1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NYC Pistol License

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Brooklyn Gunner, Dec 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brooklyn Gunner

Brooklyn Gunner TS Member

I have an interview coming up for a NYC pistol license (residence/target). Any advice on how to prepare for it or what it involves?

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Enlighten us on what the current requirements and procedures are, please.

3. shadow

shadow Active Member

Good Luck---You will need a bunch of it !

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Tell them about the extensive training you've had in the safe handling of firearms and the safe that you will keep the gun locked up in. HMB

5. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

Good Luck!! or As we say it in Show Business (Break A Leg)!!!

Rich.(inPeoria,A.Z.)

6. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

I was told when I took my conceal and carry, that they dont allow or it's damn near impossible to get a cnc in NY unless your job requires it, same with chicago. Maybe they are wising up.

7. tomk2

tomk2 Member

I don't think he is applying for a permit to carry concealed. I think he is applying for the privilege of simply owning one for inside his home, and taking it to the range periodically.

I remember when New York City folk would travel out on Long Island, and were flabbergasted when they learned that it was legal to just walk into a store and buy a rifle, shotgun, or handgun. That was some 30 years ago, and I don't think it has changed much.

8. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

You may want to have a talk with these guys.

Bay Ridge Rod & Gun Club Inc.

6716 Fort Hamilton Parkway

Brooklyn, New York 11219-5846

http://www.gunsports.com/

9. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I have been told by people who have one that your NEED trumps all else.

10. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Wear a "Hillary in '08" tee shirt :)

11. 682LINY

682LINY Member

as far as I know there are less than 2000 CCW permits in NYC at this time,City of 8 million,,others are resadince /target and retired LE,,,,Imus and H.Stern have CCW,,,so do many of the anti gun Libarals in the city,,,they realy dont want the full list of CCW permit holders to be known,,,if you need someone with a gun,,,,hire retired LE,,,,thats what we do,,,,they follow high risk loads in unmarked trucks in private cars,,,,our drivers are not armed,,,,,on the other hand our armored trucks carry three men with guns and most of the time no cash

12. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Years ago when I lived in NYC I had to have a permit just to keep a hand gun in my home. Took 6mos of paper work and then I had to go before a judge to receive it.

13. Brooklyn Gunner

Brooklyn Gunner TS Member

thanks to everyone for your responses.

"Enlighten us on what the current requirements and procedures are, please."

about $500, much paperwork (must be typed up on a typewriter!), fingerprints, multiple reference letters (including one from spouse giving you permission), interview and months and months of waiting.

"they dont allow or it's damn near impossible to get a cnc in NY"

i'm only trying to get a residence/target permit

"Tell them about the extensive training you've had in the safe handling of firearms"

they'll be sure to catch me in a lie. i have a rifle/shotgun license, but no experience with handguns. i recently looked into getting some training at a local range, but apparently in nyc you can't even touch a handgun without a license. (there is an extra form you can submit with the application that let's you train without a license. i didn't know any of this at the time, and of course you can't submit it once you've already initiated the application process).

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Would Cush say this is a "reasonable" restriction to keep guns out of "the wrong hands"?

15. break25

break25 TS Member

Brian, the Pistol renewal I think is $340.00 for 3 years. The Rifle/Shotgun is $140.00 for 3 years.

CHAZZ

16. turnkeytom

turnkeytom TS Member

i.ve had my carry concealed permit for 30 years. am currently in le. my residence is in upper nys. About the interveiw.. Be on time , be honest, if you got this far they are most probally looking to see what you look like and how you present yourself to them. It's all about first impressions, you to them that is. my understanding of carry in nyc is that you have to show a need to have a permit to pocess a handgun in the five bouroghs and in westchester county. just getting the permit could be a bear but registering the weapon could take as long as 6 months. also be advised that to posess aweapon at home means AT HOME not outside ,not in your car, not anywhere but home.. I'm sure all of the info was in your packet you got with the forms and everything. anyway be advised it's alarge step. Good luck tkt..........

17. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Where I live, it is relatively simple to get a permit to carry.

You take a class, and then a test, and then qualify on the range. Doing this all in one evening. Having passed the test and the qualification, you are issued your permit if you can show a cause. You only need a cause of "self protection" as far as I know.

I'm not saying all county's in Iowa are as easy, but it seems to work for us here in Black Hawk County and I don't think we have to many problems that I am aware of.

Our permits here in Iowa are issued by the Sheriff's office, and not by city or state officials. (Thank God)

Hauxfan!

18. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Getting an NYC Pistol Permit - Final (Long)

http://yarchive.net/gun/politics/nycgun.html

Getting a Pistol Permit in NYC isn't as easy as it appears to be

http://www.pistolpermitattorneynyc.com/

-----------------------

Concealed Pistols Permits Drop in City
    By CHRISTOPHER FAHERTY
    Special to the Sun
    August 29, 2007

The number of New Yorkers who may carry pistols legally dropped this year, while permits issued to allow people to keep pistols in their home increased, according to police statistics.

Mayor Bloomberg has sought to cut the number ofconcealed weapons on city streets, and since he has been in office it has dropped dramatically. This year, 2,516 New Yorkers received a permit to carry a concealed pistol. The city issued 2,555 such permits in 2006, almost 50% fewer than the 4,789 that were given out in 2004.

The head spokesman for the police department, Deputy Commissioner Paul Browne, said the reduction in the number of permits issued is partly due to sharp increases in the fees holders must pay to renew their permits. He also said more scrutiny is placed on new applications than in the past. While the number of permits to carry pistols dropped from 2006, 27 more permits were given out this year to New Yorkers to keep pistols in their homes.

Still, the number of permits handed out to people who keep guns in their home has plunged under Mr. Bloomberg. In 2000, 24,031 permits were given out for household pistols, compared to 14,985 this year.

A spokesman for the National Rifle Association, Andrew Arulanandam, said the drop in permits is a reflection of the city's penchant for giving only wealthy New Yorkers gun permits.

"If you're a plain Joe or Jane, you're out of luck, and they're the people who really need protection," he said.

Mr. Browne said allegations that wealthy New Yorkers get preferential treatment for permits are flatly untrue.

Through a Freedom of Information Law request, The New York Sun received an official list of New Yorkers who have gun permits. The list includes Donald Trump, Donald Trump Jr., Robert DeNiro, and Ronald Lauder, among others.

A study released yesterday by the Geneva-based Graduate Institute for International Studies found that America is the most armed society in the world, with 90 guns for every 100 citizens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.