1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T .45 Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mike K P, Oct 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

I have a nice Kimber stainless .45 full size, I really like the gun but like the feel and size and handling of some of the compacts. I'm new to handguns so what do I sacrifice in moving down to say a 4" or even 3.5" barrel? Accuracy, recoil? Looking for an all around .45 to shoot for fun as well as home defense.
    Any imput would be appreciated. Thanks. Mike.

2. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

All .45's are great fun. The smaller ones will have more recoil and a little less accuracy. However, they carry easier. I have never met a .45 that wasn't fun to shoot. It don't get much better than a Kimber. Shoot what you already have and enjoy it. John

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

What you have is fine. If looking to carry a compact may be better for you. I carried a full size S&W .45 for a while. It just gets heavy. Especially on the hip. I switched to a S&W 4013tsw .40. A bit easier to hide. The new S&W MP series hand guns are a lot for the price.

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I pretty much mirror tomk2's thoughts. And, yes, every year of age the full sized gun becomes heavier and heavier. A lightweight Commander is about as small as I'd recommend in the .45 ACP....Bob Dodd

5. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

I have had numerous full size and compact 1911's. My personal carry gun is a Kimber Pro Carry SLE which is the "Commander" sized pistol. In my opinion this is the best of both worlds. It's easier to conceal and lighter than a full sized 1911, but it is much easier to shoot than a compact.

Unless you shoot a LOT I think you will find the compacts much more challenging to shoot well than a 4" gun the size of the Commander.

hubcap

6. 45er

45er TS Member

I currently own a full size Springfield Armory 1911 A-1, a WWII Remington Rand 1911, a Sig Sauer P220 and because these were all full sized 45's, I recently bought a Kimber Ultra Compact as a carry arm. Several people said that I would not enjoy shooting a 3" 45. BS! I really enjoy shooting it and it shoots darned near as well as the full sized guns. In fact, if it had adjustable sights to really fine tune the POI, I'd shoot it all the time. Rob Abbott

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Mike, My first .45 was a Kimber Stainless steel Untra carry and I could hit 1 inch dots at 25 yards with it slow fire. I didn't know any better so I joined a pistol leauge and of the 60 guys I came in the top third or so with my short Kimber using the wrong ammo( I was using factory hardball ammo) instead of target ammo.Between my shot gun shooters trigger mentality and the short barrel I still had a decent showing. I had a CCW permit and the full size guns were to much to hide so I got the Ultra-carry. The only thing I would do is a trigger job even though the trigger on my gun was fine I wanted it a bit better. I had Kimber do it. My ultra carry fed any ammo I put through it. The guys who are concerned about ammo not feeding don't understand what these new breed of .45 pistols are. I guess in the old days these guns could be finicky but these Kimbers come from the factory with all the modifacations that they used to do to .45 pistols years ago. I suspect that it would cost a good 2,000 or more to get one of the old .45's to do what the Kimbers do out of the box. Enjoy friend. Jeff

8. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

I shoot the full-size steel 1911's best. Solid & steady & wonderful triggers. But I don't like carrying them, too heavy for me. You may sacrifice some accuracy in a smaller gun, and if it's smaller steel or alloy you'll gain some recoil, not a whole lot but possibly enough to make shooting sessions more tiring. Polymers seem to me to recoil less. You could look at the Springfield XD-45 or S&W M&P. My XD-45 Compact (same 4" barrel as the Service, but shortened grip) is a pleasure to shoot, even in long sessions. Slide's the same width as a 1911, so carries as well. Nice house gun, 13+1. But keep that Kimber, whatever else you buy. I predict it'll be the .45 you go to for long pleasant shooting sessions. Phil

9. jamiebanker

jamiebanker Member

I shoot a Kimber Pro Carry II. Short and compact, but just as accurate as most of my full-size 45's if I do my part. I used it to qualify for a carry permit. Shot all 10's. It never malfunctions.

Jamie

10. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Joe E: Might this be a holster issue? The Sig 220 does carry well, but the XD compact's exactly the same size as a Glock 19, which a bunch of people carry. Might you want to try some different holsters before dumping it? My 2 favorites are the BladeTech IWB and the Kramer horsehide IWB. I carry a G19 and Browning HiPower in both with equal security & zero movement. The FBI cant will reduce butt-drop if your current holster isn't canted. I don't know if Kramer makes XD holsters yet, but their horsehide belt holster holds very tightly if you don't like IWB. Springfield shows some Don Hume leather scabbards at XDPistols.com. Don't know if Milt Sparks makes an XD holster. Comp-Tac kydex holsters (Comp-Tac.com) come strongly recommended, but I haven't tried one yet. My apologies if you've already tried different holsters, just a thought. Phil E

11. shadow

shadow Active Member

Check out the Springfield MICRO Compact. 3 inch barrel and 21oz of pure fun. Kinda LOUD, but one hell of a carry piece.

12. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

I have always stayed with the .45 ACP 5" barrel. The 4" had more rise with the muzzle of the gun for follow up shots. My CCW is a full length .45, my back up is a .45 full length and my back up to the back up is a full length .45. Kimber is a great gun and very accurate.

If you can learn to shoot the .45 full length that would be my advice. If the .45 full length is too much you may want to consider moving down to a .40 with a 4" barrel. Have the primary use of your handgun for home protection and then have shooting fun with it. Remember shooting for fun is also good for your home protection. Instinctive shooting has great advantages. Michael

13. tsosin

tsosin TS Member

To my way of thinking, there is no better gun to shoot targets than a full size .45 and your Kimber is a good one. The compacts are easier to carry, but have more recoil, and are not as accurate for all but the best shooters. If your looking to carry, go smaller. If your looking at target shooting and a gun to keep in your home for self defense, you already have the gun you need.

You'll notice that I said the "gun you need". The gun you want is a totally different story.

14. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

I did not read all the posts here. The smaller ones are easy to carry, easy to hide and easy to store in the car or truck. Yes you will not have the groups say at 50 yards as you would with a full size gun but the small guns are made for short yardage shots. From your car or from across the room. If you can not hit the person in this area then you don't need a gun. I would gladly carry a smaller 45 and I would be happy to do so.

15. eagles11

eagles11 TS Member

Mike,

All good advise here. Especially the one to go and buy a few more 45's. Can never have too many.

Keep in mind that in a gunfight the distances are usually 7 yards and less so the minimal loss of accuracy is just that, minimal. The best advise is to get a gun you are comfortable carrying so that you will carry it. Long, short, big or small does not help you any if you do not make a habit of carrying it.

Second thing to keep in mind, what is acceptable accuracy in a gunfight? I had a student tell me one time that she thought that if a person could keep the rounds somewhere around the pockets and buttons of an assailant that was good enough. She is probably correct. With a little work you should be able to do so with all the mentioned pistols.

The only gunfight I have experienced was with a dog, she brought teeth to a gunfight, and it was very unpleasant. Fortunately I had a Para Ordinance P-12 that I actively carry and it still took six hits to end the confrontation. This is a 3.5 inch gun that shoot acceptably at 0-25 yards. In this case the acceptable accuracy was 6 hits on a moving target under 7 yards. Did not autopsy her but saw all shots impact. I was surprised that it did not body slam her on the first shot, LOL.

Hope this helps.

Jack Burch

16. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

Thanks for all the good advice. I'm a shotgunner at heart who just picked up my first .45 and probably not my last. I really appreciate all the good honest advice. Mike.

17. Nitro Power

Nitro Power TS Member

Have any of you looked at and fired a Dan Wesson Pointman 7? From what I read it appears to have some great higher end upgrades, yet the price seems very reasonable. NP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.