1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T .223 bullet weights

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BIGbill, Oct 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIGbill

BIGbill TS Member

I have a Bushmaster Varmint special in 223 and I am wondering if anybody has found ammunition that these things love. I have only tried 45 and 55 grain bullets (factory remington) but will try anything if someone has had some good luck. thus far have tried hornady and remington factory ammo, and have not been blown away yet.

I don't have the time to handload for this one, so if you have a secret load conjured up for the Bushie, it won't do me any good. May help somebody else, so feel free to post.

the Bushie is 223 24 inch barrel with 1 in 9 twist. Have been thinking about some heavier bullets, maybe up to 70 or 80 grains.

Appreciate the help.

Bill

2. BIGbill

BIGbill TS Member

I have a Bushmaster Varmint special in 223 and I am wondering if anybody has found ammunition that these things love. I have only tried 45 and 55 grain bullets (factory remington) but will try anything if someone has had some good luck. thus far have tried hornady and remington factory ammo, and have not been blown away yet.

I don't have the time to handload for this one, so if you have a secret load conjured up for the Bushie, it won't do me any good. May help somebody else, so feel free to post.

the Bushie is 223 24 inch barrel with 1 in 9 twist. Have been thinking about some heavier bullets, maybe up to 70 or 80 grains.

Appreciate the help.

Bill

3. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Try the Winchester 55 grain silver tips or the Remington 55gr Accutip. The UMC 55 gr shoot good too. Check the thread ".223/5.56 question". Shooting Coach has alot of experience too.

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Unless you're shooting out around 600 yards, forget the 60 to 62 grainers. The 55 grainers are flatter shooting and have higher velocity until you get out to around that distance. It's at this longer range that the 24" barrel is useful to wring velocity out of the 60+ grainers. I don't think it's necessary for lighter bullets at closer ranges.<br>
    <br>
    Myself, I stick with the 55 grainers for just about everything.

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Your 1-9" twist is the best one for the Patrol Rifle. They like bullets around 55 gr to under 75 gr. The VERY light bullets are best for devastating, non penetrating wounds at under 100 yards. As you have found out, fast twists and light bullets are not a good match. And, those little bullets lose speed like an overloaded bus going uphill.

As was mentioned before, try some commercial 55 gr soft points. Winchester White box and such will likely group at or near 1 MOA, not a barn burner. Remington's Power Lokt ammo uses a match grade bullet. I hate to see you paying a buck a round for accurate ammo. How far are you wanting to shoot?

Too bad you don't load for it. The AR platform is very cheap to load for once you understand its needs.

6. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Shooting Coach is correct stick with the 55 Grain Bullets, the 223 was built around the 55 gr buller with a 1-9 twist 1-10 and 1-12 twist will work better with 40 -42 Gr Bullets, it seems that the heaverier bullets need more twist to stableize them

7. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

I seem to do very well with Federal Gold Match with a 69 gr. bullet. Less than 3/4" at 100 with 5 shots. Bulge

8. sasquach

sasquach Member

Shooting Coach, in your opinion, what is the heaviest bullet that a 1-9" twist will stabilize at .220 Swift velosities?

9. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

I shoot 60g Bergers in my Savage 1 in 9 barrel. Praire dogs just love them........Roger

10. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

my colt 1/7 shoots 55grs better than my colt 1/9,,so gues you just have 2 keep trying.everything i read says around 63gr max for the 1/9 tist rate,but as far as varments out to 200 yds or so 55gr wokr just fine in either,if you are not shooting for the million$ I would stick with 55gr.

11. sasquach

sasquach Member

Been kicking the idea around about building a long range .224 varmint-deer rifle but am not sure what twist to go with. The option of shooting 55gr. would be nice,but I have several others that will do that. I have never talked to any one who shot 55gr. in a 7" twist. Am open to suggestions.

12. Jimmy E

Jimmy E TS Member

What distance are you looking to shoot at primarily with this rifle? .223 isn't the greatest long-range round but it can work for you. I've got mine sighted at 200 yards and only shoot it to about 400 yards. Beyond that it's too slow and the bullets get bucked around by the wind. For plinking I've had fantastic results with Remington UMC 55 grainers and they are mutha-cheap to boot. That 1-9 twist barrel is a bit of an odd duck in that it will favour heavier projectiles over longer distances. My .223 is a 1-12 and just loves the 40gr. nosler ballistic tips. I get .750" at 200 with the 55gr UMC and .500" at 200 with the 40gr. noslers. Try the federal v-shock varmint loads. Very accurate factory ammo with the ballistic tips.
    Jimmy

13. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

as i stated b4 ,I put 5 rounds in2 a quarter at 100 yards iron sites with my 1/7 with 55 grain bullets,seems to shoot just fine.

14. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Bill:

I shot my new Rock River Coyote yesterday. It has a 1/9 and shot 3/8"
    with Black Hills 75 grain hollow points. It did not do as well with
    50, 52 or 55 grain bullets. Pick up an assortment of weights and see
    what the gun likes.

15. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

Bigbill are you getting ready for the revolution? I am ready! The one in nine
    twist is made for the heavy bullets 60 thru 75 grains. It will not stabilize the 40 thru 50 grain bullets. The 40 thru 50 grains need a one in twelve or a one in fourteen twist. Trust me.

Dave

16. BIGbill

BIGbill TS Member

Thanks for all the advice fellas. I know I would be better off to hand load, but I just don't have the time to do it.

Not getting ready for the revolution Bird 30,but know it is coming.
    Seems like I might have the time to shoot a few holes in a paper target now and then rather than trying to make it to a trap shoot once a year. Lord knows I miss the clay target shooting and the BSing afterwards, but my kids are worth missing the shoots for.

I'll try some heavier bullets and see how I do.

Bill Payne

17. BIGbill

BIGbill TS Member

Thanks for all the advice fellas. I know I would be better off to hand load, but I just don't have the time to do it.

Seems like I might have the time to shoot a few holes in a paper target now and then rather than trying to make it to a trap shoot once a year. Lord knows I miss the clay target shooting and the BSing afterwards, but my kids are worth missing the shoots for.

Bill Payne

18. BIGbill

BIGbill TS Member

Bill Payne

19. BIGbill

BIGbill TS Member

Bill Payne

20. BIGbill

BIGbill TS Member

Bill Payne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.