1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T 25 WSSM

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by miss alot, Apr 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miss alot

miss alot TS Member

O/T .223 WSSM

Just aquired a .223 WSSM and went ouy sighted it in at 50 yards and got sub 1/2 inch groups. We then backed up to 100 yards and got only 8 to 10 inch groups with 2 different kinds of ammo. What gives, is this all this gun is capable of. This is a brand new Browning A-Bolt. Any insight would be nice.

Thanxs for any help

Rich S.

2. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Miss Alot,

Go to benchrest.com.

Do a search on their site and you'll see the .223 wssm is not a very polular caliber, especially in a M-70.

I had a couple of them come in last summer, one with accuracy problems and both with a problem getting the bolt open after the shot.

A few guys on the site have sent their guns back to Winchester and the factory replaced them, sometimes several times.

The link above will bring you right to all of the dicussions with regards to the .223 wssm

Doug Braker

3. Dutchboy

Dutchboy TS Member

http://www.wssmzone.com. HTH, Dutch.

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

generally based on the minute.of.angle group u got @50 yds you would expect moa at 100. Possibly you, or the bullet weight is making it unstable @ 100. Is it keyholing?

5. frozen

frozen TS Member

If you handload, you might try different bullet size loads. Its amazing how the lenth of the bullet will effect stabilization.

6. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

I have a Wally World Win Model 70 Super Shadow in 243 WSSM that shoots sub moa groups with Reed's 75 grain V-Max ammo.

The Browning thing scares me because I have a slightly used A-Bolt Varmit Stalker coming this week in 243 WSSM.

Are the Browning problems related to the 223 WSSM only??

7. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Duckman: I'd say worry not. I predict you'll have another super-shooter. As Paul Harvey would say, there's more to this story. Maybe not even a story. Phil E

8. Dutchboy

Dutchboy TS Member

One of the issues with the WSSM's is they seem to foul pretty quickly. Invest in a good rod, jags, and some JB's or Flitz, and scrub back to metal. JMO, Dutch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.