1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NW Wisconsin CRAB CAKES

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by JACK, Dec 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

To: laura!
    Date: Thu, Dec 22, 2011 - 04:28 PM ET
    Email: palletjack@comcast.net

Crab Cakes

1 6oz can crab meat, drained well, picked for hard items and paper from top and bottom.

In a med bowl

1 egg

Add 2 TB lite mayo (very important ingredient). Regular mayo is fine too. Beat well

Add a half dozen shakes of Old Bay seasoning

Some sea salt and a grind or two of pepper Crumble 6 to 10 saltines and add to egg mixture.

Chop (finely) 3 or 4 green top onions, about 1/3 bell pepper and add to mixture bowl. Regular onion is ok too.

Add crab meat and mix with your hands till thoroughly mixed. You will note that the mixture is moist and does not want to stay together. But separate into 3 or 4 balls and lay aside on a piece of waxed paper.

In a non stick skillet add 2 TB of oil. Any kind will do but grape seed oil is the healthiest. Heat to just over medium heat. Med is too low, and med high is too high. As it approaches the heat level or just below it put a ball of crab mixture into the warmed oil. With your fingers press it down to about 1 inch (gently). It will not seem like it wants to stay together but as it cooks it will firm up perfectly. Do the same with the other crab balls. If it separates at a corner or side, leave it. Don’t try and press it together.

Cook covered for about 5 minutes and you then note that it may be firmed up. It should be. Flip carefully and cook covered for another 4 minutes on MEDIUM heat. I flip with two spatulas. One to flip with and the other to control the flip as a gentle maneuver.

You are really missing a bet if you eat them as I did. They are good stand alone but exceptional as a beef replacement on a hamburger bun. Just lemon is all you need as a flavor enhancer. But with tomato and lettuce they are a great beef replacement. Makes enough for 2 for dinner or 3 for lunch.

Put a crab cake on an English muffin and add a slice of American cheese or some grated cheddar and heat in oven till melted. That is good too. I do those for my wife.

This recipe is essentially the same for salmon cakes or tuna cakes. All good.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Canned crab meat. Tsk tsk tsk. I feel sorry for you.

We have fresh, succulent, delicious, sweet Dungeness crab here. The best eating, most flavorful crab there is.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Jack, it appears that you and I are cooking fools so how about a throw down?

4. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

And.......it's the State Crustacean of Oregon!!!

5. ScottEslick

ScottEslick Member

Brian...I agree

MARYLAND BLUE CRABS!!!

Merry Christmas

Scott

6. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

Scott has it right, the ONLY crabs, are Maryland Blue Crabs. Those of you not in MD or even PA have no idea how to season steamed crabs. Nothing like steamed crabs and cold beer in the summertime.

Oscar

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I certainly do not disagree with you fresh "crabby" guys...

We get King crabs and some other breed from AK, but Dungs, or Blues, would be an improvement.

But,, try this method... It makes great cakes. I'll take pics next time around.

8. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Md. Blues all the way.........there ain't nothing better(sorry about the double negitive)

D.P.Reynolds.............. from Maryland!

9. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Maryland Blue Crabs and Natty Bo. can't wit to get back to Bmore this summer. Haven't been to Maryland for a couple of years. Last time had crabcakes at Jennings Cafe in Catonsville on our way thru to Ocean City. Went to "Crab Bag" on strip on OC had allyou can eat crabs for $24. Great feed.

10. GW22

GW22 Active Member

This sounds great, Jack.

But today I'm buying the ingredients for that carmel apple pie you recommended. The video makes it look so simple and my mouth is watering just thinking about it. Am I correct -- there's actually nothing in the "filling" of that pie except the apples and whatever carmel drizzles down inside? In any case it sure looks good, and I'm looking forward to serving it at my big family dinner on Christmas!

THANKS for sharing your good stuff w/ us.

-Gary

11. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

MIA,

Not sure if you have a Costco available where you live but when we can't get fresh blue crabs here in St.Louis area we get canned lump back-fin meat from Phillips Crab House at Costco. A little pricey at about $18 for a 1 pound can but well worth it. About as close to fresh as you can get.

Before anyone wonders how I get fresh, live blue crabs in St. Louis, there is a place called "Bob's Seafood" in the Delmar Loop. He drives to Gulf weekly and buys fresh seafood all week and sells it at his shop on Saturday mornings. The blucrabs are in 100# boxes lined with wet burlap and are quite alive when he gets here. The crabs are a little smaller from the Gulf and there are females mixed in but they steam up right nice and taste the same as crabs from the bay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.