1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Number one reason for inconsistancy?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by k80 hopeful, Jan 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k80 hopeful

k80 hopeful TS Member

Just wondering what most of you think the reason for scores that go all over the entire specturm. Thanks as always you all have been most helpful. Jean

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Inexperience. The more you shoot, the more similar will be your scores, Jean. Not necessarily better, but more consistent. They are usually better too, but that's a slow, slow climb.

Neil

3. grammie

grammie TS Member

Improper gun mount to start,,,,,too many hitches,,or to many moves to your mount,,,,,when it should be all in one fluid movement,,mount,,no hesitation,,PUUUlll,,,Bang!!!

Using the wrong "hold point" OVER the house!!! "Surprise"------LOST!!!!!!

Thinking!!!! Thinking far too much!!!! "Thinking" causes MORE lost targets than poor marksmenship,,,which in itseld dosen't mean "jack" because when shooting 100 targets,,,you hit 8 of them by being good or familiar with your shotgun,,,,You hit 2 of them by luck,,,,,,and you hit the other 90 by "hand&eye coordination"!!!!!

AKA Grammie............

4. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

Practice, Practice, and more practice................Roger

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Poor gun mounting procedure often related to eye issues!!

6. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Moving the eye when you call for the target. Call for the target and then go after it with the gun and the eye. Not the eye alone. The barrel/bead is the killer of targets not the eye.Do this the next time youi miss a target. See if your face and eye is in the position you started out in. Chances are they won't be. 99.99 of the time when I miss it's due to me shoting the target with my eye instaed of the bead/barrel combination. Daro Handy's book explains it better then I can. Once you start to see this you realize why on time pulling and or a great deal of patience is very,very important. When you yell pull and you don't see the bird it is( In my opinion!!!!) the minds natural reaction to think that it missed it. Sooooo.... The head lifts( In an effort to go LOOK for that target you didn't see!!!) then at just about that time the target leaves the house and you are close enough to the bead/barrel that it still looks pretty god and so you shoot. Lost!! And you say to yourself?? What the hell just happened? That looked great? But you didn't see the barrel /bead combination and as such you missed. Try what I am saying and I think you will find it will help. I can't do it mind you but I think I know what the problem is!!! Best advice is to learn to shoot the target when it comes out of the house. fast, slow, or on time. You just calmnly wait for it to appear, see where it is going and then move and shoot. Simple.... But Simple isn't the same thing as easy!! Good luck. Jeff

7. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

All good advice above...BUT......improper gunfit is the foremost culprit, followed closely by a lack of concentration[ie mental discipline]! And, like Neil said....the need for more practice!

8. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

laziness.

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Lifting the head. Just like golf. Most missing is due to lifting the head.

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Poor form, poor gun fit, not staying in the gun. Also poor practice habbits. As most people do not practice.

11. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

My experience is that inconsistency at a high level is usually associated with sleep (or lack there of). And, by at a high level, I mean a very good shooter who is off a bit, a few targets.

Big swings in consistency usually are at a much more newbie level. Lack of experience.

Jake

12. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

Looking at the beads and not the target.

13. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

Devil, I should have said, Lack of practice etc............I stand corrected.......Roger

14. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

# 1 Lifting the head.

# 2 Pushing or pulling the gun with your lead arm.

# 3 Not SEEING the TARGET.

All of the above is reason to re: think GUN FIT...

15. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Poor reflexes
    Lack of desire
    Stock fit and weight of the gun.

16. otnot

otnot Active Member

Not seeing the target well. Your brain can compensate for a lot of different variables but if you don't see the target clearly you can't hit it.

17. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

I thought that was a bladder problem. Mike LOL

18. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I think that is incontinence. Or something like that. Or maybe incompetent.

19. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

Lots of comments about practice, but practicing bad habits will slow progress so it becomes necessary to practice good habits.

I think everyone agrees lifting your head off the stock is a bad habit, jerking your body to follow the target is also a bad habit, as well as flinching (which may or may not be controllable).

My suggestion is then is to break down the process of breaking a target into actions, then practice the correct form of action until mastered, then move to the next problem spot.

For example, if you know you are lifting your head, just practice keeping your head locked onto the stock and not moving your eye. One can do this right at the 16yd line with live ammo (or at home dry firing but the situation and movements/reactions can't be duplicated), but to just concentrate on the problem of keeping your head on the stock and don't worry about the target breaking because for this session that is not the objective - keeping your head on the stock and eye movement is.

What might be the next problem area? Jerking/slapping the trigger? Swinging with your arms instead of upper body?

I'm a novice at trapshooting, but can shoot high-master scores with a pistol at 25 and 50yds. This was one of the training methods I used to get there.

I have learned that practice alone does not make perfect, but perfect practice is often the path to higher scores.

Mike

20. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

A bad trigger is number 1, because most people have no idea what a good trigger is. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.