1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NY State Shoot Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Jun 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

The NYS shoot has the following rules for handicap penalty yardage:

Handicap: * Shooters not having at least 500 registered Handicap targets shot from
    September 1, 2010 through July 4, 2011 (inclusive) and a total of 1,500 registered
    Handicap targets combined for the current year and previous two years, shall be
    penalized as follows:

I currently have 550 handicap targets this target year and 300 last year. I'm planning on getting another 500 handicap targets between now and July 4th. This will put me at 1350 handicap targets between 2010-11. Obviously I don't make the minimum target requirement to not shoot penalty yardage.

If I shoot the warm-up caps on July 5th and the preliminary caps on July 6th and do so for "targets only" from the 20 instead of shooting them at the penalty yardage am I still able to reclassify before the actual state shoot events start and shoot from the 20?

This is the NYSATA rules on doing so:

Shooters who shoot preliminary events (#1-5) in penalty class or penalty yardage, and
    then meet the target requirements stated during the shoot, may re-classify.

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

But you're not planning on shooting "preliminary events (#1-5) in penalty class or penalty yardage, ...".

And you left out the sentence "Declaration of targets only status must be made at the time of classification and holds for the entire tournament."

So, since you plan on shooting targets only on the first two days of the tournament, and since that declaration stands for the entire tournament, the answer to your question is "No, you will not be able to reclassify."

The actual state tournament starts on July 5th. The fact that some early events are called "warm-up" or "preliminary" doesn't mean they aren't part of the tournament. The tournament has one shoot number registered with the ATA and that includes all of the events (1 -14).

3. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

If I shoot those two shoots on the 5th and 6th at the penalty yardage I would be able to reclassify though?

4. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Yes.

5. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Ok, thanks for the clarification. Maybe I'll just head to the PA Grand July 1st-2nd and shoot those two handicap events. I don't want to shoot penalty from the 23 until I earn my way back there. I have enough problems as it is.

6. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

That will work assuming that you intend to shoot the PA Grand for "targets only," because their target minimums are similar to NY State's.

If you're going just to get targets and New York is your State Shoot, then it's probably a good sacrifice.

See pages 15 and 16 of the program (link above.)

7. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Yes, PA will be for targets only too. I'm leaving Thursday for the PA State shoot so I can pick up another 200 targets.

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Man up and shoot the penalty yardage...sheesh!!

Curt

9. tj303

tj303 Member

Penalty yardage is the ATA's way of making you pay 'dues' to the established shooters. There is no reason to shoot beyond the yardage you belong in by average. TJ

10. Josephdog

Josephdog TS Member

Or, you may pick up targets at local shoots:

Floyd Wilson Memorial Father's Day Shoot - Jun 19th
    Falcon Trap & Game Club - West Henrietta
    Sheridan Transit Rod And Gun Club - Grand Island - Jun 22nd
    Sardinia Rod And Gun Club - Sardinia Ny - Jun 23rd
    Holland Rod & Gun Club - Holland Ny - Jun 23rd
    Holfield Rod And Gun Club - Bloomfield Ny - Jun 25th
    Sardinia Rod And Gun Club - Sardinia Ny - Jun 26th
    Boston Valley Conservation Soc - Boston Ny - Jun 30th
    Wyoming Valley Rod And Gun - Java Village Ny - Jun 30th

11. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

JoeP,

There's no way I get the min. target requirements in unless I head to PA July 1-2nd.

Right now I'm at 850 targets:

June 16-19 PA State + 200 targets
    June 25 Hol-Field + 100 targets
    Lima July 2nd + 100 targets
    Springwater July 4th + 100 targets

I will have to shoot every weekend from now until the NY State shoot to get the minimum targets in and I'm still 200 targets short. So it's either shoot penalty, which I prefer not to or head to PA. So it looks like I have to head to PA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shoot or not shoot a spike in ny state