1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T .22 Cal. Target Rifle

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Charlie Leavitt, Nov 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlie Leavitt

Charlie Leavitt TS Member

My original shooting sport was small bore rifle and it may be the only area where I have some talent. I am interested in aquiring a good, entry level .22 target rifle. I'd like something equal to a Winchester Model 52. I'd like to be able to try small bore target shooting again without investing thousands of dollars. Any ideas?
    Thank you, in advance for your replies.
    Charlie

2. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

Charlie - I have an Anschutz 1811 prone gun and an Anschutz 1911 prone gun that I would part with either - the 1811 is older but great - the 1911 has been shot less that a brick of ammo - if interested email me -

3. Charlie Leavitt

Maybe I'm mixing politics with riflery but I'd prefer and American made .22 target rifle.

4. kolar12

kolar12 Member

KImber made a nice rifle. Actyally, I beleive it was made for the government. They are a nice entry level position rifle. Do not know the model. Maybe you could check Guns America.

5. sxs28ga

sxs28ga TS Member

Look at Thompson Centers Target 22 - Extremely accurate rite out of the box with any ammo - My does under an inch at 100 yds - shot a woodchuck with it at 120 yds - cant go wrong - J Mroczka

6. xcollector

xcollector TS Member

Charlie,

I shot smallbore for 16 years and just recently had to stop. If you really want to get into it I would suggest that you look for a more modern design than the 52. I own one and it shoots great....but it is very barrel heavy. My gun will lay X after X but it is work. Mine sports a fiberglass prone stock, and a canjar LP trigger, and Anschutz sights. By the time you spend the money "modernizing" the gun you could get an anchutz/walther/FWB. If you are an American gun only guy....that is the way to go. My main gun was a Walther GX-1, but I now shoot an Anschutz 1907 action in a Stopper Aluminum stock. The advancements in stocks since 1997 has just rocketed away from the older wooden design (not to say wood is bad but you can adjust everything on the new stocks). That being said....if you are looking to shoot prone an 1811/1911 would be perfect. They accept all modern anschutz sights and accessories. The 54 action and trigger are great and you can do anything you want with it. The round actions are adaptable to all the modern AL stocks, so if you get hooked you can go as far as you want. Just make sure that the gun you buy will shoot X's. If your gun ammo choice won't shoot where you are aiming (over and over and over again)...you'll get frustrated very quickly.

Email/PM me if you have any questions.

Doug

7. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Savage 93 with accu-trigger. Pretty darn hard to beat.

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

52s are often available as are anchutz rifles on the used market- sometimes a dealer- forget his name- Scott is in the name somewhere though- gets many at a time--

just be patient and you can find what you want and at the price you want to pay

I have a cooper TRP 22-- that was one of the few made and have had a win 52 and several anchutz rifles

all are good

regards from Iowa

Gene

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Kimber, Winchester 52's are still around if you look hard enough...even Remington 40x...

10. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

My Savage 93 Mako with the Accu-trigger is a consistent sub-MOA shooter. A bargain at $339! My Clerke barreled, Boyd stocked Ruger 10/22 with Volquartsen trigger is even better; all for less than $500!

AndyH

11. xcollector

xcollector TS Member

A semi auto is not legal for what charlie is asking about. A sporter rifle would not be appropriate for charlie's needs. Unless I am mistaken Charlie is looking to shoot ISU/NRA Smallbore events.

I saw one of those Coopers at Camp Perry in 93 I think...that was a nice gun. I always wondered where they went....too bad I was a poor 17 year old.

Doug

12. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Look at the Remington 504's also The CZ452 American, very accurate rifles.

13. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

Check out a H&R Model 12, CMP sold them a while back with great sights, it is as close as you can get to a M52...Grubby

14. Charlie Leavitt

Doug is correct. I would like to be able to shoot ISU/NRA events. When Kimber is mentioned I assume that the respondents mean Kimber - Oregon, not the current Kimber from Yonkers, New York. Is that correct?
    Thanks to all who responded.
    Charlie

15. wm rike

wm rike Member

Most of what I have to say is said above.

Smallbore is a game of precision and if you want to shoot compotent smallbore the easiest means to an end is an Anschutz. Un-American? It's the world standard and what the AMU uses, if they count as American.

I don't discount the notion of a 52 or similar, it's just that you're going to work harder to find a good one and then match it to good ammunition than you would the Anschutz route. A lot of the 52s out there are pretty tired by now, many having been used in training programs or otherwise beat up (which I don't understand for the life of me). And a good one begins to attract collector bucks. As I think about it, the 52s that I know of that can be shot competitively have all had major component replacements (barrels, triggers, stocks). By comparison, most of the used Anschutz guns I see are in good to excellent condition, have outstanding triggers and excellent barrels right out of the box. And accessories can be stuck on an Anschutz like they can on a Ruger 10-22. I suspect that the cost of getting either gun up and running right will end up being about the same.

16. xcollector

xcollector TS Member

You are 100% correct. The miles on most 52, 37, and 40x's are really high. I figure I have over 400,000 rounds through my walther and at 50 meters it is suspect (I don't think I could compete with it without a barrel change). Plus you are getting an out of date trigger (the american triggers are good) but when you are talking about most triggers being 2 stages in the 6 oz range the older guns leave a lot to be desired (yes they make that much of a diff). The stock designs are out of date, and the sights are good but most sights made now are a minimum of 1/16. You leave a lot on the table in the terms of accessories too (adj front and rear appetures, handstops etc.). Does everyone need that....nope....but that is the level smallbore is at these days. For 3p comp you can't be competitive with an original gun form the 50's (you can have a ton of fun no doubt). For serious competition I would not think of shooting a gun that i could not get a sub 8mm group out of at 50 meters. I have had personal friends at the last 3 olympics I can tell you first hand that they would not shoot anything but anschutz (I can't think of any member of the AMU that shoots a non Anshutz .22).

I have a pretty wicked custom 10-22 myself...but it won't hold up to my Walther or Anschutz...no way.

After all my babbling I hope Charlie gets the American guns he wants, and has all the fun in the world shooting it. That is #1. Buy some good ammo, and have a ball. I know tons of guys that shoot that way and it is all about getting what you want and enjoying it. I have a buddy who has an old 52 and a Ray Morgan that he had custom stocks made to match and has pictures in his wallet (looks like he went to a pro photographer to get them done) like they are his kids. Enjoy!

Doug

17. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Don't overlook the Ruger M-7722 in the varmint/target model. American made, with one heck of a warranty. I have two, and they both shoot one-hole groups at 75 feet, and half-inch groups at 100 yards. I do my own triggers, but you can get some very good after-market quick install replacements. You can put yourself into a new one, well within the money you're looking to spend.

Kip

18. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Many years ago I was a .22 target shooter. I shot a Win. Model 52 for years and then won the Jr. National Championship (and a few others) with a Rem. 40X. It had the very best trigger I ever felt. I had it tricked out with a Parker-Hale 1/8th minute click receiver sight. I sold the gun and have been searching for it or one like it in Shotgun News and other gun papers for years. If you can find one buy it or call me and I will!

19. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Get thee to the ODCMP web site., that is the Ofice of the Civilian marksmanship Program. They have 'new' Kimber target 22's and now and then Mossbergs.

20. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

ODCMP Kimber 22's are way overrated, I had one. If your going to spend $600 then spend a little more and get a Remington 40X. The best bang for the buck is the H&R mod. 12.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

anschutz 1811