1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

numbness in trigger hand

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by knutershooter, Jul 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

Anyone ever expirience numbness in your trigger hand after shooting? Lately I have been having discomfort in fingers and wrist. If so did anything help? padding on the palm of stock?

Thanks!

2. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I would get things check-out, any nerve or neck issues. Could be an aggrevated nerve or disc in your neck. Seek some professional help if it persists, I had tooooo!

3. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

I visit the Chiropractor.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a distinct possibility here. I just went through the whole nine yards, culminating in surgery.

There is a test you have to have, telling how conductive your Median nerve is.

If you have CTS it will be to a degree, mild, moderate, or severe via test results.

Do not piss around with this, because if it's CTS the longer you wait the worse the recuperation time is.

6 months now and still some vestigial tingling.

So get tested already.

HM

5. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Sure sounds like Carpel Tunnel Syndrome. I had exactly the same symptoms. The longer you wait to have the simple surgery done the more nerve damage that will occur.

Get to an orthopedic surgeon asap.

6. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

I had the same thing and the Dr. said that numness is the same as pain and we are lucky we did not have pain because it can be intence. Had the surgery and have never has any more trouble.

7. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Several years ago, I had an issue with numbness and tingling in my left hand. The first thing my doctor asked is "do you sleep on you left side"? I told him I sleep only on my left side. He recommended sleeping on my back as a first attempt to deal with the problem. It took a while before I could go to sleep on my back, and even longer before I would wake up on my back. After a few weeks the tingling and numbness went away. Now, I spend some time on both left and right sides, but try to stay on my back as much as possible.

Just my experience, your mileage may vary.

Michael

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Carpel tunnel. Find a Brown Hand Center location near you. Best way to affect that repair. Minimimally invasive.

9. shootsome

shootsome Member

I had that problem but once I sold the Cynergy the problem went away. Just kidding of course! I've had numbness from time to time in my right hand for about 10 years and it has not gotten worse. Just kind of a nuisance. Last time I had surgery (not the hand) they almost killed me and before the surgery the doctor told me the risks were very low. But evidently not zero. I've learned never to take the advise of the doc that will be making the money off the procedure.

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Don't fool around with it. My mom has a useless right hand because she kept putting off diagnoses and treatment.

I lost much of my strength in my left arm due to pinched nerves from slipped discs in my neck plus the nerve exits in the vertebrae has spurs on them. It reached the point where I could not shoot a round with my 12ga trap gun and had to use a lighter 20ga. The 12ga was just too heavy to hold up. Plus numbness and at times pain, like my arm was being broken.

Had surgery last spring to fuse three cervical vertibrae together, and that's solved a lot of problems. Quite a bit of strength has returned to my left arm, and no more numbness.

11. 700X-user

700X-user Member

Wear a wrist brace while you sleep. It keeps your wrist straight and allows the swelling to reduce slightly while you sleep. I have avoided surgery for several years and the numbness has been greatly reduced.

Ed

12. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

I agree with 700X - I have Carpal Tunnel syndrome and have had it since 1986. I control the numbness by wearing a "cock up splint" wrist protector at night when I sleep. You can buy them at any drug store (CVS, Walgreens, etc.) and they're like $10 to $20. Get the one with the rod that runs down the underside of your wrist.

I also take 600 milligrams of vitamin B-6 every day, and that strenghtens the tunnel that goes between your wrist and your palm. You need to do something about this right away, because this can cause muscle atrophy (loss of muscle) in your thumb and you won't be able to shoot at all any more. Been doing this for a long time, and I've avoided surgery...

Kevin

13. T.A.K.

T.A.K. Member

I had the same problem but it turned out to be a bulged disk in my neck (c5 c6) which pinches down on those nerves which affect your hand. I go to physical therapy for it and seems to help for the most part-beats surgery anyways.

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I know at least one guy that holes his gun so tight his hand goes numb. Maybe, you need a good recoil reducer to lighten up the need to hold so tight.

15. Bucko43

Knutershooter,

Do you happen to shoot a Ljutic?

If so, repetitive motion is what causes Carpal Tunnel. The people with the highest cases of Carpal Tunnel are grocery baggers. Pick it up, put it in the bag. Repeat, repeat, repeat. If you shoot a Ljutic, your tendency is to use your trigger finger to open and close the gun. Don't do that! You will wear out your trigger finger by giving it three times the work. Use your middle finger to open and close your gun (that's if you shoot a Ljutic).

Kevin

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I use my trigger finger to open my Ljutic, and have for over 25 years. No problem.

17. Bucko43

Someone with Carpal Tunnel would notice it immediately...

18. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Most likely C/T and the surgery is an out-patient 45 minute ordeal for me anywhat.

The doc said if we did the left hand, he was putting me out as I asked him too many questions. He was kidding as he was one of my top advanced mathematics students and live just around the corner from me.

Pretty simple surgery. I believe they cut a tendon that rubs across the bundle of nerves. THere is some healing time and I had to do thumb-littel finger exercises to regain my grip. After that everything was 100%.

WW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

numb trigger