1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T .22 auto pistol.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by johnboy, Dec 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnboy

johnboy Member

Planning on buying .22 auto for plinking, considering a Ruger or the Browning Buckmark. Any recommendations?

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I found the Ruger to be way more complicated than necessary. I have no experience with the Browning. There's nothing wrong with a nice .22 cal. revolver....Bob Dodd

3. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Browning Challenger. Try to get your hands on a Challenger II. You can still find them in 98% condition for $300.00 - $325.00. GL

AJ100

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

go stainless- why not?

Ruger and browing both make good guns- and have lots of selection- I think it might be slighty easier to get a ruger with a good trigger (one that can be tuned) than a browing

PS you might want to consider a used 2206 Smith and Wesson- ( I think I have that model right) it was a less expensive stainless one

regards from Iowa

Gene

5. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

I have a very nice AMT Lightning which is an all stainless copy of the Ruger with a bull barrel and Millet target sights for $300 plus shipping and insurance to your FFl.

<center>
    [​IMG]<br><br>
    </center>

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have the Ruger Mark III hunter with 7" fluted barrel. Although a bit tough to breakdown and assemble the first few times. Just follow the directions and its really not that bad. I paid 379.00 for that price it shoots great. My wife shoots pistol better than me, off hand she pounds the small steel spinner targets at 50 yards. Trigger I would say is good. Smooth quick break. Im sure it could be better. Now I had a Smith and Wesson model 41 target pistol. This gun was very nice, but also picky on ammo. I sold for close to what I paid to buy my current carry piece. I have not seen any brownings for some time. There are many options. Maybe a price range could help narrow your choices. My friend has a custom Pardini??? not sure of the spelling its way to fancy has a strange wrap around t<a href="http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t196/jrm7800/?action=view&current=258L.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>he wrist grip thing with some really over technical sights on it, several thousands i think he spent. There are many ruger mark series out there.

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My preference is for the S&W Model 41, but that's a full blown target pistol, not a plinker.

If you like 1811's, take a look at the Ruger 2245. It's got a grip frame and controls that emulate the 1911 pretty well.

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Brian great gun the model 41, kinda wish I never sold it. For me One usually has to go to get another. At that time it was the 41 that went. PS I know several walther P22 owners, not to happy with them. Im not sure but I think AMT put out a 22magnum revolver?

9. trap906

trap906 Member

I've owned and used 3 buckmarks and a couple of rugers, browning a way better gun for accuracy, and especially ease of cleaning.. buy the buckmark!!

10. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I've had a Ruger 2245 w/ bull barrel for over 10 years now. My kid will put a brick of ammo through it in a session at the range and it never missed a lick. I'm not a big fan of cleaning 22's, wipe them down and put them away. I bet my Ruger has had a couple of 1000 rounds through it before I stripped it down for a good cleaning.
    Follow the directions and it comes apart and goes back together pretty easy.
    It's been around forever and just a darn go little auto.

11. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I have both and they are both great shooters. The Buckmark is MUCH easier to clean and when you do get a jammed round or stuck empty case sideways, the Browning is much easier to clear it. Buy both !!! The Ruger MK III is much nicer than the MK II's due to the magazine release inprovement. Also on my MK III, I was forced to take out the loaded chamber indicator to make functioning better.

12. almost unemployed

almost unemployed TS Member

I think everyone should own a Ruger, just because. However, the 22A from S&W is a great plinker as well. Lots of models to choose from.

13. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Get a 1911 Colt 45 ACP with the factory Colt .22 conversion kit...or if you can't find that, get a Smith Model 41 and never look back.

14. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I own a couple of each and find the Browning Buckmark Camper bull to be the most accurate pistol I have ever had and I have owned quite a few. My daughter shot the Ruger's very well and hasn't tried one of the Brownings but I'll bet she will be really good with it. Jackie B.

15. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I also love my Smith 41, It's the only pisol ive ever shot that has rifle like accuracy at short range. It is a target pistol but not too big for plinking.

16. Dynokick189

Dynokick189 TS Member

Bought a Ruger MkIII in 22/45 w/bull barrel. Added a Hogue "hand all" for better control and put one of the Volquartson muzzle brakes on it. Topped off w/a cheap red-dot (the pistol comes w/a Weaver style rail - nice touch) and sighted in w/ Winchester T-22. Great, cheap combo and accurate w/that ammo.

My eyes aren't that good anymore so I have to have pistols w/optic sight capabilities. This rules out the fabulour Model 41 and some great High Standards - shame to drill and tap these old classics.

Buy bunches of cheap 22 ammo for plinking and practice, but also spend time to see which ammo any pistol likes best for accuracy. BTW my MK II target shoots Remington Target best (but too pricey for plinking).

Like anything else, shoot a lot and have fun!!!

Merry Christmas,
    Mike

17. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

You really can't go wrong with either of them. I have had them both and I will say that the Browning is easier to clean but it isn't more or less accurate then the Rugers It really is a Blond/Brunette question.Jeff

18. missemucho

missemucho Member

I've had both, and vote for the Browning. Much simpler to dissemble and usually cheaper to buy initially.
    John

19. Wayne of PA

Wayne of PA Member

I recommend the Beretta Neos. It’s a great gun for buck.

Dale,

20. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

browning hands down,cant beat the price,and ease of cleaning,ruger is a nice gun,but a p.i.t.a. to take apart & re assemble for cleaning,mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.