1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T .22 Hornet

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by T/C, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T/C

T/C TS Member

OK, I have a Savage .17 HRM that is super on paper, but unless I pull off head shots on groundhogs, it won't kill Jack with either Hornady or Remington .17 grain V-max ammo. Body shots on pigs over 70 yards, they crawl off and I have to hit them again. I can't always do a head shot with their feeding head, bobbing up and down. Noise is the problem in my hunting area. I have a short bbl. .22 Mag., too loud. I also have several .223's, also too loud. What say you about noise, killing power, and accuracy, max of 150 yards with the .22 Hornet? Any ammo seem to be better that any other, may save me a bunch if testing to start off with. I'm pretty sure I'm going with another Savage, heavy bbl., single shot, just because of the accu trigger and the groups I can fire from my current .17HRM. The Savage is a hell of a gun, but .17 cal. for me, is best left to paper shooting or nothing bigger than tree rats, in my opinion. Thanks, T.

2. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Perfect gun for 150 yards or less. If you want to shorten the learning/Loading curve the answer is as follows. 35 Grain Hornady V-max bullets, Little Gun Powder and pistol primers. This should yield 1 inch or less in a CZ, even a Ruger will usually shot an inch with this combination. Jeff

3. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Great cal and a fun gun to shot.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Savage has a new gun in 22 Hornet, looks great. laminated stock, accutrigger, heavy barrel.

Model 40 Varmint, I think. (I want one.) Around 400 bucks. there are some on gunbroker.com.

If you want a little more punch, you can convert to K Hornet with a simple ream job. Hornets are quiet and cheap loading. Next step up is a Fireball, more range, still cheap shooting and not as loud as the larger ones. But then you are in a more expensive gun.

I still want the Savage Hornet.

HM

5. larryjk

larryjk Member

If you reload, use the 40 gr. Hornady V-Max and Lil'Gun. The secret to small groups(and none of the famous Hornet flyers) is to seat your bullets so they touch the rifling. I have two Hornets, a Rigby rook rifle break-open and a Ruger No.3. Either will shoot 5/8" groups using that information. You have to follow through like you are shooting a pellet rifle. Good shooting. One other thing; I moly coat the bullets.

6. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

You also have to find out if your 22 Hornet has a 223 or 224 barrel. They made two bullet sizes for the hornet.

7. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

A 22 hornet will shoot well to 250 yards. I have killed many a varmint with it at that range, but that's about as far as I'd take it. I was using an high power scope. I have killed many critters with a plain old 22lr out to 125 yards, but I don't reccommend it unless you know your gun will shoot well at that yardage, like 2", 8 shot groups. To make clean kills, you really need that brain or spinal cord shot with the 22lr, or have an explosive bullet. The hornet bullets are light and explosive. Not familiar with the 17, but I don't reccommend body shots ever unless you have a caliber that will literally explode groundhogs, like a 243 or other 6mm's. 32mag and 38 will do well on body shots though, under 30yards, and is great fun.

8. leadvail

leadvail Member

My Ruger 22 hornet is great 1 '' @100 yds .I use 35 v max , win pistol primers ,H 110 . Pistol primers are the key .

9. sxs28ga

sxs28ga TS Member

I have several 22 hornets - you'll have to see what your gun likes - most of mine love 12.4 of 296 - max load in hornady manual(may not be max now) but i always go to this load and for some reason they group - the hornet is a great cartidge - and with new bullets and powders it can shine - just remember its not a 223 - but it can preform out to 200 yds with the rite load - have fun
    j mroczka

10. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

T/C, I have a Savage heavy bbl .17HMR that is deadly. Several months ago I shot a Red Fox at about 150yds off hand (lucky shot) Instant death. Another gent that I know says he vaporizes Woodchuck hearts with his .17hmr. As for penetration, I shot at a 50 gal steel drum at about 40 yds. It had an entrance hole of .17 and the EXIT hole was about .45 I couldn't believe that little bullet went straight through. The Hornet is a great gun. I had one for a long time and killed lots of woodchucks at up to 150 yds with it. What is the weight of the pigs you are shooting? You may be undergunned for the size of the game. Larry Evans

11. 687 Trap

687 Trap Member

Some GREAT advice from SuperXJeff and larryjk. I too have a CZ in Hornet and both of these guys are right on. The Hornet is a great shooter out to 200 or 250 depending on the game. I get 1/2 inch groups. Pistol primers are the key and setting the bullet out on the rifling. I would do that even if it means using the rifle as a single shot. This combo will run circles arount a 17.

Have fun

Ron

12. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

My father in law got the upper hand on 4 coyotes about a week ago as they were crossing the pasture. He was able to shoot two and then turned on his electric caller and 5 minutes later one of the others came back and he shot it. These were shot with a marlin 17 HMR. He shot them in the vitals( behind the shoulder) one of them went down screaming and kicking but then popped up and ran for the timber. All 3 dogs have been found Via the buzzard method. One went 200 yards and the other two went about 100 yards each. Now... If it had been me I would have used more gun. The 17 did work but it was far from pretty. Jeff

13. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I was going to say the same thing about the noise. My Model 70 Hornet is much louder than my Model 61 22 mag or the Marlin 17HMR.

14. shaner

shaner Member

i bought one of the savage model 40 last year ,ive always been a hornet fan, for me its always been the best varmint round for me here in ohio , 100 -250 yd shots , and cheap to relaod for , the savage is a very accurate firearm for sure , i have a NEF handi in 22hornet also , cant complain one bit on either , i used to have a couple 340 savage but i sold them after i got these two shooting MOA at 100yd +

15. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

T/C try a box of Hornady HMR they have a 20gr XTP that is a LOT better than the 17grs the 100yd groups will surprize you dont have the wind drift the 17s have ricks1

16. shaner

shaner Member

i sure am , the trigger is greatthe adjustable deal, i dont mind a single shot bolt in the least, as yu know usually afterthe first shot hes ducked for a while , theyheavy barrel is nice, the stock was made for bench or bag shootin nice flat forearm helps, i think you will like it and the cost is affordable, piked mine up used for 300 so no complains here

17. dfm

dfm Member

I've had a variety of Hornets over the past 30 years. My current favorite is a Browning A-Bolt. It'll shoot 3/4" groups all day long (and a lot of times smaller) if I follow these few basic reloading rules:

1.) Load it hot but not too hot. Backing off a 1/2 grain from max data will extended case life and usually increase accuracy.

2.) Use small pistol primers. Find one that gives you the accuracy and complete burn you're looking for.

3.) Use a Lee Collet (neck sizer) die set. That one fact alone will increase case life dramatically and allow loaded rounds to enter the chamber more centered.

4.) Use Hornady 35grn. V-max slugs over a quantity of WW296. Somewhere between those two you'll find a combo any Hornet will like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.