1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Nursing a Dove for now how do I do it??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by need to shoot more, May 27, 2013.

1. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

I found a Dove all day hanging out in the back yard, does not seem to fly and not real quick either running.I put it in a clothes basket with a lid. Its in the shade with water I am thinking about bringing it in? Lots of cats around.
    Any suggestions on how to care for it.

Jim

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Get it some bird seed they like millet, milo, and other small seeds

Are you going to do it like a true redneck, nurse it back to life so you can shoot AT it LOL

You notice I said AT it, because that is what usually ends up when I go dove huntin

3. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

I would check with the local Fish and Game officials. They sometimes take a dim view of people who possess game birds out of season, even with the best of intentions. Ron

4. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Look in the phone book for a wildlife rehabilitator. In some states you can be prosecuted for harboring a wild animal without a license. Pennsylvania is one such state. Your local Wildlife Conservation Officer/Game Warden (or whatever they are called in your area) can probably direct you to a rehabilitator.

If it has a short stubby tail, it may have just fledged from he nest. Mom is probably somewehre near by in that case. If the bird shows any signs of being wounded, then that is an entirely different case. Doves, being a prey species suffer high level of stress. Best bet is keep it in a covered box with ventilation holes but in a quiet area till you can get it to a rehaber.

There are couple of such groups in western PA. If you are anywhere near there, look for Skye Spirit near Harrisville or the Animal Rescue League Wildlife Center in Verona (Pittsburgh suburb).

My daughter is a licensed PA Wildlife Rehabiilitator but she is currently going to veterinary school a long way from home. I can see if I can catch her to get more detailed info.

5. J Shannon

J Shannon Member

6. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Got in touch with the daughter. here is her reply

If it has a short, rounded tail, it is a baby dove and it just needs moved to abe under a bush or something like that. His parents are still taking care of it and it just isn't big enough to fly yet (their tails need to be a certain length).

If it has a pointed tail, and is doing that, he should call a rehabber because it is an adult bird that is injured

Here is a good site to find a rehabber. Even if there isn't one close, if he talks to someone in his state, they can likely refer him to a closer rehabber

http://wildliferehabinfo.org/contactlist_mnpg.htm

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Pop the breast out and soak in water in the fridge for two hours. Then rinse it and marinate in italian dressing overnight in the fridge. Then............

Oh wait, that's not the help you needed?

8. burtona

burtona Member

Leave it alone unless you plan to eat it. Millions of doves die every year and become food for something. Foxes, cats, or ants, nature intended things to work that way.
    Dave

9. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

doves have an 85% annual mortality rate

10. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

+1 with grntitan!

In Argentina they eat 40% of the grain crop.

In Bolivia they eat 80% of the grain crop.

Lets not let that happen here. They are so tasty!

Randy

11. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

I think Matt has it right.

12. need to shoot more

OK its in the house in a cage with seed and water. It is a mature Mourning Dove in S.E. Pa. It is missing on of the long feathers from on wing. I am aware about possesion of game.I lend a helping hand when I can will not let the cats get it.

Thank For the responses, it did cross my mind about the marinade :)

Jim

13. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

It may have had a run in with a car or window. It sounds like it might have a head injury. If so, he next day or two will tell the story. If it is bleeding in the brain, he will most likely not survive the night or maybe tomorrow without medical intervention (and maybe not even then). If he got lucky and just got a concussion without bleeding it may come around in a day or two. If it does not drink, dehydration is a likely result. You may have to try giving it some water in an eye dropper. Save that for tomorrow and see how he is acting. If he gets very lethargic, he may be going into dehydration but if he is still a bit active just let he be for the night. Cover the cage with a towel or such to keep he in the dark so he does not get to agitated and see what he is doing in the morning.

Good luck.

14. need to shoot more

well my guy is doing well eating,drinking and sitting on a perch. I may take him out this weekend in the cage and see how he does. He does some fluttering in the cage but not a lot and he is defniately not timid or afraid. I will keep everbody posted.

Jim

15. drgondog

drgondog Member

sounds like he has found a home..

16. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Jim...

Get a picture b4 you let him go...post on here...please.

Great story!

milt

17. need to shoot more

OK bird lovers, I went outside with the bird today and released. No flying for him he is a walker.He is in better shape than when I first found him. I guess he was hungry and thirsty before. I may call a rehabber now for the time being back in the house for now.

18. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Fat'n him up until September then have your friend throw him in the air and bust him with some 7.5's. Then refer back to my first post.

God made Doves so there would be something to look forward too in September.

19. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Don't condemn you for your good nature. Quite the opposite. Years ago I dated a girl that hit a dive while driving with her girlfriend. They felt so bad they picked it up, put it in a shoe box and ran it to the vet. The vet told them to let it go by the roadside because there is not much he could do for it. They insisted that he do something, he did... He charged them $160.00. It died on the way home

20. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Many years ago, my cousin and I were fishing along a local river, when we heard something walking in the weeds.

We found a 1/2 grown, skinny raccoon, that appeared to be blind.

We boxed it up, and drove it about 12 miles to a vet my Grandmother worked for, to see if anything could be done for it.

The old vet gave us he## for bringing it in, even though we stayed outside, and he insisted we return it to it's home area and release it.

We did as told, and watched it bang into the fence about 6 times, then large rocks, only to disappear into the weeds.

Later, my Grandmother explained that if it had gotten by this long, it possibly would be OK for a while longer, and that the old vet said to explain he was mad because of the threat of bringing in some other diseases to his office.

I can see his logic, but to a kid trying to help an animal, it seemed cruel.