1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T 22 mag as a carry weapon

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Tugboat, Aug 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tugboat

Tugboat Member

Have heard some pro's and con's on the merits of a 22 mag as a defensive carry weapon.. Comments please..

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If you shoot someone with it you will really make them mad and they will hurt you.

.45's are much better.

HM

3. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

Better than having nothing at all but it certainly wouldn't be a caliber I'd carry......a .357 or .45 suits me just fine.

4. grammie

grammie TS Member

Speed does not make-up for mass.....

22 mag. at about 1400fps VS .45cal at about 850fps both fired at about 10ft. both with hollow points...

The 45??? It has a "body killing" effect,,,if the bullet don't get you,,,shock will!!! It dosen't deflect much off bone,,,sort of like a minnie ball,,,it destroys what it hits!!!

The 22??? Up close it can open you up like you've been saber cut,,(if hit in the right place&angle),,it can also "bounce" around inside you if deflected by bone,,,The CIA used the 22. so have others,,(hey tony,,you take care of that thing)??

In the event of civil war,,,the 22 would make a very good "attainment tool"....

As a defensive weapon as opposed to offensive??? Not so good...it will get the job done,,,after a bit!!!!

AKA Grammie.........

5. Old 870

Old 870 TS Member

If the .22 round will only piss people off, why do some snipers use it.

6. shadow

shadow Active Member

Some years ago a dear friend(and fellow trapshooter)was forced to defend himself with a .22 mag S&W. It took 5 shots to the body, but the perp now is taking an extended dirt nap.

7. C H S

C H S TS Member

<I>"If the .22 round will only piss people off, why do some snipers use it."</I>

And which snipers would that be??

Andy

8. oletymer

oletymer Member

I use one for hot weather carry. A North American arms, easy to conceal with shorts and a tee shirt. It is much better than nothing.

9. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

I would not recommend the .22 Mag. as a CCW round. You want a lot of stopping power. We live in a world where drugs can be a factor and knock down is needed. Check the foot pounds of energy for different calibers. I would not recommend anything below 9mm and surely a .45 ACP should be considered. Michael

10. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Think of it this way...ammo is cheap to obtain...firearms are less costly than a 9, 40 or 45....Now, with this in mind, can you name ONE law enforcement department or government agency that uses them? Ask any LEO and they will tell you, bigger is better. Now you have to find out out the biggest YOU can handle ACCURATELY AND QUICKLY.

I carry guns that start with a 4

11. BP348

BP348 Active Member

Andy,

The Israelis use them in their urban units.

12. C H S

C H S TS Member

<I>"The Israelis use them in their urban units."</i>

Rico,

The STAR-21 used as an urban sniper rifle is a NATO .223 and a whole lot different than a .22 mag.

Andy

13. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

Tugboat,

When you start the ages-old personal defense 7.5 vs. 8 thread, always specify whether you mean carry "on your body" or "under the seat of your truck."

I've seen this many times here...you ask what to carry...and everybody tells you what they drive around with under the seat of their truck...not necessarily always the same thing you meant.

You will find, the number of people who _tell_ you they "carry" .45s...and the number of .45s actually on people's bodies while they sit on the bleachers watching their kids play soccer...are very different things.

14. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

Personally, I would not use a .22 as a carry gun. While it may be more convenient to carry, if you need it you'll wish you had a .45

And yes, I do carry a .45

hubcap

15. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

You want to have something that will bark and have some flame to it when it goes off. If you don't hit the person then you want the blast and fire from the barrel to scare the shit out of them.

16. nelson greene

nelson greene TS Member

Tugboat:

Remember when the olympic athletes from Isreal were murdered in Munich?
    Isrealie agents hunted the perps down. Seems there were 12 of them. One agent took out 8 with a Beretta .22 by himself. I still vote for a .45 hollow point.

nelson

17. spritc

spritc Active Member

Ruger Security Six - 2 3/4" barrel .357 mag. There not hard to hide and you can't hurt them no matter what you shoot through them. I carried one for eleven years in another life and it saved my bacon multiple times. You can find them in varying conditions for $300 - $400. Forget the .22s, .25s etc. Get something that will do the job when the job needs to be done. If you're recoil sensitive .38 defensive ammo will work just fine. Always be prepared and always be safe.

Steve

18. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I am considering purchasing a .22 magnum for personal protection. (within a vehicle). As a former tactical firearms trainer, I believe the .22 caliber magnum is sufficient for very close defensive measures. I will not argue with anyone that a .22 caliber rimfire is as efficient as a 9-MM or larger caliber. What I will argue is that taking into consideration very close range defensive objectives, the .22 can and will take care of "business". Example: If a subject poses a threat to myself within a 10' radius a ,22 caliber round to the face will suffice. (Please note that the FBI records show that most "gun fights" occur within 9'). To all skeptics, a person who trains and is efficient with the .22 caliber weapon poses an effective conclusion to the immediate threat. It should be noted that practicing with a .22 caliber is economical and allows one to practice much more than a person utilizing a larger cartridge. Also, it has little if any recoil which enhances efficiency; (especially with smaller persons). Bottom line: place your head within 10' of my .22 magnum and let me know how "pi$$ed off" you are after I place a round in your nose> Ed

19. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I knew a guy that got shot in the leg with a .22 mag. It broke his femur and he was a great big guy. The best caliber is the gun you will carry. A 4 pound .45 is a wondeful thing as long as it is on you when you need it. I find that of my buddies that carry the guys with the lightest guns are more apt to be armed all the time. Jeff

20. PITB00

PITB00 TS Member

WELLLLL FOLKS....size aint always what counts. i recently bought a gun...TAURUS .22 MAG D/A REVOLVER....FOR PROTECTION!!!
    only gun i own, since my prefered weapon of choice is illegal. that being a an 18" double barrled 12 ga!!!!!!!!!!! i only need 1 or 2 shots....)))))
    i got a .22 mag revolver for a couple reasons. i live on 2 acres....and have neighbors. if i want to shoot a possom or a racoon I CAN....with out letting the world know i fired a gun. lot quiter then .38/.357/.40/.44./45....AND JUST AS DEADLY....bottom line, lead moving at a 1000 ft per sec....IS GONA DO MORE THEN PISS YOU OFF...like i see some here say.
    2ndly.....its an 8 round revolver...so i got 8 shots i can get off...just squeeze the trigger.....and point it at what you wnat to hit....AND ALL 8 WILL GO TO THE SAME PLACE......unlike a .38 & up....one shot BANG, THEN YOU GOT TO FIND THE TARGET AGAIN, BANG, THEN YOU LOOK FOR THE TARGET....if you take a .38 in the hands of a woman...tell her to pull the trigger till it dont go bang any more..and try to hit a wall 20 ft away......maybe 1 or 2 hit the wall outs 6.....see?
    and iam good enough with a handgun, this .22 mag....ill put all 8 IN THE SAME HOLE......so do the math....8x.22=.88....thats like 2 shots from a .44 hitin ya))))))))))))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.