1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T 30-06 load

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Tugboat, May 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tugboat

Tugboat Member

Looking for a proven '06 recipe using a 150 grain bullet at ranges of 200 yards and up..Thanks in advance..

2. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Decide on a bullet, then either buy that manufacturer's loading manual or go to their website. Depending on what you are hunting, I'd pick either the Nosler Partition or Solid Base and go from there.

3. Straight99

Straight99 Member

Try 48 gr. IMR 4064. I have shot some of the smallest groups with several 30-06 rifles. Glenn

4. trapperpg

trapperpg Member

When using 150gr in the 06,I have always had good results with Sierra bullets and IMR4064. Think the 180gr bullets are a much better choice for this caliber.

PG

5. marotta

marotta Member

what do you all think of the synthetic tipped (plastic tipped) bullets for hunting?

6. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I am still using 4831 surplus from ww2 I think. I have had it for 40 years. It works great and was very cheap at the time.

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I use a Sierra 150Spitzer flat base ProHunter..over 57.5gr IMR4350 in Winchester brass,..you must use Win brass for this load as it is @ max and Win brass has the most room...start @ 54gr and work up.
    **this load is from Sierra Load Manual...I have gotten sub 1" out of any rifle used in but approach carefully as I said,..it has been safe in MY RIFLES

8. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Try going here, to the Hodgdon "reloading data center". Me and a friend have been using it for the past couple of months and have been getting great results. Good luck.

-Jollytrapshooter

9. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

For deer hunting, I use the factory loaded Remington Express (Green Box) 180 grain PSP Core Lokt. Longest shot to date in the Kentucky Woods is about 135 yards. This is a dependable and devastating load for any member of the deer family. This load is good on quartering shots as it will get to the vitals.

For punching holes in paper with a 1903 Springfield match rifle, I load a 150 grain Speer FMJBT and 44.5 grains of IMR 4895. Velocity is about 2,400 fps. I don’t want to put too much stress on the old rifle.

The Springfield has a serial number over 1,100,000 and a four groove RIA barrel made in November, 1912. The receiver was made in 1920 and the rifle has a pistol grip stock. I bought the rifle for $100 in 1980 and do not know its history. It is not a National Match but it looks and shoots like one. It shoots less than a 1" three shot groups at 100 yards with the Lyman #48 aperture sights. I have been offered several times the original cost by local 1,000 yard shooters but it is not for sale.

If you are loading for a M1 Garand, M14 or M1A, consult with a good loading manual like a Speer for a discussion on loads/powders that will not harm the operating rods and other internal parts of gas operated US military firearms.

For longer ranges with a 30-06, I would go for a 165 grain extended range bullet with a polymer tip. I am a reasonably competent metallic hand loader but for a serious hunt, I would select a Federal Premium loading. New Federal Premium metallic cartridges are hard to beat.

10. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I will not hunt with anything but the 150 grain bullet, and I prefer the Sierra flat base spitzer to all else.

Any reasonable hit on my part has been a one shot dead where it was standing kill.

I don't know about the current loading for the new 4320, but the old stuff every 06 we own groups under a nickle at 100 yards.

This load has been effective at any range I dare try.

The OLD LYMAN 45 addition manuel, has this powder as the accuracy load for the 150. but the powder was reformulated and that old book is out dated so be careful!

Al

11. ftlupton

ftlupton TS Member

I shoot a lot of 06 and my favorite load is 165 gr boatail with 56.0 grs. of IMR4350. Don't hunt much anymore but in Colorado we have big Mulies and Elk so 165 gr is minimum for me at least. Used 4895 when I used a Rem. semi-auto in 06 and it worked good too.
    ftlupton

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

For ranges over 200 yards you may find better downrange performance with the 165 bullets. Lots of load data for free on the web from manufacturers.

DO NOT USE loads from this site. You have no idea what kind of "expert" is posting info.

13. LABS4U0

LABS4U0 TS Member

I have grouped alot of 30-06 loads and found that IMR 4350 worked the best for me with hornady bullets.

14. tom monzitta

tom monzitta Member

There are a varity of loads for using 4350. Start with a low pressure load and work your way up, noting what your particular rifle likes the best. That's what's fun about reloading, finding the particular load that your have the most confedence in. I lived in Wyoming for a number of years and found the 165 grain Nosler Ballistic tip to be very effective. For big Mulies or Elk, the 180 grain Nosler Partician can't be beat.

For out of the box cartriges, my rifle likes Rem. Cor-Loct 180 grainers. Buy a few different types of powder, a few boxes of bullets, a couple of trays of primers and some brass, a good book on reloading (or two) and go to the range and experiement!

15. a budine

a budine Member

I use Speer 150 gr. Mag-tips, 50 grains IMR 4895 = 1-1.5 groups and 27 deer - no wounded, longest tracking job - under 100 yards. Enjoy.

16. C-Money

C-Money Member

150gr Hornady Inter-Lock Bullet with IMR 4350 has killed ALOT of Mulie's, White tails, and I killed a small bull elk in 2006 with this combo. I have watched almost all of the animals fall over dead. They dont go far. The Bull went 50yrd before going down. The bullet broke the left front shoulder and was found in the hide on the other side during skinning with perfect mushroom preformance. I still have that bullet.It stayed in one peice. I feel the 165 interlock would be my choice if I ever draw a branch antler bull tag here in Wa.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.