1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O.K., first off, don't go saying I'm full of s....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xringjim, Oct 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

O.K., first off, don

One of the fellas out at my gun range challenged me to shoot a round together as fast as we could. When I say as fast as we could, I mean, once you called a bird until you hit it. Now, I believe the man I was shooting against missed one bird less than I in our 1st round. But, I really outshot him time wise between birds, ( stop clock wise). What this action did was to reignite my cat like pounce type shooting. You see, I was becoming complacent. You know, if we were to turn our view back to being a shooter as a kid. And what it would be that we'd challenge during that time of adolesence that we'd remember. We'd have played a game as fast as we could. And as it should be for those of us that wish to improve trapshooting. Push your limits and you'll 'push' the other guys! Jim

2. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Jim:
    I really don't know how shooting as fast as you possibly can shoot will really help your shooting. Now if your just playing a game I understand your just having some fun, but trapshooting is timing. I recently shot with a young man that would alter the speed that he would take his shots. All he did was mess up the squad but good. Over the years I have shot trap with some very fast shooters. It looks impressive when they are on, but it doesn't take long before they let a target slip away due to the excessive speed that they take their targets out of the house. Let your pattern work for you and try to break each target with the same speed that is comfortable to you. The name of the game is breaking your targets one at a time, not breaking them as fast as you can. Almost every shooter that I have shot with that shoots extremely fast tells me that they wish they could slow down a bit. Good luck to you.
    Steve Balistreri

3. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Steve, it's not a matter of shooting fast. It's a matter of shooting agressively. I was becoming one of those guys happy to shoot a 94 in singles or handicap. Not any more. I'm going hard after all my birds. Intensity, focus, and a reassured faith in sighting. I'm either in this game or not. Jim

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

When I first started trap shooting, I was on a squad with a shooter who really shot fast.

He would just pulverize those birds as they came out of the house. He was really impressive.

However, when we were done, I noticed that although I shot a litte slower, I had the higher score.

So shooting fast doesn't count as much as shooting and breaking the birds.

Hauxfan!

5. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

Steve; Some people shoot faster to give bad habits less time to set in.It works for some but not all.When I start lifting my head off the gun or going back to the sites I start shooting faster and it works well until I start pushing the gun instead off swinging it as I should.I also think if you can shoot faster the wind and background and light changes will not effect you as much.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

I agree with Jim. Shooting aggressively is good and this results in shooting rather fast. Shooting too slow means you are chasing the targets with your gun. Shooting aggressively means you are moving the gun with the target.

There are times when we are shooting well but something happens and one bird slips away. We become upset and our aggression level goes way up. The next bird does not have a chance.

Pat Ireland

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I have to force myself to slow down. Speed is great to a point. Then one tends to shoot over straight aways, and not leading enough on angles. I think I loose my smoothness and timing when I become to aggressive.

8. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

The faster you shoot the bird the closer to the trap house you miss it.

9. wopahoe

wopahoe Member

I'm not fast and I'm not slow, I'm kinda half fast!!!!!!!!!!! RON

10. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

You're full of $hit.

11. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

When I was in my teens I thought I was slow, but in reality I was pretty fast. I remember asking myself, these birds are really slow. I don't see why these old farts can't hit them. Well now I'm an old fart and the birds are to damn fast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.