1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NY STATE SHOOT ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by RIOGUY, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RIOGUY

RIOGUY TS Member

Just wondering how things went at the New York State shoot this year. Did they get the squad on deck tower working? Things must have been good because I haven't seen any complaints. Thanks, Rioguy

2. ron (vt)

ron (vt) Member

Rioguy,

They only put up what squad was on bank 4. I think more than a few shooters missed their squad.

Ron

3. RIOGUY

RIOGUY TS Member

Thanks Ron, I quit going down after I missed a squad last spring by just a few minutes. I thought I had plenty of time but was late anyway due to short squads. I Decided to hold off and not make the long trip only to have this happen again and believe me when I say this, I got an earful today about it at a work session at our club, and even saw the lonely number in one of Joe Potoskie's pics. Sad that they gained so much ground down there by finally starting on time along with other things, only to mess up on this important part of the shoot, two shoots in a row.

4. rbsminc

rbsminc TS Member

I would like to offer this comment about the NYS Shoot. I believe they have done a great job in turning this event around and the effort should be recognized. Now to say it is perfect would be wrong and I think the changes needed to make it better are certainly within the reach of the management who have taken it this far. The information required to insure the participants reach their assigned banks on time is lacking. We finally decided that sitting on the line was about the only way we could be assured we would not miss our squads. We saw numbers jump from the leader board 70's right into the 100's...it did get our attention. I wondered why the public address system couldn't have announced the leader board changes as they took place. Did we have members miss their squads..yes we did. Was it a big problem..can't talk to that as I just don't know. All in all I say thanks and only offer the fact it needs some more work but you have come a long way. Yes, our leased RV spot is in the far back and that adds to the problem but running to get a visual of the leader board just doesn't make a positive statement and takes away from all the good that has been accomplished. Just my opinion.

Bill Edwards

5. 8point

8point Member

There was a 3 way tie for the two man team. Shootoff call....One team reported the second team had only one shooter on the grounds..The last team both left the grounds.The one man team wanted to get a different partner ( after a discussion ) it wasn't allowed . The two guys that showed up were declared winners, When they went to pickup thier buckles they found out that the buckles were awarded to the team that left early!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The new trophy committee in their infinite wisdow is going to track down the culprits ! ( Even though the committee gave the buckles to the team that left AFTER THEY MADE THEM SIGN FOR THE TROPHIES

Yeah we got rid of Spences crew because he screwed up a score last year !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Regarding the "squad tower," I agree it is not as handy now as in the past, but will assume it has something to do with the lottery system used for the banks now. As far as I'm concerned, what they did this year is just like at the Grand where they only showed one squad number. Not as nice as in the past, but not a real big deal. You should CYA and check your bank ahead of time anyway, otherwise you would end up late sometimes under either system.

Regarding the 2-man team trophy, it sounds like a simple mistake was made entering the winners in the book. Hey, mistakes happen, there was no ill intent. I trust that the buckles will be returned to the winners without much problem because I have a lot of confidence in those handling the matter. I believe the actual winners understand this also.

I will also say that those team trophies this year are the nicest I have ever seen them.

One comment I have is whether the 3S software can be modified so that a true leader board is shown on the monitors. What was shown appeared to be a listing of every shooter by overall, class, and category. The info was all there but each screen was not up long enough to sort out resident v. non-resident and category shooters; then it took what seemed like another 1/2 hour to get back to the screen you were interested in. It would be much more useful just to show 2 screens maximum for each of the various classes, categories etc., no need to list every shooter.

I had a good time, and want to say thanks to the NYSATA.

7. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

I was told at classification that I would either have to shoot handicaps at the 25-yard line, or shoot targets only (no prizes or options allowed) due to not meeting the minimum target requirement for the shoot. I knew that was the case and agreed it was correct, so I elected targets only from the 20-yard line. But then when I signed up for 200 singles on Friday & 200 more on Saturday I was told the same stipulations would apply even though I have more than enough targets to avoid any penalty in the singles category. When I questioned the reason for that despite the fact that the NYSATA shoot program book did not say that, I was basically told that was how it was going to be run. Now for the salt-in-the wound part. Guess what the first question I was asked when I went to pay was? You got it...."Would you like to play any options?". I won't be back.

8. porky

porky TS Member

First day at NYS State shoot. Classification opened at 8:30. Not bad.The classification window,wasn't open. One of the men came in and handed another a disk and said" I tried it again, but I still don't think it will work." At 10 AM the squadding window opened. The words were, " We can't get the pre-squadding to work. If you presquadded, you'll have to go back to the classification window and start over." Then the problem was that 60 or 70 people were standing in line at the window. Didn't shoot on Tuesday. Shooting finally started at 11 AM that morning. And they didn't give any refunds on pre-squadding either.

9. LATA

LATA TS Member

Nice to see things have not changed in NY. I sure don't miss it!

LATA

10. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

overall the shoot was run pretty well. The weather gave us just about every condition imaginable. Our squad had a good time. Could have used more banks on Thursday. But the championship days were run smooth as silk-they ran the shooters through really well! Sometimes its best not to make up a preconceived opinion about something til you actually see how it goes. When I first heard about NY having straw draw for the traps that you shoot I didn't think it would be too good. But after shooting the week that way- it wasn't any big deal at all. Hats off to the shoot management...things are improving.

11. bt_shooter

bt_shooter TS Member

I also think the overall shoot went good. Other than the complications on Tuesday, every thing started on, or around the time it was suposed to. The NY state shoot may not be the best state shoot in the US, But I'm a NY resident and that's what we have. Theirs people on here talking about how bad our state shoot is. If you can do it better, than please do. I respect everyone who puts their time and effort into makeing this happen because they don't have to do the job, but they do. Mistakes happened but they got by them. Please, if you don't want to put the time and effort into a major shoot like that, than don't go bashing it.

Luke Eames

12. RIOGUY

RIOGUY TS Member

Overall it appears that things are getting better and with a little "tweaking" could once again be one of the better shoots. Sounds to me like they are on the right track, hopefully they hear the constructive suggestions and make a good judgement call on them. No bashing intended, just wanted to hear opinions other than my own.

13. ron (vt)

ron (vt) Member

I have to agreed with puablo and bt_shooter that some things went well, but a there some things of I question the logic of........................

- Only using 8 banks on for Singles and Handicap and only 12 fields for doubles on Thursday . Program said 12 banks for the singles events and 16 for doubles were to be used. I was on the third flight out on doubles and got done at 08:20 PM. They also again used less than the number of usual fields for doubles on Friday and Sunday. Things got done later as a result.

- On Tuesday, I understand they had trouble downloading the presquadding to the main computer. Being a new system, I would like they might try this earlier to catch any problems.

- I'm not really too fond of the lottery system. I understand the reasoning of it but I would rather see something else done to get people to squad on the underused banks. There were a couple of times I would like to shot down on the west end because of the wind.

- On a positive note, the shoot did start on time every day except for 15 minutes late one day and of course, Tuesday.

- Things went fairly smooth, but the number of shooters was down from previous years.

- Labeling the squad sheets with the shooter's name, position, class/yardage
    was a nice idea.

- They had a really large generator on hand in case they lost power like last year. Bravo to the shoot management for that one.
    Ron

14. 1Trapshooter1

1Trapshooter1 TS Member

Ron, attendance was not down at all, in fact, the New York State shoot is now a 4 point All-American shoot.

Chris

15. pjh

pjh Member

8 Point,, The other two man team didnt want to shoot with another partner but wanted to know if they wanted to choose one of the team members and go one on one. when they said no it was fine and I forfeited. I cant believe they gave the trophies to the other guys.. Glad you got them back Peter Hamann

16. pjh

pjh Member

Actually this brings up a good point.. since we are making up a wish list.. how about a list of categories and scores with possible shoot offs. If I wasn't on the grounds 5 hours after an event I would have known I was in a doubles shoot off.

17. ron (vt)

ron (vt) Member

Chris,
    Sorry, but I must respectfully disagree with you on the attendance. Here are some figures from previous years on Saturday's singles: 1997- 709 shooters, 1998-744, 1999-655, 2000-622, 2001-661, 2002-592, 2003-671, 2004-681, 2005-651, 2006-447 (rainy year), this year 539. New York may be a 4 points on the All-American list, but if the attendance keeps declining, it won't be long.

Ron

18. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

I arrived early evening on Thursday and they were still shooting. They must have run a little late.
    I participated Friday,Saturday and Sunday. I was going to say I shot those days but let's leave it at participated.
    I though the shoot has improved as far as starting on time and there were fewer squads with holes. Targets were OK.
    I am not crazy about the lottery system but it is fair.
    My biggest complaint is not knowing when it is time to be on the ready. Hopefully this will be corrected next year.

Break all the orange ones :>)

Dr. Honk

19. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

ttt for NY

20. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

There were a lot of familiar faces missing from the shoot. I was told earlier in the month that a lot of the local shooters were going to boycott the shoot as they were unhappy with the way Bob Spence's cashiering contract was terminated. Personally, I did not like having to pay for Sunday's Doubles and Handicap on Saturday in order to play the $20 HAA lewis class. THIS HAS TO CHANGE. I don't think the target setting was up to par as evidenced by only 1-200 for the entire shoot. As for putting just 1 number on the big board, this stinks as there is no way to know if there is a 2 hour wait on your trap. Larry Evans

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.