1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NY STATE - Handicap Champion!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ontariogal, Jul 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ontariogal

ontariogal Member

Congratulations to Catherine Barney - very challenging targets this afternoon and her 95 took the whole she-bang, no shoot-off required!

According to the program, she's the third female to win the State Shoot Handicap since 1951. Well done, friend!

b.

2. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Congratulations Catherine that was great shooting on very tricky targets.

Terry.

3. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

I have shot many times on squads with Catherine and she was a great squad leader and fun to shoot with. Nice shooting Cat congratulations on your win :).

Maybe see you at the NE Grand. I miss shooting with all of you.

Martin

4. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I really thought she was onto something with that duct tape! Great stuff, but it turns out she didn't use it on Sunday.

Oh well, guess I'll just keep some in my shooting bag to keep my gun going.

Nice win.

5. claybuster77

claybuster77 Member

Yes, a huge congratulations are in order. She took on some very tough targets and even tougher competition Sunday. She shot great all week, and this was the culmination of a lot of blood(literally), sweat and tears. I couldn't be more proud of her, but she's starting to run out of space on her half of the trophy room!

BTW Terry, that chart of yours really works, as evident by her shooting. She's been harping on me to start using it, there really is no excuse, it just seems so far to the basement,LOL!

Dan

6. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Hi Dan.

It was good to meet both of you and a real pleasure to see that score from her. Hard work on the chart always pays off and it came at the right time for her. State Handicap Champion is a great title to have! She will have that great memory for a lifetime and I am sure she will win some more titles over there.

I had a 92 and missed 4 on the last trap, they were tough.

Terry.

7. wdr-NY

wdr-NY TS Member

I shot the NYSATA home grounds at Cicero for the very first time in 1990 (So I have plenty of experience at Cicero under my belt). New York gets harped on for the quality of the trap help, long lines and, of course, the weather (and I do a lot of harping on New York, trust me).

This past week was the fourth time I shot a large shoot at the NYSATA since I returned to shooting last year.

Let me say this... Doug Duncan, Brian Whalen and the rest of the folks who put on the shoot did a really wonderful job.

They have no control over the weather, but they have control over how they handle the weather (ie, getting shooters off the line, back on the line, rain sheets, etc) and they did an A+ job of handling all of those issues this past week. Considering there were at least two major weather systems that came through during events, Doug and his gang had their hands full and they came through with flying colors.

The trap help were the same folks that had been scoring and loading houses for us the last three times I was up there. But I can tell you that I don't recall any issues that members of me or my dad's crew had with the scorers etc. The help seemed better prepared and the trap supervisors were on the ball to lend a hand to the scorers who were new to the sport... and that made all the difference.

The targets were beautiful... probably the absolute best you could expect with the varying weather conditions the trap mechanics had to deal with. On Sunday, we had issues with the voice releases on our bank during the handicap championship (related to the huge amount of rain we got the day before) and Doug Duncan and Vince (the trap mechanic) were down to our field several times to get things squared away. While I didn't hold my temper well, they did... and they got it all figured out.

I often times, unfairly, compare NYSATA to the PSSA. Everyone knows that Elysburg puts on a world class shoot at a world class facility... and that probably skews my perception of NY by comparison.

But, this past week, Doug Duncan and the folks at the NYSATA did a great job and I'm proud of how the shoot turned out.

(Now all we need is the RJStuart system or twice the number of squadding windows, and we'll be locked cocked and ready to rock.)

Well done, NYSATA.

Walker

8. wdr-NY

wdr-NY TS Member

Catherine... congratulations!!! Well done.

Walker

9. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

What yardage?

Jim C

10. wdr-NY

wdr-NY TS Member

I think Catherine shoots from the 18 or 19 (not any more). Great shooting!

Walker

11. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

I've shot at both Westy Hogan in Elysburg last year and I LOVE shooting at the NYS Home grounds. I learned how to shoot there and would go if I could to every shoot they host. I think there great. Great people great shooters and great targets. I've shot some of my very best scores there in the wind and rain.

Martin #0765881

12. ron (vt)

ron (vt) Member

I'll agree with Walker. The shoot was extremely well run this year. Thanks again, New York. I left Sunday AM and missed the fun in the caps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

doug duncan trap shooting