1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NY Bunker

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Joe Potosky, May 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

New trap twist at Binghamton Gun Club

The Binghamton Gun Club, the most innovative facility for shotgun sports in the Southern Tier, on Sunday quietly unveiled its latest innovation, an Olympic bunker trap.

The trap's innovator and builder, Rick Chordash of Ithaca, welcomed several high-caliber and curious international-style shooters to the Kirkwood site for a "soft opening"-- ostensibly a run-through to make sure everything is in working order prior to the June 7 Empire State Games qualifier there.

The 15-trap Olympic bunker is the only one in New York or New England. The closest others are in Allentown and Williamsport, Pa. The Empire Games has always shot international-style trap, but heretofore it's always been on single-trap "wobble-trap" set-ups. In fact, Binghamton has hosted the Games several times but tore out its wobble trap (a previous Chordash innovation), excavated and built the bunker in the last couple of months.

Olympic bunker trap, like American trap, features five shooter stations with the traphouse 16 yards in front of the shooter in American trap and 15 meters in Olympic trap. But that's where the similarity ends.

Each bunker trap station has three traps of its own, throwing birds in three different variations of direction, height and speed. The lower-profile, harder clay birds in bunker trap are thrown 60-64 mph whereas American traps throw them 43-44 mph. American traps oscillate and throw birds randomly in fixed directions while bunker traps are computer-controlled so that each competitor gets exactly the same targets in a round, although in a varied sequence.

Like ATA trap, Olympic Trap is a 12-gauge game except that bunker competitors use faster 7/8-ounce loads.

The Binghamton bunker facility is set to the specifications of the International Shooting Sports Federation (ISSF) and USA Shooting.

Most bunkers are made of block or concrete but Binghamton's is a unique wooden structure, designed in two 30-foot pressure-treated sections 8-feet tall and 8-feet deep, and joined and installed by Kennedy Hardwoods of Preble. The rep from Pro-Matic traps in Missouri who oversaw the installation told Chordash that the facility rated in the top 10 percent of those he's seen.

Chordash is an international trap and skeet shooter who had been looking to build a practice facility near his home for years. When he approached the Binghamton Gun Club board last year they agreed for 2008.

Now in his 60s, Chordash is a member of the New York State ATA Trapshooting Hall of Fame but gave up the American style game for the international version in 1983. He was first alternate for the Olympic team in 1984; has been a member of eight national teams and competed in the World Championships four times, winning the world skeet title in 1991 partnered with multi-time Olympian Brett Erickson and Jay Waldron. He's also shot in the Pan American Games and nine World Cups.

Chordash will likely share his expertise in clinics at the new facility in the relatively near future, and hopes to make the club the center of international shooting for the state.

Club Website:

http://www.binghamtongunclub.com/

2. mike c

mike c TS Member

OK, i can't wait to try this game. How much per round and when do they have open shooting. I know there are a bunch of guys that will come with me. Is there someone i should contact to make arrangments.

Mike C

3. Joe Potosky

I would visit the clubs website for information not provided in the article...

http://www.binghamtongunclub.com/

4. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Awesome.

Add another dot to the map.

Hopefully you can get some local interest, I'm sure there are a bunch of juniors jumping all over this news.

If you can handle wobble trap then bunker is wobbles on steroids. A whole 'nuther level of difficulty.

Too late for this year but in 2009 you should submit an application to host a Junior Olympic qualifier at the club.

5. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

I checked the club's website, I didn't see anything referring to the bunker other than they have one.

the rates are very reasonable (no rate for bunker yet) but juniors shoot for 1/2 price.

that is a HUGE incentive

need to fix that saturday by appointment deal though - what's up with that?

6. 682LINY

682LINY Member

I have shot at this club,,,one of my shooting buddies has a house up there,,and is a member,,they did not have bunker when I was there,,,but nice folks,,,,I am planing a trip up to try it out

7. Baber

Baber TS Member

Guys....

This is the second bunker in New York. There is another one on Long Island.

TB

8. Joe Potosky

Where is there an active bunker on Long Island?

I had tried to research this last year and came up empty...

Thanks

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Joe,

Maidstone Rod and Gun Club, East Hampton, New York. HMB

10. rbsminc

rbsminc TS Member

For those who might be interested in the new Olympic Trap at BGC I can offer this information:

Club is open Tuesday and Thursday from 2 pm to 9 pm. Sundays during the spring/summer sporting clays season the club opens at 9 am and closes at 4 pm.

Rates for Olympic Trap are $5.00 (members) with non members at $6.00. Jr's up the age of 18 shoot for $3.00. Membership can be purchased for $25.00 so if you do the math membership is worth every dime you might spend.

After shooting the past 8 years over a Beomat wobble trap at BGC, I and others feel the 15 trap bunker is actually kinder and gentler. Targets speeds are from 61 to 64 MPH but target presentation over a real bunker is simply better.

Hope this helps while the web site gets updates for this new venue. Bill Edwards

11. RidefastShootstraight

RidefastShootstraight TS Member

IMO

DTL = Dribble
    Bunker = SlamDunk

Enough said.

12. rbsminc

rbsminc TS Member

Look until I find my decoder ring can anyone explain what rides fast shoots straight is saying?

13. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

I am sorry my Brother of Decodership but the rules of the Decoder Ring Society of the World will not allow us to tell you so you will be lost on the what he is saying until you find it again so ... go forth and search my lost Brother, go forth and search for the Ring of Decodership.

14. RidefastShootstraight

RidefastShootstraight TS Member

sorry I forgot to wear my decoder ring before I posted that one, sorry.

what I meant, Down the Line(American Trap) is like Dribbling a ball, everyone can do it, some can dribble a lot more than others, some can't be bothered to dribble anymore once they feel they have dribbled enough.

Bunker(Olympic Trap) is like.... if you haven't tried, you won't know, why would you want to dribble the ball all day when you can slamdunk and look so good? try shoot a 120/125 you are a world class athlete, not just another trap shooter.

I 've just put my hardhat on, so folks feel free to throw books or bricks this way!!

can't ride and can't shoot today coz I am too drunk...

15. rbsminc

rbsminc TS Member

Before this gets out in the weeds..thanks for the decoding. Binghamton Gun Club invites all who might want to try or continue their interests in Olympic Trap. No bricks, no books to toss at anyone. Put away the hooks.

16. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

yep - 120/125 is pretty good shootin.

world class shootin.

and therein lies the rub - a 96% average in ATA won't get the job done. but in international shooting circles with an average like that you're in the hunt at every event you attend.

have to say as a parent of a junior shooter that the rates for the new bunker in NY are REALLY attractive. wish we were shooting for $3.00 a round. congratulations on the new bunker and even more so for your support of youth shooting.

do you plan to host registered events and host a JO qualifier?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gun club long island bunker