1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T 2008 Powerstroke diesel

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ButchB, Sep 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ButchB

ButchB TS Member

Has anyone bought a 2008 Ford Super duty with the 6.4 Powerstroke? I am looking at a F250 Crew Cab 4x4, but have no knowledge of the new engine. I own a 97 f250 with the 7.3 and it's been a great truck. Any input?
    Thanks Butch

2. glasman

glasman TS Member

Go with the Duramax!!

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

it isnt even in the same category as the chevy/gmc duramax or the cummins

Gene

4. TF

TF Active Member

I'm the original owner of a '95 powerstroke supercab. Haven't had a truck payment in nine years. I have done most all of the recommended maintainance, generally myself. Put a water pump on at six years and a needed a lift pump this past spring. I don't put big miles on it (currently 150,000), but I pull a 30ft travel trailer a big portion of those miles. Honestly looks and drives very close to new. When I needed the lift pump my wife suggested a new truck. We went and test drove all three and I liked the Ford the best. The Ford salesman, who is a fishing buddy, asked why I wanted to trade and my wife told him about the pump and he told us the repair would be about one truck payment and although the '07 has a little more power we would hate the fuel economy and filters for fuel and oil would be substantially more expensive. He was being a friend instead of a salesman which I really appreciated. While we were talking, two customers asked another salesman to hold my truck because they would buy it on the spot. Point is that if you like what you have and don't just have to drive a new one, keep what you have and use your payment money to keep fuel in it.

Tom

5. fordtech

fordtech TS Member

I am a diesel mechanic at a large Ford dealer.So far the 6.4l powerstroke is ok.ive personaly seen three out of several sold on our lot with oil leaks.All of three of them was the same problem,a oring on the dipstick tube damaged during assembly.The only other problems seen have been recall for #1#5#7 fuel injectors.Also there was a recall for a recalibration of pcm.But all in all these are a very strong perfoming engine,and a very quite running engine.at idle in cab cant hardly tell its running.The basic truck is very solid good ride and drives great.I feel its as good as any manufactures out there.The only draw back is in 2010 they are replacing the navistar engine.Ive been told by higher ups at Ford Motor Company that this is going to be a Ford designed engine.Several rumors say it is a Volvo design and revamped by Ford,which owns Volvo.Time will tell.Also next year the F150 is getting a v8 diesel made by Range Rover,which is owned by Ford.But i personaly miss the good old 7.3s. Don

6. Mdl1261

Mdl1261 Member

i drive trucks for dealers to dealers .I just drove an 08 p/stroke 350 Wow what a truck.I drove it from Chattanoga Tn to milwaukee wi .I got an honest 26 miles to the gallon when I first started out, second tank 28mpg with air on all the time. I'd get one in a second if I was in the market.

7. ec90t

ec90t Guest

mdl1261,

Was the miliage figures the ones being displayed, or by doing the math.I've never heard of a Ford diesel getting anything close to that.

ec90t

8. joshif

joshif TS Member

I have a 97 250hd powerstroke 190k miles and have the scmt tuner tuned to safe tow and get 19.4 in the summer with 4.10 gears.It runs like a raped ape. I have 2 higher tunings and tried them both, I don't need all that power.Never had a car with that much guts. I'm talking a 68 Camaro w/302 Z28 motor and 4.56 gears w/m20 4 spd. and a 65 Impala that did mid 13's with a 406 sm block and 3.31 gears w/turbo 350 and no stall speed.The Impala did 0-60 in 4.5 sec. in low gear! No lie! These kids today couldn't handle a REAL car like a 70 SS 454 Chevelle or a Hemi Cuda,Yenko, etc! 4 banger rice rockets, CRAP, Let one of those punks behind the wheel of a rear wheeled car let go of the clutch on 450+ hp and lets see who don't have skid marks in their skivvies!!!!!

9. 8 1/2 shot

8 1/2 shot TS Member

Just test drove an 08 Ford the other day, and a Dodge , and a Chev. The Ford had the most turbo lag, by far, same as my 05 6.0. Which I had for a loong 5 months. Just a little scared of the Ford as my experience was terrible with a new 05, blew xmsm, wouldn't pull etc. I felt that the Dodge was a little dated, though ran well and had the least lag of the three. Bought the D Max, on order, it seemed to be the best of the three and my experience with many new GM's is all good. Check out "The Diesel Place" forum and you can quickly get an idea of owner satisfaction with the D Max. Check out the Ford forum and you will quickly get an idea of why informed persons are not buying them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.