec so you can change to another type of stock later if you want to. I have an FFL and the Stag was the BEST wholesale price of any of the quality AR's. When I purchased mine around a year ago my price was under $700.00. They have since gone up about $20.00.

Your dealer should be able to order you one if they don't stock them. Now that you know the wholesale price you can decide how much you want to pay. Good Luck

AJ

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Very good, I was considering a lefty stag. I do shoot lefty. Just find its always a pain for parts with lefty guns.

12. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Didn't know you were a lefty. The Model 2L (lefty) is a nice way to go if you plan on putting some type of optic on it. NO carry handle but comes with a VERY good flip up rear sight. Wholesale is $715.95. If your dealer won't "deal" let me know. Maybe I can help you out.

AJ100

13. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Well, THAT made the choice simple. A lefty AR-15!

14. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

will do! Thanks guys. checked out AR15.com and was just overwhelming!

15. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

LOL, Not overwhelming to those guys. They live and breath the AR. The can tell you anything you want to know about the "ugly black rifle".

You just found out what a LOT of people on this site NEVER knew. There are firearms in this world other than our trap guns.

AJ100

16. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Its just that I have this void in my safe, shotguns single S/S O/U auto
    Handguns 38 357 9mm 40 45. riffles 22 bolt/auto 30 06 and 308, Mosin Nagnet,sks,ak Mauser. M1 garand, New production Sprinfield M1A. Just looking for that missing spot. The AR15. There are several others like some fnls hks ect ect I would love to get also. I also have been tossing around the saiga (ak47) chambered in .223. runing about 300.00 aorund here.

17. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

one just needs a thick skin over at arfcom, but all the info is there for the taking. The thing is , there is a large amount of info available on the AR15, and it takes a good long while to glean out what you need to know

18. Lyle

Lyle Member

I just got a Stag 6L last week and shot my first three shot group with it at 100 yds. I could cover the group with a penny.
    I am very happy with it!

Lyle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.