1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O.K., one more dog related thread

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xringjim, Feb 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

I've been thinking about getting a chocolate lab for a long time. What do the rest of you think? Do these dogs have any 'quirks' I should know about first? Thanks, Jim Price

2. 700X-user

700X-user Member

Labs are great dogs but they can sometimes be too smart for their own britches. They know what they can get away with and they seem to keep pushing the envelope. They know how to use their sad puppy dog eyes to get you to do just about anything. They love to swim, they love to romp in the woods and most of all they love to ride in the back of the pickup truck. Our dog is not a hunter he is just our houseguest, at least that is the way the wife treats him. Our chocolate lab "Hershey" has provided us with a lot of laughs over the years 13+. He is a 86 lb lapdog! The best thing you can do is provide them with a lot of room to run and lots of exercise. Remember! Don't look them straight in the eyes that is how they hypnotize you. Take me for a walk! Give me a treat! Let's go for a ride! You become their slaves and you love ever minute of it!

Ed

3. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

86 Pounds!? I'm going to have to plant more grass. Jim

4. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

The chocolates are more prone to some genetic problems than the yellows or blacks. Excercise induced collapse or whatever that is called, also a lot of epilepsy. A friend of mine has nothing but Chocolate Labs and knows MUCH about them and she has taught me all this stuff.

5. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

My chocolate lab is the most loyal dog I've ever owned. He's never run away. Is the greatest shotgun riding dog I've ever had. He was my wife's dog before I met her. The only time he isn't 5 feet from me is when I'm shooting something. Gun shy something fierce but that came from lack of exposure. He only hunts the food dish.

Go and get one, you will not be dissapointed.

6. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Nice looking dog Mike

I dont think Chocs are more prone to anything than blacks or yellows-

There are less Chocs around and therefore one could surmise less genetic problems- and I do think that is correct but dont have data for that.

I will say it all goes to bloodlines

Why get a dog from parents that have not both had their hips and eyes and elbows certified / passed? There is no good reason

Second- why get a dog from parents that you havent seen ? no good reason

Third- why get a dog from parents that dont fit your desires for behavior - no good reason

Fourth -- why get a dog from parents that are not both about the same size? that will give you more predictability as far as hip health (assumming above that parents have good hips) and that your pup will end up in the same size range

Fifth- why get a dog that isnt going to be about the size you prefer? I prefer 55-65 pound ones that eat about half of what 85 pound ones eat and poop about 1/3

If you follow 1-5 and get Dolkens book on lab training ( most if it relates to puppys) you will be very happy with the outcome

Miss one of the above-- it could be very bad

regards from Iowa

Gene

8. krakadawn

krakadawn TS Member

Regardless of colour and I have my own preferences be sure to get the following clearances on parents:
    -hips,elbows and eyes
    -EIC(exercise induced collapse)
    -cnm(myopathy)
    Breeder should gurantee pups for 26 months as you can't get some of these clearances prior to 24 months.
    If you are looking for a hunting dog then avoid pedigrees where parentage is 'show' stock. The prefix "CH" denotes show champion. What you should be looking for are FC and FTCH or even NFTCH and NAFTCH. These are the field titles that will likely get you the type of dog you want.
    Currently the better breeding exists with blacks and yellows as a general statement but alot has to do with your part in training.
    Good Luck!
    Jim

9. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

[​IMG]

You might consider a Minnie Chocolate. LOL

10. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

My Chocolate lived to be 12 she was a fantastic friend, hunting partner, and family member. She became diabetic at 8 and took insulin shots twice a day, she was so good and new (we think ) that ths shots were good for her. In the morning and evening at the exact time she would sit near the fridge and wait for her shoot. At 10 she went blind and deaf but never missed a beat, I miss her9 (passed at 12 yrs old) like the three blk's that were friends before her. Yes they are fun loving, and need plenty of love and from time to time get in trouble but they offer love every moment of the day. A smarter animal there isn't; nor a breed that is more faithful. My new girl is now 2 a Yellow that is every bit a smart and loving as the chocolate was and just as big at 85 lbs. When she takes off running it's a blurr of yellow fur! She love's life and being with the family.

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

SirMIssalot...you must have gotten scolded alot by your mom for eating your candy before your dinner weinies

As far as labs...they are all great...but the old saying still goes " Once you go Black you never go back"

12. whosyourdaddy

whosyourdaddy Member

I would love to know what that mini-chocolate would say if he could talk. Shame on you Calvin!!! lol

13. larryjk

larryjk Member

Seven Labs later I can tell you if you want a faithful companion, and have children, you can't do better than a Lab. It will really bond with children and anyone that messes with them while the dog is around learns not to do that again. My son is now the Lab man and has three little people to watch the dog. His wife wasn't so sure about "Luke", but now says she would never have believed how he stays with the kids. If the doorbell rings, he is ahead of her and checks out every one before they are allowed in the house. Good dog.

14. gamehog2

gamehog2 TS Member

Jim,

Check out the attached website. These are the best dogs around and the most reputable breeder I have ever met. She guarantees everything and will take a dog back and refund your money if you are not happy. When we bought our dogs she had approximately 85 puppies and I only had one to chose from. The rest were sold to people all over the country. The adult dogs have a 5000 sq.ft. heated and air conditioned kennel and she has her own vet clinic.

This is a lady that lives to raise dogs.

When we got our first dog, I asked to see the parents and she knew exactly which 2 dogs were the parents without looking it up.

She also has a 4th color of dog she calls the Fox Red (that is what Chip was).

You can send me an email if you have any specific questions.

Darrel

15. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

CalvinMD, I got my Chocolate after having had 2 blacks, and now as stated I have a geat Yellow pal. Each and everyone has had a distinct peronsality, they have all wanted to love and be loved. Of all my labs, my black female (first) was the most egar to please, and most stubborn, but having all three I can't pick one over the other. As for the saying"once you go black" remember their all the same color on the inside!

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I have always liked the appearance of the yellow dogs better but those chocolates are pretty cool too. DOn't over think it, just go with your heart. I don't think you can go wrong with this breed.

17. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Gamehog, will do. I live in the S.F area. So a drive over to the kennel from Tahoe would be a nice side trip. I'll be going up there soon. Jim

18. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

[​IMG]

You will not go wrong with any Labrador retriever. I had a black lab, a chocolate lab (had to put the chocolate down after 14 years), I how have a yellow lab, meet Lacey.

Frank

19. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Pullbang, great looking dog from what I can see. Jim

20. gamehog2

gamehog2 TS Member

Jim,

If you do drive over there you I think you will be very impressed not only with the facility but also with Sally Kelley (the owner). I am not sure I have met a more knowledgeable dog owner. If you decide to get one of her dogs I KNOW you will be happy. The 2 I had were the most intelligent, best personality, and best temperament of any dogs I have ever owned.

Darrel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.