1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

o/t 28 or 410 for hunting tree rat/rabbit?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by famill00, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I am thinking of a new 28 or 410 to rabbit/squirrel hunt with and shoot the occasional round of skeet. Anyone have any suggestions on which I should get? Which model?????

thanks,
    Forrest

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

famill00, If I were to buy a new shotgun I think it would depend on the hunting to shooting skeet ratio. Are you going to hunt and eat your kill alot more often than shoot skeet or 50/50. Are you planning to eat your kill at all? If not than buy all means buy the 28 ga. If more hunting and eating than skeet maybe the 410. But most 410 field guns have 3 inch chambers as compared with the 2 and 1/2 chambers of the normal skeet gun, with 1/2 oz. of shot. The 3 inch chamber 410 is loaded with 11/16 oz. of lead and is almost the same amount as the 28 ga.(3/4 oz.). The 28 ga. is also by far my favorite ga. for skeet. I hope this helps you out somewhat. Good Luck. Break-em all. Jeff

3. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I definately reload. The gun will definately be used more for hunting than skeet. I stop by most Monday nights at the club for 1 round of skeet and then I just BS with all the people there. I was thinking that the 28 would be more versatile in that most 28 gauges are choked and only high end 410s are choked. I have been looking at an SKB for around $1300. Also, I have looked at the Ruger Red Label for around the same price. I think for the money I should go with the SKB??? What is your alls opinions? Anyone know of a 28/410 combo gun???

Forrest

4. jtf650

jtf650 Member

Joel Etchen has Beretta 687 28/410 combos, but they're around $3500. Another way to go is the Browning reproduction Model 12 in 28 gauge- it's fixed modified choke, but I use mine for recreational skeet and it's fine for that. You only lose or have to pick up 4 hulls per round. You can probably pick one up for around $600-700, maybe? I like mine, and while I don't know anything about hunting, I imagine it would be fine for rabbits and squirrels- maybe somebody more knowledgeable can chime in on that. James Fawcett

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

28 gauge is a heck of a lot easier to reload than a .410! (if that means anything to ya!)

6. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

For what it's worth....when I shot a lot of both those small gauges, I always thought of the 28 as the smallest "real gun". When you go to the .410, you (seemingly) give up a lot. That's not a problem on the Skeet range,,,,but I'd be concerned about wounded/lost game if hunting with one.
    I've had great results shooting quail over dogs w/ the 28.!!
    That would definitely be my choice. Not sure I'd use either of the "small gauges" for squirrels though.
    Your experience may vary...
    Cheers,
    Don

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

famil100, I think that the SKB is the better of two guns you had in mind by far. Do reload if you shoot these baby guns as well. You can't go wrong with a O/U, but others are right about price with the auto's and pumps. Do a little homework and buy what you like. Best of LUck. Break-em all. Jeff

8. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Don,
    You would be surprised at the little 410 performance for hunting. I currently have a Mossberg 500 with a 28" full choke barrel. 2 1/2 inch 1/2oz #6 will do a number on a squirrel out to 35 yards...last fall I had a kill at 45 yards, across a valley....but I had the gun rested on a tree limb and the squirrel was just sittin there eatin a nut. The gun patterns extremely tight. I also use it for rabbits. Again 2 1/2 inch shells, but 1/2 ounce #4. I dont like to pick shot out of the rabbits :) I currently do not have a reloader for the 410....4 boxes of shells a year isnt that costly.

Ahab,
    I agree that the 28 would be much easier to reload. A mec Jr. would definately be the choice as a reloader as I wont really reload that much. Even if I buy a new loader at $110, it will only take 3 cases to pay for it.

Another question, I shot a Browning O/U in 20 gauge the other night at the skeet range and it stompded the livin dog crap out of my cheeck. How is the recoil of the 28?

Thanks again! You guys are making this alot easier!

Forrest

9. jtf650

jtf650 Member

In addition to the Browning Model 12 replica I mentioned above, I have a 28 gauge Browning Citori XS with 28" barrels (I wanted 30", but this deal was too good to pass up and the 28"ers seem fine). Recoil seems non-existent to me, but that's pretty subjective and everybody's different. I'm reloadng with a MEC Sizemaster, which I much prefer to the 600 Jr. I think you'll probably enjoy whatever you get- I don't know anybody who doesn't like shooting the 28. An 1100 would be fun too, but the thought of those hulls flying away is too much for this cheapskate. James Fawcett

10. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

to what MC said, add pheasants over dogs.

11. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I looked today at whittakerguns and fell in love with one of the little guns. The Beretta 686 Onyx Pro in 26" choked barrels (I will get 28" barrels when I have him order me one). Gorgeous wood, good Beretta gel like butt pad, Hi-viz front sight, etc. $1469 Now, time to start saving pennies!!!

Thanks for all of your alls help!

Forrest

12. AdamsRibs

AdamsRibs TS Member

Why in the world would anyone want to use a shotgun (of ANY gauge!)
    for squirrel hunting?? Those things are difficult enough to clean
    when they have only one .22 rifle hole in them, let alone a bunch
    of shotgun pellets. I (and all my old hunting friends) have never
    used anything other than a .22 rifle for squirrels and can't understand
    why anyone would want to use anything more.....
    Just the musings of an OT (Old Timer, not Off Topic!) who remembers
    the days when it used to be a challenge to pick off a tree rat with
    an old worn-out Winchester Gallery Rifle...... But I'm serious,
    shooting a squirrel with a shotgun is like shooting a sitting duck
    on the water in the middle of your decoys. Where have the Sportsmen
    gone????

AdamsRibs

13. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I too squirrel hunt with a 22. Last year the longest kill was right at 80 yards....with a .17HMR I gues my dad should only give me 3 shotgun shells to kill 5 squirrels with...would that make it more fair? LOL

Forrest

14. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

The 28 is a sweety. You can buy or load a lot more variety in a 28 than in a 410. I use the 28 with sporting loads in 7 1/2 for doves and use 1oz #5s for pheasants.

If you do go to a 410, look at the ballistics before buying a bunch on 3" shells. 3"ers are slow, sometimes too slow. The 1/2 oz loads (2 1/2") are appreciably faster and better killers (if you keep shots at about 20 yards).

15. AdamsRibs

AdamsRibs TS Member

Mr. Charles,
    Yes, you are definitely entitled to use a shotgun. The ones
    I worry about are the kids (I'm 70, myself) who are being taught
    to shoot a blast into a tree and see what falls out. Marksmanship
    no longer enters into it. My .22 rifle was an old worn-out Winchester
    Gallery gun, chambered for .22 shorts (I always shot Longs or Long
    Rifles in it, the bore was worn out anyhow) Lots of squirrels met
    their demise in front of that old piece of hardware. Too bad some
    one stole it out of my car one night, I'd still be shooting it.

AdamsRibs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

28 or 410 for squirel and rats