1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NY Minimum Age to Shoot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WonderBoy, Apr 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WonderBoy

WonderBoy TS Member

Does anyone know what is behind the NY State law requiring all sub jr's to be at least 12 yr old to shoot?

2. gasman03

gasman03 Member

Do you have to have hunter safety? That the age in Nebraska

Corey

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

The age use to be higher, I think at least 14, may have been 16, but changed a few years back.

Persons under the age of 16 generally may not possess any firearms or ammunition in New York. N.Y. Penal Law ยง 265.05.

This law does not apply to the possession of a rifle or shotgun (or the appropriate ammunition) by the holder of a hunting license or permit used in accordance with state law. Id.

In addition, persons between the ages of 12 and 15 may use and possess firearms (not including assault weapons) at a shooting range if under the "immediate supervision, guidance and instruction" of a military officer, certified instructor, parent, guardian, or otherwise qualified person as provided by statute. Sections 265.20(a)(7) and 265.20(a)(16).

---------------------------------

7. Possession, at an indoor or outdoor shooting range for the purpose
    of loading and firing, of a rifle or shotgun, the propelling force of
    which is gunpowder by a person under sixteen years of age but not under
    twelve, under the immediate supervision, guidance and instruction of (a)
    a duly commissioned officer of the United States army, navy, air force,
    marine corps or coast guard, or of the national guard of the state of
    New York; or (b) a duly qualified adult citizen of the United States who
    has been granted a certificate as an instructor in small arms practice
    issued by the United States army, navy, air force or marine corps, or by
    the adjutant general of this state, or by the national rifle association
    of America, a not-for-profit corporation duly organized under the laws
    of this state; or (c) a parent, guardian, or a person over the age of
    eighteen designated in writing by such parent or guardian who shall have
    a certificate of qualification in responsible hunting, including safety,
    ethics, and landowner relations-hunter relations, issued or honored by
    the department of environmental conservation; or (d) an agent of the
    department of environmental conservation appointed to conduct courses in
    responsible hunting practices pursuant to article eleven of the
    environmental conservation law.

4. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

They are currently working to reduce this to 10 yrs. old.

5. WonderBoy

WonderBoy TS Member

I read in the Empire Grand Program that sub jr's had to be at least 12 yrs old to shoot. I was completely unaware of such a BS law, that would outlaw a 10 yr old from shooting registered trap

6. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Wow,

In Missouri for youth deer and turkey hunts a kid has to be six and capable of shouldering, aiming and firing the gun. Under direct supervision of a properly licsensed adult.( appropriate hunting tag for the species and season)

We take kids on our trap shooting team from about age 8. and if they are 100 pounds or more are usually (depending on the kid, of course)in a 12 Gauge asoon as we can get them in it.

7. WonderBoy

WonderBoy TS Member

The youngest person to the 27 yd line was an 11 yr old...and if you were 11 when you reached the 27yd line...at what age do you think he started shooting....

8. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

The bottom line for gun clubs in NY is they need to be aware when they have young people shooting at the club that they are following the law in regard to the "immediate supervision" rules.

A can of worms that need not be opened!

9. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Dear Concerned Shooters(12 year age law in NYS)

......This law is quite old. I first learned of the "12" minimum around 1980. I was contacted by a local range officer who was signing up Boy Scouts for the annual Camp Massawepi. I told him to contact the local Sheriff for particulars. THATS when I first heard of the law. AND THE BOY SCOUT's had to change it to 12 minimum....Their insurance company (Boy Scouts) also put it in the policy coverage in NYS! Respectfully submitted.....X-Jet Boat Bill

10. ctreay

ctreay Member

There was a bill introduced in Albany last year to roll the age back to 10 but the downstate dumbocrats locked it up and won't let it out of committie.

ctreay

11. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

There are some 10 year olds I would feel safer around than some "adults" I have seen at the ranges around here.

One "adult" put a load of 7 1/2 shot into the ground 2 feet in front of, and directly between his station and mine at a registered trapshoot last year.

12. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Cripes, Jason Booker was on the 27 by 12 years old!

13. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

I think the 12 year old law has been around awhile. I remember talking to a guy from N.Y. who said he had to take his kids 10 and 11 out of state to attend trap shoots and let them shoot. Another example of liberal politicans thinking they know better than the kids parents!

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    More liberal nanny state male bovine fecal matter.

The state knows how to raise your children better than you do.

15. Advsporttech.com

Advsporttech.com TS Member

Welcome to the people's democratic republic of NY comrades! Please stay and dont have fun.

Regards,
    C. Schumer
    S. Silver

16. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Jet Boat....

And people wonder why I moved out of Schumer & Silverland...LOL

Too many restrictions up there, and the TAXES Argggg.

Here in SC we have a youngster who is maybe 11 now and has been shooting as long as we have been here (3 years) and can kick us older folks butt any day...This youngster is ulta-safe, and we all enjoy shooting with him.

Dave in SC

PS: Yep, when I was a boy scout Rifle and Shotgun Merit Badge Councelor, I had a tough time with the age problem...Thier requirements were 14 years of age...

17. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Some children are mature enough at age 12 to shoot and be around guns,while other children arent at age 30. I dont care how old they are if you can be mature safe and work the action safely, under direct supervision let them shoot.

Law is law and while we dont like them all they are in place to cover someones butt somewhere.

We have an 11yr old daughter who we would love to have shoot with us, she was all aboput going to buy all the atire and gun, but she is in no way mature enough mentally to start shooting. Shes the same height as her mom, and has her by a few pds but is no way ready to try shooing MOMs Citori, or the Beretta 390 we got for her.

Jerry Lewis

18. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Jerry,

You and Joanne are parents that know the real world. I can imagine how much you two would love to see your daughter shooting, but that will come with time.

Good for you for waiting for her to mature...

Dave

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    "<i>Some children are mature enough at age 12 to shoot and be around guns,while other children arent at age 30...</i>"

Bingo.

I've known six year olds who were allowed to roam with a .22 rifle unsupervised, another kid a bit older carried a loaded Ruger Bearcat. My own son was not mature enough until he was 12, and I made him pass hunters ed first (which he did and scored higher than the adults.) And there are obviously adults who are so immature and reckless that they should never own a gun. Like the idiots who shoot into bushes because they think they saw an animal, or drink while shooting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

2014 nys legal age to shoot at a shooting range

what is the minimum age to trapshoot