1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O.K. to use well pipe as ground?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by slipping into darkness, Apr 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

> new cable company wants to use well pipe for ground before bring line into house! The problem I have with this is the old company had 3 lighting hits in 20 years and each one took out the answering equipment and blew the electric plug socket right out of the wall. don't want lighting hit taking out well pump. is that a possibility? or can I get a written statement from the installer they will be responsible for any and all damages from a lighting strike.

2. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Use proper grounds/grounding according to code.

3. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Good question SID. I always thought the well casing was a good ground. Why not a seperate grounding rod driven into the ground near their POI.

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

You should be able to pick up a grounding rod at Home Depot or Lowes...

http://www.lowes.com/pd_70860-28781-70860_0__?productId=3446270&Ntt=grounding+rod&pl=1┬ĄtURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dgrounding%2Brod&facetInfo=

Eight foot copper coated rod you drive into the ground - about $11.

-

Your issue isn't if the well casing is a good ground or not (it is), but what will happen in a lightening strike.

A strike will be carried to earth through the grounding wire - where it will dissipate. This dissipation can cover a vast area.

Problem - If the wires for your pump are there they may take a good shot of power - either frying the pump or the wires themselves, or both - If the wires go how do you pull the now useless pump out of the well (chances are the plastic water pipe will melt too)? Also, there is a risk that it could back-feed into the main pannel as well.

Just NOT a good idea.

Drive a new rod into the ground and place it as far from the well casing as you can comfortably do

5. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Get a dedicated ground rod and be done with it.

6. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

Thanks all for the response, will inform company to install there own ground or to supply written guaranty they will cover cost of any and all damages to well.

7. Straight99

Straight99 Member

I have lived in the same house for the past 30 years. For the first 20 years I would burn out something electrical every other year from lighting. I ran extra grounds rods and have 4 without any help. About 10 years ago I ran a #6 wire from my well casing to the fuse box. I have not had one thing burn out since then. The local power company recomended the well casing ground.

8. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I am a retired electrical contractor: A well pipe is a very good grounding mechanism--the most important thing is how the wire is attached to the pipe--get an approved lug & have it welded to the casing.

PHIL BERKOWITZ

9. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Your well casing , or water pipe from a water service is to be connected to a proper ground. It's done that way in case the water line were to become energized.

An isolated well may provide an adequate ground, if there is nothing remotely close to it, but to use a well or water pipe in an area that has been developed is suicide. Therefore the answer would be no, a well casing is not a proper ground, the incoming "waterline" must be connected,"bonded", to a proper ground.

10. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Question: How do you ground a pvc water line? Ron

I was thinking like rosies dad a few posts below.

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

LOL, I want to hear the answer to that one also

12. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Gun1357, I don't think you do.

13. 221

You don't,,,,,pretty hard to energize plastic. Somewhere in your building it should make a metallic connection, that's where you should bond to ground. Water meter in basement, etc,etc,

14. quartering

quartering Active Member

the well bore is lined with steel pipe to keep the walls from collapsing. a submersible well pump is then inserted into the well and water is pumped out through a flexible plastic pipe attached to the pump. the steel liner pipe is the ground, not the plastic water pipe. anyway, isn't it interesting that the same grounding rod on your 220 volt home system is the same one they use on a 220 million volt lightening rod system? also, the reason why a grounding rod is 10 feet long is so it's sure to get into moist soil: dry soil is not a ground! a well pipe is probably an excellent ground but i can see how it might void the warranty on your well pump. good luck with it

15. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Properly linked, a well casing should be the ultimate ground - unless you just like spending a whole bunch of money......

Mike

16. rosies dad

rosies dad Member

Retired from Phone Co after 32.5 yrs. Up till I retired in 03, we were to bond our (network interface) ground with the Electrical Ground. (at that time per NEC) Water ground wasnt accepted anymore because of the constant changing of customer pipe and conversion to Plastic home pipe/plastic well pipe. Gas pipe was never legal to ground to.
    A seperate ground rod is a joke, bonding everyone to the same (potential-electrical ground grid) is the best. (telco, cable, electrical) We also had a minimum size of Nr 10,with our own connectors.

17. 221

For the most of the country...the USA that is...there is no such thing as an "Electrical ground", per se.... IE..a ground supplied with your service....nope. Your service only has current conductors and a neutral...NO ground. Your ground is individual to your home, business, farm , whatever. There may be some isolated contradictions to this but there is no ground grid. Thinking there is can get you killed.

18. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

SID and all:

The wires installed by an electric utility (those connecting someone's home to the utility's system) include a neutral. Some people consider neutral conductors to have zero voltage potential. That is NOT correct. A neutral may be energized at any voltage from zero to the full potential of the other conductors. Neutrals should ALWAYS be handled as if they are fully energized because sometimes they are.

A utility company's distribution system has driven ground rods (copper clad steel rods) at the base of most - if not all their poles. The utility's neutral conductors, transformer cases, lightning arrestors, fused disconnects and various other pole mounted distribution hardware is connected to those ground rods via "pole ground" conductors.

Utilities also have extensive grounding grids under their substations. The bigger the sub, the bigger and more complex the grounding grid gets. But I digress...

If properly installed, a customer's service entrance includes a driven ground rod at the metering point. The homeowner's meter enclosure and metal conduits are bonded to it. So is the breaker box and neutral conductors of the homeowner's internal wiring.

IMO, properly installed ground rods are the only way to go.

As an aside... When lightning strikes, anything can happen. The only thing predictable about a lightning strike is that the results probably won't be good. Btw, lightning rods installed at the top of buildings and other tall structures are connected to (you guessed it) driven ground rods.

sissy

ir

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

221, you need to go inside your electrical panel.

You will see the neutrals are all connected to the "neutral bus", and the stranded copper from the ground rod outside is also connected there.

If you had a floating neutral you might get a nasty surprise in the shower one day.

At least a dozen GI's in Iraq were electrocuted by faulty wiring when power washing vehicles or showering.

Mashy linky

HM

20. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

HM, 221 in now the resident expert, he knows all about all

Actually he's the biggest phoney I have ever seen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.