1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T .223 primer

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

Is the power of a .223 primer enough to send the bullet on it's way? I'm trying to project a worse-case situation with my reloading. I've been reloading many years, but have recently started using a Dillon press. I use powder that almost fills the case, so a double charge is impossible. The only other thing that could happen would be no powder. Unlikely, but possible. What would happen? Would the bullet stay in the case? Would I even hear the primer go off?

Please, only comment if you *know* what would happen, not what you *think* might happen. Thanks!!

bruce

2. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

The bullet would not stay in the case.

Depending on your ear protection you may or may not hear the primer only.

The bullet will lodge in the throat.

The only way your Dillon won't drop powder is if you have mis-adjusted it or run out of powder. They sell a low powder alarm just for that eventuality.

If you have questions about adjustment of the drop mechanism call Dillon. They are more than willing to assist you.

Love the 550B

HBT

3. capvan

capvan Active Member

OK. Yes, I love the 550B also. I know it would be hard to do, just trying to project a worse-case. I keep the powder supply at least 1/2 full at all times. I guess if I was REALLY worried I could weigh all loaded shells. An empty one should show up...

Bruce

4. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

attach a small, bright light so that it shines into the case at the posisition where you place the bullet . just take a moment to look inside to see the powder level. it has worked well for me. it helps to sit higher than the loader to make it easy to see down in there. never had a problem ina whole lot of rounds loaded.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I don't lad with a progressive, but using blocks of 50 I charge them all and then check that they all powder(at the same level) before I put the bullets in.

I have a friend that loads one shell at a time, way too slooooooowwwwwwww.

HM

6. capvan

capvan Active Member

HM, thanks for your help.

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

You may barely hear the primer and when you cycle the charging handle the case may come out without a bullet in it. If so, get out the old cleaning rod and something to tap it with.

However,

If you're doing a decent taper crimp at the end of the press (position 4), the bullet will likely be staying in the case (mine do).

On your other scenario when the powder measure has run dry without your noticing, get a high quality digital scale (like the $130 PACT) and weigh the loaded rounds. It will cull out the offending rounds really quickly. A beam balance is essentially worthless for this situation. I had one instance when the decapping pin pulled out of the rod and was loaded in a live round (damn PMC flash holes). With my PACT I was able to pick out the exact round (out of about 75-80 loaded rounds). I was loading prepped brass at the time so a full primer pocket didn't tip me off right away, I just happened to notice the decapper was gone. The decapping pin weighed 8 grains and the PACT picked it up the first time through weighing. I was delighted. I've also used the PACT to cull trap loads too when I run my loader out of components (the powder buzzer has helped me reduce this from happening as much). Good luck.

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I know that a particular 25-06 would not move the bullet for a primer only load. Someone at a local club just tested that theory a couple of weeks ago. :)I would have thought the bullet would have moved out of the neck, but it didn't. Might be the same thing for the .223, since the primer is smaller.

9. 90T

90T Member

Bruce,
    I had that exact thing happen to me about 1 mo. ago. First time ever,,and I load all my own shells. Don't know how it happened, as I'm very carefull. The bullet stayed in the shell. ( CCI primer )
    Dave

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

Bruce,
    I gently neck size for maximum accuracy in my bolt gun.

I apply a heavy crimp on those going into the AR15.

Results may vary.

Don Verna

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.